Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NR509 - Will it do this?

2 posters

Go down

NR509 - Will it do this? Empty NR509 - Will it do this?

Post  jmorrison0722 Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:12 pm

I have various input sources (wii (composite), xbox (component), apple tv (HDMI), tivo premiere (HDMI)) which I want to hook to a receiver and end up with a single HDMI cable which carries the video for all to the TV. Obviously the audio would be handled through the NR509 and connected speakers. Will this setup work?

I ask because I'm researching receivers and it sounds like some receivers have HDMI inputs that only handle video, not audio. Others have component or composite inputs, but won't convert the video so that it is sent through the single HDMI cable to the TV.

I don't really understand all the terminology such as pass-through, HDMI switching, etc.

1. If I hook my XBox 360 to it via component cables, will it send the video through the HDMI cable hooked to the TV?
2. If I hook my wii to it via composite cables, will it send the video through the HDMI cable hooked to the TV?
3. If I hook my Apple TV to it via HDMI, will it utilize that one cable for both audio and video, and send video through HDMI to the TV? Same question for Tivo Premiere.

If the NR509 won't work for this, is there a model that will work? I just don't want to have to keep switching inputs on both the TV and the receiver. Any feedback is welcome.

Last edited by jmorrison0722 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to include Tivo in my input list)

jmorrison0722

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Will it do this? Empty Re: NR509 - Will it do this?

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi jmorrison0722,

The TX-NR509 will not do what you want it to do, but the next model up, the TX-NR609 will do what they call "video up convert" and it will also do "up scaling" which means it will take let's say a picture with a resolution of 720p and it will up scale it to 1080i or 1080p. So I would suggest the TX-NR609 for your use.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jmorrison0722 Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks for your quick response.
Will it also utilize the audio from and HDMI input? For instance, the Apple TV (I believe) will send both audio and video through it's single HDMI output. So, would the Onkyo 609 utilize both the audio and video, or would I have to send audio to the Onkyo using a separate cable, such as digital audio? If so, what is the term for this so I can be on the lookout when reviewing the different models.

Jeff

jmorrison0722

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi jmorrison0722,

Yes, it will do both audio and video through the HDMI out. There really isn't one term to use, I would ask exactly what you asked me, "Does your HDMI carry both audio and video"...
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down