Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using Wireless adapter UWF-1 with TX-8050

3 posters

Go down

Using Wireless adapter UWF-1 with TX-8050 Empty Using Wireless adapter UWF-1 with TX-8050

Post  A10068816 Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:17 pm

New purchase to simply run audio in house from XM, CD, LP's, iPod, local FM stations and Pandora, Spotify, last FM etc. Using a TX8050 to run it. The unit is not close enough to my router to hard-wire with ethernet line so, I'm trying to hit my Linksys WRT54G2 router using Onkyo's UWF-1 wireless adapter.

Long story short- using the Onkyo manual is not getting me to where I want to get. I'm not completely techno illiterate (or so i thought) but I'm not getting it. Is there a source I can look at that will take me through the process that is better than the manuals? Tried searches that got me nothing.

Thanks
jj

A10068816

Back to top Go down

Using Wireless adapter UWF-1 with TX-8050 Empty Re: Using Wireless adapter UWF-1 with TX-8050

Post  LennyHO Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:49 pm

Don't bother with the UWF-1. It's a piece of junk. I have the same router as you and couldn't establish a stable wi-fi link with the UWF-1. I purchased a "TP-LINK TL-WN722N USB 2.0 High Gain Wireless Adapter" and it works like a charm. This adapter was recommended by other users of this forum and it lives up to their claims. I highly recommend it. I purchased mine at Newegg.com for $17.99. Also, be aware that if you use "Mac Address Filtering" in your router, once you plug in the adapter, whether the UWF-1 or the TL-WN722N, you will need to add the Mac Address of the adapter to your filter list. Not many people use "Mac Address Filtering" but just in case you do, be aware. If you don't use "Mac Address Filtering" you don't have to worry about it.

LennyHO

Back to top Go down

Using Wireless adapter UWF-1 with TX-8050 Empty Re: Using Wireless adapter UWF-1 with TX-8050

Post  A10068816 Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Yeah, the piece of junk assessment was my first reaction. Onkyo gave me the impression that their wireless unit was the only one that would work.

I have multiple wireless devices that work first time every time with very little tweaking. I have no idea what Mac Address Filtering is so I'm guessing I've never used it.

Thanks for the help.
jj

A10068816

Back to top Go down

Post  boidsonly Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:23 pm

I agree with the post above. After reading all the horror stories about the Onkyo UWF-1, I went with the TP-LINK TL-WN722N. Cheaper and all you have to do is open the box, plug it in to the receiver (I have the 818) and answer a few questions. My router is downstairs in the basement and my signal is 92% in the living room. I have no complaints what-so-ever.

boidsonly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down