Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HDCP Handshake issue with TX-NR5008

Go down

HDCP Handshake issue with TX-NR5008 Empty HDCP Handshake issue with TX-NR5008

Post  gmorin2 Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:12 pm

I have been using the TX-NR5008 receiver for over a year with an Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 1080 (ca. 2007 version of this projector) without any issues at all. However I recently upgraded the projector to an Epson Powerlite 5010 (also a 1080p projector) and I am now having reproducible problems which I can only assume are HDCP handshake issues between the Onkyo receiver and the Epson projector. The first issue is that when I put my Dish Network VIP 622 DVR receiver into program listing mode there is a brief flash of static on the screen and the image goes out on the projector and the receiver can be heard clicking on /off on/off over and over as it tries to sync with the projector. It is quite bizarre because there is no other part of the Dish Network receiver interface that does this (the menu, the DVR, and actual images all work fine, just not the program guide - hence I have no way to actually change channels). The other issue is with a brand new Apple TV (the little black box), if I switch to the "Movie" pane it just clicks off and does not even try to come back on.

Just to reiterate - NONE of these issues occurs with the old Epson 1080 and the Onkyo NR5008. It would appear this is an Epson not playing nice with the Onkyo problem - but maybe the Epson is now the "newer" of the pair and the Onkyo does not understand some "new" codes it is sending?

Troubleshooting steps I have taken: If I hook the device in question directly to the projector, then all works fine (although this is useless as I get no sound), but it does prove that the issue is between the projector and the receiver and NOT the projector and the device in question.

I have swapped cables.
I have turned the HDCP pass through or relay or whatever it is called on and off on both the receiver and the projector.
I have inserted an HDMI switch between the receiver and the projector (read that on line that it sometimes helps).
I have upgraded the firmware of the receiver to the latest version (today - July 28, 2012)
I have confirmed the Epson has the latest version of firmware available.
I did find that if the HDMI pass through thing is on on the receiver and I turn the receiver OFF after a few seconds video appears again through the projector (it goes out when the receiver is turned off)... but since the projector is still on and the video device is still on it is apparently "passively" sending the HDMI data through the receiver and it all works properly (so I can see my program guide) however this is not an adequate work around since this workaround is useless for the Apple TV issue since I get no sound when doing this.

None of the troubleshooting has made any difference. I have a call into Epson tech support (I have to call back on Monday, apparently their experts are not available on the weekend). However in the interim I thought I would ask my question here to see if this is a known issue? Are there any known work arounds or cures? Does Onkyo have an approved list of 1080p projectors that they will 100% guarantee will work with the receiver? Is this something Onkyo might reproduce in house and come out with a firmware update to fix? (just get an Apple TV, an Epson 5010 and an Onkyo TX-NR5008 and you will be able to reproduce this easily).

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi!

gmorin2

Back to top Go down