Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-RC360 / TX-NR609 DD2.0 decoding issue - audio cutting in and out

+10
Kevin rc180
Yar
dsteele1
Frostfire
cyradix
InstigatorX
mikehartigan
brydy23
OnkyoUSA
tbobtx
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

TX-RC360 / TX-NR609 DD2.0 decoding issue - audio cutting in and out - Page 3 Empty Re: TX-RC360 / TX-NR609 DD2.0 decoding issue - audio cutting in and out

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi cyradix,

I'm only conveying what our engineering department has found out from AT&T and Motorola.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-RC360 / TX-NR609 DD2.0 decoding issue - audio cutting in and out - Page 3 Empty Re: TX-RC360 / TX-NR609 DD2.0 decoding issue - audio cutting in and out

Post  mikehartigan Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:19 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi forum users,

I apologize for the delay but this is from our engineering department who spoke with an engineer at Motorola/AT&T who stated they do have an issue with their software. Our engineering department has requested that if you have these issues to contact your respective ISP for further assistance.

Thank you.
Does your engineering department have any suggestions for those of who aren't using a Motorola STB? Did they get the same response from Cisco?

Maybe your engineering department should give Denon, Samsung, Sony, or any of your competitors a call and find out how they do it.

mikehartigan

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostfire Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Come on, this is just redicolous!
I have never even heard of the motorola box and I live in Sweden so I dont even have at&t here.
Is there anyone at engineering that actually got the balls to come forward and accept that this is an onkyo problem and try to find a solution to this problem instead of just hiding and blaming someone else?

If there is nothing more you can do here other than sending engineering a ticket that obviously gets no response at all, is there anyone we can call to get an answer or a written statement so that we can get a refund?
I am about to move to another country and if there is no solution to this problem, I want my money back before i move.

Hell, I spent over $1000 on this piece of garbage.
I have been an onkyo owner for about 10years and I am sad to say that this is the worst support I have ever seen and I will never buy nor recommend an onkyo product ever again.

Frostfire

Back to top Go down

TX-RC360 / TX-NR609 DD2.0 decoding issue - audio cutting in and out - Page 3 Empty 2.0 works on TX-SR603X, not TX-NR809

Post  DualOnkyos Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Onkyo CS,

I have two Onkyo receivers and ATT U-verse. I'm trying to watch an Evanescense concert on Palladia. The source is the same for both receivers; Dolby 2.0. The TX-SR603X decodes the sound flawlessly via the toslink connection. On the TX-NR809 the sound cuts in and out. This is on both HDMI and toslink connections. This is without a doubt a decoding issue of Dolby 2.0 48 kHz on later Onkyo receivers. I only hope that Firmware can fix it.

My firmware is current (7/5/12)

Switched ATT U-verse output from Dolby 2.0 48 kHz to PCM 2.0 48 kHz (surround to stereo) sound is good.

DualOnkyos

Back to top Go down

TX-RC360 / TX-NR609 DD2.0 decoding issue - audio cutting in and out - Page 3 Empty SAME SAME SAME

Post  OldMillXxX Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:16 pm

I have the same issue. Since purchasing the HT-RC260 over a year ago, I have had the sound drop each time I switch channels. This is coming from an Amino box via HDMI. It cuts in/out for about 15 seconds after switching channels, then works itself out for a couples seconds and then maybe once or twice after that. Then, usually fine (until switching channels again). I contacted my local provider and they came to troubleshoot with no luck. I have just dealt with it and reading this, maybe I shouldn't have.

I have now developed a buzz that happens during graphics or during certain audio streams. Switching through audio options like Direct will sometimes fix the buzz, but then I miss out on the DD experience.

I should note, I have my receiver on at all times when my TV is on, regardless of media used. This DOES NOT happen using any other media (Blu-Ray, DLNA streaming, etc...). I only get the dropout when I watch TV.

I really don't want to purchase another.

OldMillXxX

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehartigan Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 am

Since your engineering department has concluded that this problem is caused by a bug in Motorola's software, can we assume that they are no longer working toward a solution for the rest of us? Is Onkyo satisfied to simply leave this issue unresolved? It should be noted that warranty claims that find no problems are costing Onkyo real money. Not to mention the loss of goodwill and Onkyo's reputation. Word is getting around that, not only do your products not work as advertised, but that customer service is unwilling to even acknowledge that there's a problem, let alone pursue a solution. Quite simply, your products are unable to do what it says they will do on the box. Your dealers are, knowingly or not, selling these products in clear violation of numerous consumer protection laws in the US and likely elsewhere. I believe the time has come to escalate this problem to a higher authority.

mikehartigan

Back to top Go down

Post  OldMillXxX Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:46 am

I spoke with one of Onkyo's certified repair stores (through e-mail) and communicated my issue. I was returned a message immediately telling me how to return it and where it should go. I was also told it was most likely the HDMI board. Sounds as though they have swapped quite a few as she told me they were three weeks behind. I would say red flag.

I utilize CNET a lot for reviews and this forum was mentioned more than once in their reviews of Onkyo A/V Receivers. They caution against just their review noting that there have been and increasing number of complaints coming from the forums and people should take that into consideration.

I wish I would have read this forum more before my purchase. I don't mind running into a warranty issue as long as the company realizes the issue and deals with it firsthand. Sometimes bad is just bad, but do something about it. How many more are out there that don't post in these forums? Since it seems to be wider spread than just one or two models, why doesn't Onkyo put out a statement saying a problem was found and advise people about the issue? Cut the losses there and maintain their name. Customer service goes a long way in my world.

OldMillXxX

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehartigan Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:08 pm

OldMillXxX wrote:[...] I was also told it was most likely the HDMI board. Sounds as though they have swapped quite a few as she told me they were three weeks behind. I would say red flag.
I would agree, but for the fact that I have the same problem using the optical connection. Unless I could be assured that these two paths use the same faulty HDMI component, I'm disinclined to spend any more of my time chasing yet another red herring.

mikehartigan

Back to top Go down

Post  OldMillXxX Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Very good point Mike. I will say that early on, I was using an optical connection for my audio and did have the issue, but to a much lessened state. Eliminating a cable (my goal) only made that issue worse.

Very sad.

OldMillXxX

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:33 pm

If you are still experiencing the same issue(s), Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible. We will need to document your issue and advise you on the servicing options to resolve this issue.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehartigan Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm

I'll do that. FWIW, I'm also pursuing a remedy through the selling dealer - Fry's Electronics, in my case. I've advised them of my intention to file a complaint with the BBB and/or the Illinois State Attorney General's Office. By selling this product without disclosing this defect, they are violating the Implied Warranty of Merchantability. Unfortunately for Fry's, it's easier to file such a complaint against the seller than the manufacturer. It's my hope that they'll simply exchange the Onkyo for a similarly-featured unit from another manufacturer.

I'm curious, though, since you offered no solution other than an explanation for those who are using a Motorola box (doesn't apply to me), why do you sound surprised that I'm still having a problem?

mikehartigan

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostfire Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:25 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:If you are still experiencing the same issue(s), Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible. We will need to document your issue and advise you on the servicing options to resolve this issue.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator

And for me that live in Sweden, where should I turn?

Frostfire

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehartigan Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:39 pm

I got a very curious reply from Fry's Electronics on this issue the other day. The A/V Department Manager contacted Onkyo before replying to my email query on the DD2.0 issue. He was advised by Onkyo that the TX-NR609 does not support DD2.0 - never did, never will. I think Onkyo's Marketing Department would be surprised to hear this (they list Dolby Digital Plus among its features - which includes support for Dolby Digital). Indeed, Dolby Labs would probably also like to hear about this, since they list this receiver on their website as supporting this format: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/product/home-theater/avr/onkyo-tx-nr609.html
He went on to explain to me that DD2.0 is old technology and that I should contact AT&T and ask them to upgrade their audio to something more up to date (???). He also generously offered me a store credit of about $100 less than what I paid for this system eight months ago if I return it (they no longer carry this model).

mikehartigan

Back to top Go down

Post  tbobtx Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:41 pm

I asked for resolution long time ago and did not get any response. I have now come back to this site and see many more posts of issues and now Onkyo engineers finally give us the truth that a spec'd feature that had dire consequences to many user was removed and not disclosed anywhere. Not on website, not in the manual, not on product brochure and not to sales people in the stores.

For the record, In the product manual, it clearly says 2 channel Digital PCM is supported.
I have been fighting this for more than 1 year and getting the run around, pointing fingers at everyone else but Onkyo is the main cause of the issue. Engineers just deciding to wipe capability due to lack of mamory in the DSP chip is unforgivable unless it is a dead decoder. I would have rather them remove all the fake surround sound scene rubbish that I would say almost no one uses to keep DD 2.0 in there.
Fry's would not do anything for me and told me to discuss with Onkyo. onkyo tells me to document this in this forum because this is only place it will be heard.
Well, I started this Thread in April 2012 and as of today, I am still out $$$ and a huge irritation each time I watch TV or listen to a digital CD/DVD recorded in DD2.0 /2.1.

I will attempt to call Onkyo support tomorrow and I hope they can do the honorable task of solving this irritation immediately.

tbobtx

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:58 pm

This receiver is capable of decoding and broadcasting Dolby Digital 2.0 audio from the receiver- as an example would be the Audio Return Channel feature (Dolby Digital 2.0 from the TV) onto the receiver and plays with no issue. The same would be an example of using a CD player via digital optical into the receiver- as the receiver is able to process and broadcast as well. We have instructed those afllicted with this issue and Uverse set top box to contact AT & T regarding this issue and also check the AT & T forum. If you have this information to validate your suggestion; please provide to the following email address so it can presented to upper managment and our on-site engineer for further clarification. As we have asked and they have NO data to support your claim. We await your documentation.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dcndnts Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:21 pm

So i just got and set up my brand new Onkyo TX-NR717 turn on my uverse and 80% of my HD channels suffer from this problem. It makes watching TV practically useless with this receiver.
My Yamaha and Denon receivers play perfectly fine with my uverse cisco box.
Very sad indeed as this receiver otherwise was everything i wanted. Whats even worse is it looks like Onkyo is passing the blame on this and refuses to man up to the problem or resolve it

dcndnts

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:33 pm

In regards to your issue-we will need some information that is available on your settop box under SYSTEM INFORMATION. Please reply back with the following information from your STB so our engineers can further research and evaluate this issue:

1. Go into the SETTINGS menu of the set top box and search for/ select "GENERAL INFORMATION" or " SYSTEM INFORMATION" and press ENTER.
2. Search for and provide the following information in reply to this email:
- CLIENT VERSION:
- BUILD NUMBER:
- S/W VERSION:
- FIRMWARE VERSION:

Please send this information to the following email address (onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com) to the attention of FORUM MODERATOR. This information will be reviewed by the Engineering department for further evaluation.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cyradix Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:15 am

I keep an eye on this post from time to time to see if a solution has been found.
It's sad to see Onkyo still tries to blame some STB while people (like myself) have stated several times they aren't even with AT&T and don't even have a STB.
The problem for me is the same audio drops when playing DD2.0 from any device. I tried it on my HTPC, a PS3 and a Dune HD Max.
When I replace my NR609 with my old Denon the DD2.0 plays fine on all 3 devices...
Clearly the problem lies with the Onkyo receiver wouldn't you say? (which has the latest firmware, factory reset done, cables replaced, all usual troubleshooting steps done)

cyradix

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:36 pm

As we have currently tested a couple of CBL STBs and have NO issues with DOLBY DIGITAL 2.0; and I have personal account of this setup that I use at home with my TX-NR 609 (same build as the HT-RC 360- we are only noticing issues with Uverse and specific Comcast STBs. In regards to this issue-we will need some information that is available on your settop box under SYSTEM INFORMATION. Please reply back with the following information from your STB so our engineers can further research and evaluate this issue:

1. Go into the SETTINGS menu of the set top box and search for/ select "GENERAL INFORMATION" or " SYSTEM INFORMATION" and press ENTER.
2. Search for and provide the following information in reply to this email:
- CLIENT VERSION
- BUILD NUMBER
-S/W VERSION:
- FIRMWARE VERSION:

Upon gathering of data and further evaluation; we can work on a possible resolution to this issue.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehartigan Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:20 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:This receiver is capable of decoding and broadcasting Dolby Digital 2.0 audio from the receiver
The A/V Department manager at Fry's in Downers Grove, IL told me that he had spoken with someone at Onkyo in advance of responding to my complaint and was told that DD2.0 is an old technology that is not supported by the 609. He couldn't verify this personally because he no longer carries this model. It would appear that either Onkyo or its dealers are simply trying to lie their way out of this problem. (FWIW, it sounded like the gentleman with whom I spoke understood '2.0' to be a version number, not a channel configuration. He said the 609 only supports DD5.1)
OnkyoUSA wrote:as an example would be the Audio Return Channel feature (Dolby Digital 2.0 from the TV) onto the receiver and plays with no issue.
The STB directly to the TV, then to the 609 via ARC exhibits the same dropouts. Though, since this signal originated at the STB, this doesn't really prove anything.
OnkyoUSA wrote:The same would be an example of using a CD player via digital optical into the receiver- as the receiver is able to process and broadcast as well.
DD2.0 originating from the TV - NetFlix, Vudu, etc., plays fine, as does DD2.0 from my Sony BD player. DD2.0 from the STB to my TV also plays fine through the TV speakers, but not when extended to the Onkyo (the TV speakers fill in the gaps, but this is not acceptable). So it's plausible that this is simply an issue of U-Verse and Onkyo not playing well together. Further evidence of this is that U-Verse to my old Denon receiver also does not exhibit these dropouts. The problem specifically occurs with the U-Verse/Onkyo combination (admittedly, given the limited component selection in my home, this is, perhaps, an overly broad statement).
OnkyoUSA wrote:We have instructed those afllicted with this issue and Uverse set top box to contact AT & T regarding this issue and also check the AT & T forum. If you have this information to validate your suggestion; please provide to the following email address so it can presented to upper managment and our on-site engineer for further clarification. As we have asked and they have NO data to support your claim. We await your documentation.
AT&T's response was that, since their DD2.0 works with non-Onkyo components, it's not their problem, which is, essentially, Onkyo's position.

I quit playing this game months ago. I 'solved' my problem by swapping receivers. My old, less feature-laden Denon receiver is now handling the surround audio in my theater room (including dropout-free DD2.0 from U-Verse), while the Onkyo is serving the less demanding Family room where 2 channel PCM is just fine. I plan to upgrade my home theater system soon (years ahead of schedule) to a non-Onkyo receiver that includes the features that attracted me to the Onkyo 609. The 609 will likely end up on ebay.

mikehartigan

Back to top Go down

Post  dbiersmith Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:46 pm

mikehartigan wrote:I'll do that. FWIW, I'm also pursuing a remedy through the selling dealer - Fry's Electronics, in my case. I've advised them of my intention to file a complaint with the BBB and/or the Illinois State Attorney General's Office. By selling this product without disclosing this defect, they are violating the Implied Warranty of Merchantability. Unfortunately for Fry's, it's easier to file such a complaint against the seller than the manufacturer. It's my hope that they'll simply exchange the Onkyo for a similarly-featured unit from another manufacturer.

I'm curious, though, since you offered no solution other than an explanation for those who are using a Motorola box (doesn't apply to me), why do you sound surprised that I'm still having a problem?

I was feeling like you until I googled this: http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Surround-Sound-Drop-Out-Onkyo-Receiver/m-p/2775885#M18819. Looking thru AT&T's forum.. this is not prevalent only to my Onkyo- and I , for sh*ts and giggles, tried with my Time Warner box and I can cleanly see DOLBY DIGITAL 2.0 going thru the receiver to DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 and watched the Lions v. Packers game last night with NO issues.. AWWWWWWW (sound from the heavens).. lol!

So think about one manufacturer pointing the finger at another- you have some low paying rep who prob isnt happy to be there tell you whatever to get you off the phone.. some things you need to research if you motivated to changing the status quo.. food for thought..

dbiersmith

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehartigan Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:33 pm

dbiersmith wrote:
mikehartigan wrote:I'll do that. FWIW, I'm also pursuing a remedy through the selling dealer - Fry's Electronics, in my case. I've advised them of my intention to file a complaint with the BBB and/or the Illinois State Attorney General's Office. By selling this product without disclosing this defect, they are violating the Implied Warranty of Merchantability. Unfortunately for Fry's, it's easier to file such a complaint against the seller than the manufacturer. It's my hope that they'll simply exchange the Onkyo for a similarly-featured unit from another manufacturer.

I was feeling like you until I googled this: http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Surround-Sound-Drop-Out-Onkyo-Receiver/m-p/2775885#M18819. Looking thru AT&T's forum.. this is not prevalent only to my Onkyo- and I , for sh*ts and giggles, tried with my Time Warner box and I can cleanly see DOLBY DIGITAL 2.0 going thru the receiver to DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 and watched the Lions v. Packers game last night with NO issues.. AWWWWWWW (sound from the heavens).. lol!

So think about one manufacturer pointing the finger at another- you have some low paying rep who prob isnt happy to be there tell you whatever to get you off the phone.. some things you need to research if you motivated to changing the status quo.. food for thought..
I paid a good deal of money for what I thought was an Onkyo surround sound system. Enough that I have a right to expect that it will work, as advertised, right out of the box (actually, it doesn't matter how much/little you paid - the law requires that it does what it says it will do). You apparently believe that the buyer should go the extra mile to make it work. FWIW, I did that for months with no resolution. Simply, Onkyo and/or AT&T didn't give me what I paid for. I stopped beating my head against the wall and 'fixed' the problem by not using the product for its intended purpose. The end result is that I will end up spending still more money on a non-Onkyo product and that I will resist the temptation to buy another Onkyo product in the future (a shame, really, since they have a long-established positive reputation in the industry). Any company is doomed to thrive or fail on its own merits. Onkyo's response to this problem will not improve their chances for survival, long term, IMO.

mikehartigan

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:32 pm

We have proactively asked customers afflicted with this issue to provide the previously requested informationfor further evaluation with our Engineering department. We simply ask those who would like to reach a solution to assist us with this information. We understand the inconvenience you are experiencing and would like to further research and develop a resolution; instead of neglect and non-assistance.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mikehartigan Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:We have proactively asked customers afflicted with this issue to provide the previously requested informationfor further evaluation with our Engineering department. We simply ask those who would like to reach a solution to assist us with this information. We understand the inconvenience you are experiencing and would like to further research and develop a resolution; instead of neglect and non-assistance.
Been there, done that. Your engineering department already told us they're not interested:
OnkyoUSA wrote:I apologize for the delay but this is from our engineering department who spoke with an engineer at Motorola/AT&T who stated they do have an issue with their software. Our engineering department has requested that if you have these issues to contact your respective ISP for further assistance.
I originally raised this issue on Jan 23, 2012 - nearly a year ago. I ran out of energy six months ago. You win.

mikehartigan

Back to top Go down

Post  dbiersmith Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Well it seems now someone lit a fire under Onkyo because they now want data. It's a step.. lets see what they do with this data.

dbiersmith

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next