Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR709:HDMI control switches to TV/CD on startup

3 posters

Go down

TX-NR709:HDMI control switches to TV/CD on startup Empty TX-NR709:HDMI control switches to TV/CD on startup

Post  Regrak Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 am

I have just installed a new NR709 connected to a TiVo, a Sony BlueRay and an AppleTV all through HDMI. OUtput via HDMI out main to a Samsung LED TV.

The main function I want from the HDMI control is to be able to power up the amp in the right mode when I turn the TV on or off. It works beautifully when I (for example) power on the BlueRay - the amp starts, the TV starts and the amp switches to the correct input. But when I power on the TV, I find that after the amp starts correctly and the input switches to CBL/Sat as I expect - however about 20 secs later, the input switches on its own to TV/CD so I lose sound (interesting, I keep the picture which I can't understand). I can't find any way to stop it doing this.

This functionality is important because otherwise you need to use multiple remotes (or lots of butons on one remote) to get the systems ready to watch TV. No good at all in a hosue with wife, kids and grandparents.

Am I missing something or does this make HDMI control totally useless? Even if I program the remote's 'activities' to switch to CBL/Sat (or use a Harmony remote) it still switches to TV/CD when the TV comes on.

Is there anyway that I can have HDMI control activated and not have to manually select CBL/Sat after the system switches itself to TV/CD?

Others seem to have got HDMI control to work, so i am clearly missing something here - any suggestions welcome! Options I think I might have:

- Connect the TiVo to a TV/CD assigned HDMI (7?)
- Use an optical interconnect to feed audio from the TiVo to TV/CD

All those out there that have got HDMI control to be useful, please tell me how you are using it!!!

Thanks.

Regrak

Back to top Go down

TX-NR709:HDMI control switches to TV/CD on startup Empty Re: TX-NR709:HDMI control switches to TV/CD on startup

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi Regrak,

Unfortunately this is the way the unit was designed. Whenever the HDMI control function is set to "on" the receiver automatically recognizes when the TV is being used as the source as changes accordingly.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR709:HDMI control switches to TV/CD on startup Empty Re: TX-NR709:HDMI control switches to TV/CD on startup

Post  seedubs Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:00 am

I have the same issue. When I turn on my TV, the cable is already on technically (Tivo is always on), so it automatically switches to TV/CD. I'd like it to switch automatically, but not in this particular case. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

seedubs

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi seedubs,

The only way to bypass this is to set the HDMI control to off as you've already discovered from another post. This is a design feature of the Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down