Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR809... issues with sending audio OUT over HDMI OUT. Help!

Go down

TX-NR809... issues with sending audio OUT over HDMI OUT. Help! Empty TX-NR809... issues with sending audio OUT over HDMI OUT. Help!

Post  b737officeview Mon May 28, 2012 6:34 pm

Alright here is my setup...

Blu-Ray, Apple TV, Xbox 360 all connected via HDMI to the 809.
A Cable box connected via Component Video and an optical cable for audio to the 809.

HDMI Out (Main) -> Epson Projector
HDMI Out (Sub) -> 2x HDMI 3D splitter -> two identical Toshiba 46L5200U LED tvs.

I "assumed" (oops) that the HDMI out would carry sound from the Onkyo 809, but it appears more complicated. My goal is to be able to send video/audio to either the projector w/speakers powered by the Onkyo (this works fine) OR have the option of sending video and audio to the flat panel tvs to be played via their internal speakers. Best of all is if I could get all 3 video devices (projector AND 2 tvs) to play video / audio all at the same time.

If I select HDMI Out to either "Both" or "Both(Main) or Both(Sub)" I get video on all devices, which are all 1080p. I don't get sound on the TVs though, only via the wall speakers in the theater room. If I turn on HDMI RIHD which I think is control via HDMI, sometimes called HDMI CEC, then I get sound on the tvs when using the blu-ray player, Apple TV, and Xbox but NOT when using the cable box. Is there something about the fact my cable box is hooked up via component video and optical audio that prevents HDMI out from carrying audio? I can't hook up the cable box via HDMI because it is a Motorola DCX3400 with Comcast and it refuses to handshake with more than one video device at a time via HDMI (thanks Comcast!) and I get a green screen if I try to have more than one tv on at a time.

PS: Selecting "Audio Out TV: On" actually kills sound to everything, not sure what that is supposed to do.

Can anyone help me see if I am doing something wrong with the setup. I pre-wired my newly constructed basement so I have very limited options for running more cables to the flat panel TVs, I was certain that an AV receiver would simply send audio data over HDMI out to an video source at the same time as it played audio through speakers. Am I dead in the water?

Thanks!

b737officeview

Back to top Go down