Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on" topic

+13
pickepock
Milinko12
mjhawk
onestop
justincase102
Guindalf
Bandit
johnm
mike_durie
wodysweb
Tary
ben1977
OnkyoUSA
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic Empty TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on" topic

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu May 10, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi forum users,

The following questions will greatly assist us in evaluating the possible causes for this reported issue. Please answer all that apply.

Onkyo Receiver model Details:

- Model #
- Serial #
-Firmware version #
-Do you have the HDMI control (RIHD) on or off?
-Do you have Network standby on or off
-Do you have the auto standby on or off?
-Internet connectivity is it wired or wireless?

Your setup information:

-The complete setup/devices used make model #’s, cables used?
-Firmware version # of all devices if possible?

Conditions under which your issue occurs:

-Where is the TV located in relation to the receiver?
-How often does this happen?
-Does this happen in cold conditions (first time turn on) 2 or more hours after initial setup or
Overnight?
-Does this occur after using receiver for an extended period?
-If none of the above then what are the conditions this is happening under?
-Do you notice this happening with the lights on or off and what type of bulbs do you have such
As florescent or Incandescent bulbs?
-Does the receiver power on using the “Source” button on the top right side of the
Remote?
- If you have the Onkyo2 remote App can you turn the receiver on with it?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic Empty Quick answer

Post  ben1977 Fri May 11, 2012 3:05 am

Hi,

I'm a European consumer experiencing the same problem as the American ... I sent a mail to the customer help and apparently I'm the first one in Europe Rolling Eyes (maybe because the product is very recent).
They adviced me to make a factory reset : indeed after the remote control seems to power on , even after a certain time being shut down.

However, I noticed the following thing which seems to be a great clue.
Each time I try to use my Logitech Harmony 650 to switch on amplificator / TV / media player, the amplificator does not wake on, and after can't be switched on through the Onkyo remote.

If I don't use a macro but the commands associated to the Onkyo device on the harmony, it works, but after the use of a macro, as the onkyo remote, it does not not switch the amp on any more

=> so I guess the problem is linked to the harmony remote which puts the amplificator in a stuck state.

Contribution of the other persons experiencing the problem would be great.

Nota : I managed to switch my amp on this morning after several hours being shut down, but I didn't use the harmony at all

ben1977

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic Empty Re: TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on" topic

Post  ben1977 Fri May 11, 2012 4:05 am

The problem seems to have been solved after the following settings :
- I run the configuration software of the Logitech remote control
- I went into "devices", choosed "Amplificator AV-1", "I want to switch it off if not used", choosed to "change the ON/OFF settings"
- I choosed the option "only one button to put it on /off " , then that "I don't own the original setting but going to choose in the pre-learnt codes" , and choosed the "power toggle (ON/OFF"

(think you can also choose the "two distincts buttons" and use "ON" and "OFF")

Then it worked !!!

Seems that the pre-learnt configuration used by Logitech is not good ... But doing this trick it works !
The amplificator isn't stuck any more until now ...

ben1977

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic Empty Re: TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on" topic

Post  ben1977 Fri May 11, 2012 4:11 am

Precision : only choose the mode "one button" and not "two distinct ON & OFF buttons" => it seems to be the root cause of the amplificator to be stuck down when using the Logitech

ben1977

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri May 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi forum users,

Thank you for this valuable information.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ben1977 Fri May 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Well ... Coming back at home this evening, my solution doesn't seem to work so fine with the Logitech ...
However the source of the problem really seems to come from the universal remote : if I use only the onkyo remote, it seems to work until now.

Would be glad to know if it is the same for the other users ...

ben1977

Back to top Go down

Post  ben1977 Fri May 11, 2012 3:57 pm

I notice that the macros not involving the tv didn't lead to the Onkyo being stuck.
So I tried to switch the HDMI cable off from the tv : as a consequence, the macro switched on the tv and the amplificator as a charm ...
I tried several times, and without the HDMI cable from the ampli to the TV, it did well...

So I guess that something in the beginning of the macro , when it switches on the tv and the ampli in a very close way, leads to a communication
through the HDMI cable between the ampli and the Onkyo which stuck the ampli.

My television is a Panasonic 50GT30, and it is connected on the HDMI2 (ARC) input to the Main HDMI output of the Onkyo. But the ARC aspect doesn't have any impact.
My settings on the Onkyo are the basic one : the ARC is switched off , and I tried to switch on the other HDMI input of my TV (not ARC), and it also leads to the Onkyo being stuck.

ben1977

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri May 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Hi ben1977,

We appreciate your feed back on this matter it will help our engineers.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ben1977 Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 pm

You're welcome, I hope to solve this problem as soon as possible !

The universal remote has been a revelator, but in fact I've noticed that if I do it "manually" with the original remotes, if I try to switch on the Onkyo after I just switched on the TV, the Onkyo doesn't wake up and is stuck. So the problem seems to be confirmed.
By setting the universal remote to switch on the Onkyo BEFORE the TV, it seems to work.

ben1977

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon May 14, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi ben1977,

They are still evaluating this and we hope to have a solution soon. Again thank you for the assistance.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ben1977 Tue May 15, 2012 4:21 am

I'm glad to see that you're investigating the subject. Hope to hear again from you soon ;-)

ben1977

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue May 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi ben1977,

As soon as we have a solution I will post it.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic Empty Second 616 won't turn on with remote control either

Post  Tary Thu May 17, 2012 10:53 pm

I had posted on the other thread that I could not turn on my 616 with the Onkyo remote control if the receiver had been off for a while:

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t703p15-tx-nr515-won-t-power-on-from-remote-control-or-from-iphone-remote-app

Since this seems to be the official thread for this problem so I will post my new experiences here.

I ended taking that receiver back and getting another new 616. Sadly my experience is about the same. If the receiver has been off for a while it can't be turned back on with the Onkyo remote control. My situation is simpler than most people posting here in that I am only using the Onkyo remote control to try and turn on the receiver. If I turn on the receiver with the front panel then the remote control is fully functional, I can even turn the receiver off and then back on with it. But if I let it sit for a a while then the remote can no longer turn it on.
One thing that I have noticed is that if the TV that it is connected to has been turned off, I have seen a couple times where I could turn on the receiver. But if the TV set is on I have never been able to turn the receiver on after it has sat for a while.

I have had three other Onkyo receivers that have given me many years of service without a single problem. The fact that such a basic function as turning on the new receiver with the remote doesn't work properly is pretty scary. If you can't nail the easy stuff what about the more complex operations?

Tary

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri May 18, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi forums users,

Good news, here is the link to our newest firmware update. Please let us know if this update addresses your issues. Thank you choosing Onkyo.

http://www.onkyousa.com/download/software.cfm
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic Empty Unable to turn on 616 with remote control after receiver has been off for a while

Post  Tary Sat May 19, 2012 12:57 pm

I performed the new update last night on my 616 receiver.
I let the receiver sit overnight and then I tried to turn it on with the remote control. I could not turn it on. This update did NOT fix the problem.

Tary

Back to top Go down

Post  ben1977 Sat May 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi,

I can confirm that unfortunately it didn't fix the problem.

For others like me, have you tried to first switch the Onkyo before anything else (TV, Home media player and whatever) ???

ben1977

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon May 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Hi ben1977,

I apologize for the inconvenience; I will let our engineers know.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ben1977 Mon May 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Thank you OnkyoUSA for continuing investigating the problem.

For other people like me having the problem, could you please tell if the solution to switch the amplificator first with the remote is efficient ?
Could you also indicate which TV brand / model you use ? Because clearly on my side, it's the operation to switch the TV first, which is connected
on the HDMI Main Out to the amplificator, which leads to the problem. My TV is a Panasonic 50GT30
It may help on Onkyo's side having these informations.

ben1977

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed May 23, 2012 10:55 am

Hi forum users,

Other than ben1977 has anybody else had anymore issues with their remote controls after the latest firmware update?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic Empty tx-nr515-616-remote-control-not-turning-your-receiver-on-topic

Post  Tary Wed May 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Scroll back a page and you will see that I am having the same problem AFTER the update. The update did not fix anything related to this problem.

Tary

Back to top Go down

Post  wodysweb Thu May 24, 2012 2:14 am

Same problem for me, thought I was going crazy for a while until I figured out it was the Harmony that was causing the problem, especially when I was using the iPhone app and normal remote off and on. Please fix this problem!

wodysweb

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu May 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi Tary,

I will forward this to the appropriate department. Thank you for the information.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic Empty TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"

Post  mike_durie Mon May 28, 2012 5:22 pm

HI I have an European model NR515 and a Harmony 1100.

Strange thing, if I turn off using the Harmony and then turn back on it works fine, leave it off for a period of time and I can't turn it back on without using the button on the amp, not even with the Onkyo supplied remote....

Mike

mike_durie

Back to top Go down

Post  mike_durie Tue May 29, 2012 5:13 pm

mike_durie wrote:HI I have an European model NR515 and a Harmony 1100.

Strange thing, if I turn off using the Harmony and then turn back on it works fine, leave it off for a period of time and I can't turn it back on without using the button on the amp, not even with the Onkyo supplied remote....

Mike

Bit of an update, prior to posting I had played with the on/off for the amp on the 515, selected toggle on/off rather than the discreet on and off and learned the power button code from the supplied Onkyo remote, none of this had worked... after reading this thread I changed my macro (activity) to power on the amp first before powering on my Panasonic Plasma TV, This has now reproducibly worked. My issue now appears to be resolved.

Thanks

mike_durie

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic Empty TX-NR515 USA current firmware version is?

Post  johnm Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 am

Can someone please post what the current firmware version is for the TX-NR515?

I just found this thread after posting my own thread earlier today on a related topic. I see Onkyo reps have posted to this thread mentioning an updated firmware release but when I follow the links they are broken. I also called support on the phone and was told there is no firmware update for the TX-NR515. No

johnm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next