Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR818 HDMI "no signal"

4 posters

Go down

TX-NR818 HDMI "no signal" Empty TX-NR818 HDMI "no signal"

Post  sylvestermcmonkey Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:44 pm

I have only had this unit for a week, but once in a while the audio and video simply shuts off and the display says "no signal". I can do nothing to bring it back except turn the receiver off and on again. The Blu-Ray player continues to work, all I have to do is power cycle the 818 and everything comes back.

This happened three times. Once while watching a Blu-Ray disc, and twice while streaming Netflix. Every time it happens it was about ten minutes after turning it on. After power cycling it the problem does not re-occur for the rest of the evening.

I updated the firmware already. Anything else to do? Should I just return the unit?

sylvestermcmonkey

Back to top Go down

TX-NR818 HDMI "no signal" Empty Re: TX-NR818 HDMI "no signal"

Post  sylvestermcmonkey Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:40 am

The random HDMI "no signal" event happened a fifth time last night. Crying or Very sad
I updated the firmware already. Anything else to do? Should I just return the unit?
Any ideas... anyone?

sylvestermcmonkey

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:58 am

Hi sylvestermcmonkey,

Since this is happening frequently I would suggest exchanging it with the dealer if you are still within their exchange period.

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sylvestermcmonkey Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:01 pm

From your reply, I'll assume this problem is limited to one defective unit. I will exchange it for another 818.

Thanks for your response.

sylvestermcmonkey

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi sylvestermcmonkey,

That may well be the case in this instance.

Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sylvestermcmonkey Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:18 am

Installed the replacement 818 today, no problems yet.

I did not update its firmware.

sylvestermcmonkey

Back to top Go down

TX-NR818 HDMI "no signal" Empty Lucky you.....

Post  justin82 Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi can u plz tell me if ur new unit works after ur new firmware update. I am having the same issue but after turning both the receiver and device it still keeps losing signal. I just want to know if my unit is defective or if i have got conned into buying a POS.

justin82

Back to top Go down

Post  sylvestermcmonkey Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:59 pm

justin82 wrote:Hi can u plz tell me if ur new unit works after ur new firmware update.
Hi Justin

I have not updated the firmware yet. I am reluctant to do so since everything is working as I expect it to work. I changed nothing else - the source, cables, and all connected devices are all the same. Only the 818 was replaced.

If I were you I would return or exchange the unit, since that is what Onkyo recommended I do. The original unit never went two days without at least one connection failure ("no signal" on the display). The replacement has continued to work 100% flawlessly, every day, for about two weeks now.

sylvestermcmonkey

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Chemist Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:38 pm

sylvestermcmonkey wrote:I have only had this unit for a week, but once in a while the audio and video simply shuts off and the display says "no signal". I can do nothing to bring it back except turn the receiver off and on again. The Blu-Ray player continues to work, all I have to do is power cycle the 818 and everything comes back.

This happened three times. Once while watching a Blu-Ray disc, and twice while streaming Netflix. Every time it happens it was about ten minutes after turning it on. After power cycling it the problem does not re-occur for the rest of the evening.

My TX-NR818 just started doing this as well. At this point it appears to be isolated to the CBL/SAT HDMI input only.

I can restore the no signal situation by unplugging the HDMI cable to the cable box then plugging it back in.

If I pull the A/C power plug to the TX-NR818 this also works to restore the no signal situation, but it will reoccur again the next time the 818 decides to wig out.

Very Frustrating. The 818 made it just past 6 weeks with no issues then this. The first TX-NR818 I had produced continuous static through the subwoofer output right out of the box after purchase. I had the store exchange it for this unit. Now I am past the 30 day return period.

Just two days ago the 818 lost audio on internet radio. A power cycle cured that as well.

It appears that in electronic devices today the consumer is the beta tester.
The_Chemist
The_Chemist

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:29 pm

What is the current firmware version of the receiver? If you are still experiencing the same issue , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Chemist Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:52 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:What is the current firmware version of the receiver? If you are still experiencing the same issue , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator

Thanks for a reply!

I am currently running Firmware Version: 1100-7101-0100-0000

The problem is infrequent, but when it happens it will persist all day until I unplug the 818. It first starts out with just a short intermittent blink of the picture and sound for about 1 - 2 hours on the CBL/SAT input, then it goes to a "no signal" condition and finally the "Onkyo" ball screensaver is displayed on my monitor. If I switch sources to another input such as Blu-ray it works, but when I switch back to CBL/SAT the problem still persists. If I plug another device using another HDMI cable into the CBL/SAT input the problem persists, so I doubt if it is my cable box or HDMI cable.

I don't know if Onkyo product support can help me just yet as the condition is not frequent enough to be predictable. The 818 was fine for the first 6 weeks of use, then it started this nonsense. Today it didn't exhibit the problem at all.

Cutting and reapplying power to the 818 by pulling the plug out of the surge protector strip always fixes it.

I try and keep the unit as cool as possible to prolong its life. I have two 80mm USB fans plugged into the USB power port on the back of the 818. I have them set to blow cool air over the top vents of the 818 whenever it is powered on. The top cover of the 818 is always very cool to the touch. The internal fans never run.
The_Chemist
The_Chemist

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Thank you again for those who have recently provided the information requested regarding the setup of your TX-NR 818 receiver. Please provide the following information to the following email address and address to the attention of the " FORUM MODERATOR: TX-NR x1x FORUM ISSUE" :

- FULL NAME:
- FORUM USER NAME/ HANDLE:
- MAILING ADDRESS:
- CITY/ STATE/ PROVINCE:
- EMAIL ADDRESS:
- CONTACT NUMBER(s):
- ONKYO MODEL NUMBER:
- CURRENT F/W version:
- SHORT DESSCRIPTION:

We would like to resolve your issue but need your prompt assistance with this matter. Thank you again for your time, patience, and cooperation in assisting our research.

Best Regards;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down