Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tx ds797 no surround

2 posters

Go down

Tx ds797 no surround Empty Tx ds797 no surround

Post  onesillyhatch Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:49 pm

As you can tell from the title I have a 797 that worked flawless for years until recently. I had I slight touching of my speaker wires due to the terrible crappy plastic posts in the back of my receiver. It sparked but seemed fine. Recently only analog sources work in direct mode. If I try to put it in surround mode I get no sound not even in stereo mode. I can't get any sound from optical inputs at all. The sound seems to register on the receiver where it says it is receiving a PCM signal but no output. It was suggested to me the dsp board is fried. This is the second onkyo that just went bad on me. I'm about to give up on onkyo. If anyone can offer help I'd appreciate it. Thanks

onesillyhatch

Back to top Go down

Tx ds797 no surround Empty Re: Tx ds797 no surround

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi nesillyhatch,

Have you tried a reset of the unit? To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VIDEO1/VCR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings. If this does not resolve the issue then the unit will need to be evaluated at a service center. Authorized service centers can be found on our website under support.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tx ds797 no surround Empty Cleared

Post  onesillyhatch Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:17 pm

I forgot to mention that I had cleared it already. I'm trying to figure out if it worth it to bring it to a service center. There are none close to me and for bench fees and shipping I'll spend $75 only to find out that I have to replace the dsp board, which costs $900. I'm starting to look into yamahas. This is the second onkyo that died on me. I think a thousand dollar receiver should last 20 years no problem. I still have receivers from the 80s that work fine. I'd use them except I want more than 2 channels.

onesillyhatch

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Hi onesillyhatch,

You can do a trade in for a TX-NR709 for only $430. If you agree we would need the following:
name, address, serial number
date of purchase and receipt if you have it.
If agreed we will send you a trade in agreement form to sign
once we get that back then an RP gets processed. The RP number
will need to put on the box of the returned receiver.
Once the receiver arrives we will contact you to process the order.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down