Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Issue w/Onkyo TX-NR509 & connecting Onkyo subwoofer

3 posters

Go down

Issue w/Onkyo TX-NR509 & connecting Onkyo subwoofer Empty Issue w/Onkyo TX-NR509 & connecting Onkyo subwoofer

Post  cbluecheese Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:03 pm

I have an brand new Onkyo tx-nr509, and have a Onkyo subwoofer SK-10W & have it connected w/RCA plugs, currently plugged into the output, going into a "Y" connector & plugged into the subwoofer connection to the receiver. I am getting no sound, all other speakers work, and the on-screen menu for the receiver recognizes a subwoofer is present, but cannot figure out what is the correct connection pattern is or what I have wrong to get the sound. The Freq. crossover & Input sensitivity are set in the middle, small switch to select " inverted or normal" is seclected to normal.

Also, cannot figure out what is the correct port & setting to connect my Onkyo EQ-101.

Any help please....

Chris

cbluecheese

Back to top Go down

Issue w/Onkyo TX-NR509 & connecting Onkyo subwoofer Empty Re: Issue w/Onkyo TX-NR509 & connecting Onkyo subwoofer

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue May 01, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi cbluecheese,

Have you tested the "level cal" in the speaker setup menu to see if you get a low rumble from the subwoofer? Also do you know if the subwoofer is set to yes in the "speaker config"?
Also you will need to have a tape-2 monitor on the receiver in order to use the EQ; unfortunately these units as well as all our newer models do not have the tape-2 monitor on them.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Issue w/Onkyo TX-NR509 & connecting Onkyo subwoofer Empty Subwoofer no longer works with tx-nr509

Post  marcustremonti Thu May 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Hey cbluecheese,

I'm having the same problem as you, among other problems. It's not your subwoofer and nothing that you are doing wrong........it's this crappy receiver. If it's brand new take it back and go with a different brand or model because the nr509 is plagued and Onkyo seems to not care enough to actually issue fixes. I got mine and it worked great for about 3 weeks and then my USB port started working off and on with no rhyme or reason. My Blu-Ray player won't work with this unit( during a movie my video and audio will randomly shut off for 4 or 5 seconds at a time with no rhyme or reason), however, my regular DVD player works fine. And just last week my Subwoofer stopped working. The receiver shows that it is there and in setup it shows that it is on but no sound is delivered to it. Oh, and my subwoofer doesn't even show up unless "Double Bass" is selected in the speaker config; if "double bass" isn't selected then the Sub icon won't even show up even though Subwoofer is selected "Yes."

Don't waste your time with this crap, try a different model or brand because Onkyo will just ask you if you have reset your receiver, if your subwoofer is bad(which mine works with everything else but this unit, I tested it) or if your speaker cable is bad. When you answer "no" to all of these questions then they'll ask you to send it in on your wallet (they don't pay for shipping to have their faulty unit fixed).

I'm stuck with mine, unfortunately, because mine is just old enough that I can't return it so I have to deal with Onkyo directly.

marcustremonti

Back to top Go down

Issue w/Onkyo TX-NR509 & connecting Onkyo subwoofer Empty Re: Issue w/Onkyo TX-NR509 & connecting Onkyo subwoofer

Post  cbluecheese Fri May 04, 2012 6:41 pm

I have tested the "level cal", all other speakers rumble, no rumble for the subwoofer, and the subwoofer is selected to "yes" in the speaker config. I have the RCA plugs connected to the "input" of the subwoofer, have tried "output" and neither works. I spoke w/a rep from Onkyo, who indicated I have this connected correctly, and that it's the unit itself that needs repair? This is a brand new receiver, how can it need repair? I assume Onkyo will pay my shipping on this? I have been a loyal Onkyo customer since the early 1990's, have a TX-904 in my basement that I just had repaired by Lifetime service, a company that repair all kinds of consumer electronics locally here in Buffalo, and brought my old Onkyo receiver back to life. I hope that Onkyo will stand by it's product and get this receiver fixed correctly, and pay for my shipping, considering I just shelled out $ & bought this w/in the past 60 days.

cbluecheese

Back to top Go down

Post  marcustremonti Sun May 06, 2012 12:53 am

I have tested the "level cal", all other speakers rumble, no rumble for the subwoofer, and the subwoofer is selected to "yes" in the speaker config. I have the RCA plugs connected to the "input" of the subwoofer, have tried "output" and neither works. I spoke w/a rep from Onkyo, who indicated I have this connected correctly, and that it's the unit itself that needs repair? This is a brand new receiver, how can it need repair? I assume Onkyo will pay my shipping on this? I have been a loyal Onkyo customer since the early 1990's, have a TX-904 in my basement that I just had repaired by Lifetime service, a company that repair all kinds of consumer electronics locally here in Buffalo, and brought my old Onkyo receiver back to life. I hope that Onkyo will stand by it's product and get this receiver fixed correctly, and pay for my shipping, considering I just shelled out $ & bought this w/in the past 60 days.

I wish I could say that was true for me.......I've got to pay shipping on a receiver that weighs 22 lbs. It's gonna be in the $30-40 range for me. I'm with you, if a product is still under warranty then Onkyo should pay for the shipping but they don't.

marcustremonti

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon May 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Hi marcustremonti & cbluecheese,

Please take a look at this link, it is our policy for any warranty work:

http://www.onkyousa.com/warranty.cfm
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cbluecheese Sat May 26, 2012 4:03 pm

turns out the cables I had used to conncect the subwoofer were bad, got all new cables thru Buy.com, all new cables, works great now. However now while listening to the receiver while watching tv via TV/CD connection, it shuts itself off & on automatically, going right back to the same TV connection, so looks like I may be getting it serviced after all... Sad

cbluecheese

Back to top Go down

Post  marcustremonti Sat May 26, 2012 5:21 pm

It might not be your cables even though they are working now( I suppose it could've been though). The reason why I say that is because of the issue that I was having with my sub would work off and on. Here is a post I made on another topic with the Sub Preout as one of the issues:

Well here's a little update on the audio/video cutting out on my receiver. I sent my receiver in for warranty repair as I couldn't take it back because it was passed the return date. I forked over $40 to ship it my closest Warranty Service Provider which was ABL Electronic Service (ablserv.com) to fix my problems...........I didn't have much confidence when sending it in as Onkyo has given me a bad taste so I don't trust their warranty partnerships either. I was completely wrong (because they aren't affiliated with Onkyo). Here were the problems I was having with my 3 MONTH OLD receiver:

All HDMI inputs/outputs were causing my video and audio to randomly shut off for about 5 sec. at a time with no rhyme or reason.

Subwoofer Preout stopped working and sending audio to my subwoofer.

USB input would randomly stop working and my network adapter and all iPods wouldn't connect for days on end.

My receiver was gone for a total of 2 weeks (including shipping there and shipping back). When I got it back I immediately read the work order and it said that it had to fix multiple " cold and open solders" on the HDMI board, Sub Preout input and USB input connection. I plugged everything up and it works better than it did when I got it from Onkyo!

In conclusion, Onkyo needs to fix their poor Quality Control as well as their sloppy work on soldering. Onkyo also needs to pay for THEIR units to be shipped back as this is their fault. I hope Onkyo is reading this and taking notes if they want to be back in the AVR game. Honestly, if I would have been able to return my unit before the 60 days was up or whatever, I would have. I would've gone with a Denon or some other AVR. I just hope I don't have any other problems before my 1 year warranty is up!

Onkyo, you need to fix this and your reputation..........it's just pure laziness.

Contact ABL Electronic Service to find out what all they had to fix on your unit.

marcustremonti

Back to top Go down

Post  cbluecheese Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:15 am

Hey Marcustremonti,

Glad to hear your unit got repaired, even though you had to pay out & go thru down time to get it that way. So far I'm good to go, the only exception is when I try to power on the unit, it clicks like it's going to turn on, however nothing happens. I wait, click the power button again, and it turns on. This doesn't happen every time, but rather 2-3 times a week, and I do have it on almost daily. Rather frustrating considering I forked out good money for a new unit to have it act like this, but other than that issue, I couldn't be happier to have my new Onkyo unit. My repaired TX-904 is still alive & kicking doing it's duty as a good basement home theater receiver. Currently have a bid out on EBay to get my 11 yr. old his 1st real stereo, a TX-SV525, as i already have an existing remote from my own TX-SV525 that was unrepairable & had to goto the grave..... hope to obtain for a reasonable price, will run it thru a nice durable pair of Yamaha bookshelf speakers to get him on his way to becoming an Onkyo user for his lifetime, as I have become. I just hope any future new Onkyo items I purchase don't have any issues like the poor workmanship that you ran into, perhaps that is the reason for my powering up problems.
Good luck & Rock on \m/ \m/ cheers

cbluecheese

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down