Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speaker problem with TX-NR509

2 posters

Go down

Speaker problem with TX-NR509 Empty Speaker problem with TX-NR509

Post  bgula Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:58 pm

I cannot get one of my rear speakers to emit any sound. I have the unit set for 2 rear speakers. As far as I know the speaker was working when I disconnected my old receiver. I tried switching the speaker leads, thinking that if I got sound out of that speaker and not the other, then it was a problem with the receiver, otherwise I'd know if it was a problem with the speaker. However, once I switched the leads, I got no sound out of both of my rear speakers (what?). I even tried hooking up the center lead to the back speaker, but again, nothing. The display on the front of the receiver seems to show all the speakers are active. My old receiver had a way of cycling thru the speakers to test output, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that with the 509. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try? I don't want to send the unit out to be checked if it's something simple to fix. I also don't know if it's the speaker that's the problem.

bgula

Back to top Go down

Speaker problem with TX-NR509 Empty Re: Speaker problem with TX-NR509

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi bgula,
You really tried to troubleshoot this situation. You have gone through most of the steps we would have gone through. The next step would be to perform a factory reset on the unit. Please view our blog post with all the information you need to know before performing the reset. This post will also tell you how to do it: http://onkyousacustomersupportblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/factory-reset/
Thank you for choosing Onkyo!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bgula Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:34 pm

I tried the factory reset and this did nothing - still no sound out of one rear speaker. Is there any way to test if the speaker is working or not without having to unhook this receiver and hook up my old one. Should not have switching the plugs on the speaker have worked? The only thing I can think of at this point is that both the speaker AND the receiver have a problem.

bgula

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:27 am

Hi bgula,
You should be able to test the sound of each speaker in the level calibration menu, if you do not get sound from the speaker please let us know.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bgula Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:15 pm

I did that yesterday - no sound. I just don't know if it's the receiver or the speaker. Switching the leads only further confused the situation as I stated in an earlier post I did not get sound out of either speaker. Unless you can suggest something else, I guess I will have to hook up my old receiver and see if I get sound out of that speaker.

bgula

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi bgula,
I think it will be helpful for you to call product support and have them walk you through it. What I can suggest you try before that would be to use new or different speaker wires to see if the issue is within the wires. The other thing I would suggest would be to switch the speaker that is not working with one that is. If you get sounds then you know it's the speaker, if you don't then you know it's the receiver, but I believe you already tried that. You can also reset the receiver, but I feel it would be best to speak with someone personally and have them walk you through some stuff before resetting the unit. If you would like to try the reset first please read our blog post on the subject: http://onkyousacustomersupportblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/factory-reset/
To contact product support please call: 1-800-229-1687. They are here until 8:00, thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bgula Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:40 pm

I already tried the factory reset and that didn't do anything. I will see if I can disconnect the speakers as they are wall mounted and switch them around. If I can do that, this should tell me whether it's the speaker or the receiver. I may not get to this until this evening, but I'll keep you posted!

bgula

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:46 pm

Hi bgula,
I meant switch the speaker wires in the terminals..not to physically rearrange the speakers. I don't want you to do more work than you have to. I can't see your original post as I type this so I will give you a quick example: Say the issue is with your front right speaker, put the front right speaker in the front left terminal and see if you get sound. Then put the front left speaker in the front right terminal and see if you get sound. That's how you can determine whether the issue is within the speaker or the receiver. I believe you said you already did something like this and since the reset did not work for you, I strongly feel having someone walk you through it on the phone may be useful. Thank you for choosing Onkyo and I hope you get this resolved quickly.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bgula Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Sorry, I did not know that you cannot see my original post. I will include it below for reference. Quickly though, I did do a switch of the terminals and surprisingly, instead of getting sound out of the other speaker, I got no sound at all from either speaker, which does not help me in determining if it is the receiver or the speaker. I like your idea of switching the speakers (if I can), as it will tell me if it is the speaker or the receiver as I know at least 1 wire is working. From there I can try and figure out if it is a speaker wire or something else.

Here is my original post:

I cannot get one of my rear speakers to emit any sound. I have the unit set for 2 rear speakers. As far as I know the speaker was working when I disconnected my old receiver. I tried switching the speaker leads, thinking that if I got sound out of that speaker and not the other, then it was a problem with the receiver, otherwise I'd know if it was a problem with the speaker. However, once I switched the leads, I got no sound out of both of my rear speakers (what?). I even tried hooking up the center lead to the back speaker, but again, nothing. The display on the front of the receiver seems to show all the speakers are active. My old receiver had a way of cycling thru the speakers to test output, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that with the 509. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try? I don't want to send the unit out to be checked if it's something simple to fix. I also don't know if it's the speaker that's the problem.

bgula

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Please keep us posted as you try that. Thank you and good luck.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bgula Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:04 pm

When I went to switch the rear speakers, I found that 1 of the wires was disconnected behind the speaker that didn't work. Problem solved! Thank you for your help.

bgula

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:09 am

You're Welcome! Thank you for choosing Onkyo Very Happy
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content