Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR609 HDMI video out problem

+3
Andrs7T
OnkyoUSA
nguyen3
7 posters

Go down

TX-NR609 HDMI video out problem Empty TX-NR609 HDMI video out problem

Post  nguyen3 Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:31 am

I am having issues with HDMI video out from multiple sources connected to the HDMI inputs on my receiver.

I have Resolution set to "Auto"
My TV supports 1080p
Roku box connected via HDMI displays pixelated/digitized video
Blue-Ray DVD player connected via HDMI displays choppy/flickering video

I have updated the receiver's firmware, but there were no improvements
When I connect either device directly to my TV, bypassing the receiver, using the same HDMI cable connected to the TV, both source devices work perfectly with no video issues

Do you have any suggestions for correcting this issue?

nguyen3

Back to top Go down

TX-NR609 HDMI video out problem Empty Re: TX-NR609 HDMI video out problem

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:57 am

Hi nguyen3,
Have you tried replacing the HDMI cables to rule out that the issue is with the cables?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR609 HDMI video out problem Empty hdmi bd

Post  Andrs7T Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:36 pm

see my post on audio the board failed like on my reciver had to take it to repair shop last about a week and the problem is reappering first the audio doesn't play thru unless teh reciver is on then the vidio goes. it not your cables. when i took in the reciver to the shjop walk in did say a word they said hdmi issue.

Andrs7T

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:58 am

Hi Andrs7T,
We have responded to your other post with information to help assist you. Thank you!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR609 HDMI video out problem Empty TX-NR609 HDMI Handshake Confusion

Post  NDRobinson Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi,

This may fall into the category of 'bug' but perhaps you have a setting suggestion:

I have the TX-NR609 hooked up to a Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D BluRay player via high-speed HDMI cable, HDMI is set to 'Auto'. 3D discs play flawlessly at 1080p. Standard (2D) BluRay discs play perfectly, and when using the 2D-3D Conversion function on the BDT210 they also display without issue.

DVD's also work fine, upconverted to 1080p. However, when using the 2D-3D conversion on a DVD the 609 drops the signal, audio comes on-and-off-and-then-on, the HDMI light flashes, and then the BluRay player resets to playing the DVD at standard definition in 2D (and everything is displayed properly at 2D). I have connected the BDT210 directly to the TV with the same HDMI cables and everything works, and have also turned the 609 off, using HDMI pass-thru (yellow light is on) and the display works fine with the 2D converted to 3D. I believe this isolates the problem to the 609 processing. Occassionally, if you turn the 609 off, count to 5, and turn it back on while the DVD is playing and converted to 3D it will function properly and capture/process the HDMI but this is sporadic. I have also tried setting the HDMI processing to 'Thru' but this has no effect on the issue.

Any advice you can offer is most welcome. This is a small nit as everything else re: the 609 is awesome.

Thanks,
Nathan

NDRobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:49 pm

Hi Nathan,
I have someone looking into this for you and will get back to you soon, thank you for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi Nathan,
Do you have a TV that has some kind of HDMI control function on it? This will cause the effect you are experiencing. Can you please try to turn this feature off on the receiver and the blu-ray player to see if that corrects the issue you are having? Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  td854 Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:02 am

I just thought I'd go ahead and add my experience and queries to this post. Bought this receiver (TX-NR609) about 10 days ago. In the middle of using it today the screen turned into a garbled mess of black/purple/white diagonal lines so i turned off the receiver and back on to find that no signals were being passed through the hdmi. I have 11, yes 11, 10 foot hdmi cables, I tried 5 of them and the problem persisted, tried a different HDTV, everything. I unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in and turned on my DVR, the signal passed through just fine, then about 15 seconds later, the signal dropped, the picture would garble or move off screen then back on, then black out, etc. until the receiver would sit on "HDMI Start up" and just sit like that indefinitely. I tried different inputs, I tried using my HTPC, my Blu-ray player, no matter what input or device, it would do the same thing. I took the device back to the store and told them that that HDMI board was shot and got a replacement.

Previous to this I have had a TX-SR607 that has worked fine in every way for 2 years now, it did not have a fan so I used 3 120mm fans on the front to pull air out as I had the device with the rear covered due to space limitations with the stand my TV uses. The temperatures stayed very low. I'm noticing with this newer unit (the NR609) that the temperatures on the service readout are sitting around 35c with no fans, but above the HDMI board seems MUCH hotter than that. This unit seems to have an internal fan, which I would love to have on to keep the HDMI board cool to prevent a failure so soon, but I'm told that the temperature must reach 60c at the sensor (wherever it may be) for the fan to come on. Now no offense but this room can reach about 90F when my PCs are on and even if I had no fans on this thing with half the top blocked off, it's not going to reach 60c, maybe 58 if i really push it. So first what I want to know is, is there any way at all to have that fan run at all times so I don't have to use these ugly, noisy separate fans and so I can prolong the life of my receiver. Second, if the HDMI board fails from overheat, what am I looking at cost wise to ship it to a service center, and what would be the repair cost if I was out of warranty. I need to know so I can plan for the future as these boards are apparently terrible.

Thanks in advance.

td854

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:49 am

Hi td854,
I am sorry you are having issues with your unit. I am going to ask you to perform a factory reset on the unit to see if that corrects the issue you are having. Here is our blog post on the subject: http://onkyousacustomersupportblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/factory-reset/ Please read it over because it has all the important information you need to know about the reser as well as how to do it. Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  td854 Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:59 am

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi td854,
I am sorry you are having issues with your unit. I am going to ask you to perform a factory reset on the unit to see if that corrects the issue you are having. Here is our blog post on the subject: http onkyousacustomersupportblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/factory-reset/ Please read it over because it has all the important information you need to know about the reser as well as how to do it. Thank you.

I don't mean to be rude but, did you even read my post? I already got the unit exchanged, I just want to know how to prevent this for the future since the fan doesn't come on til the device hits around 60C and I'm told that it shouldn't go above 55C. Poor design if you ask me. I'd like the choice in the OSD to be able to turn the fan on to my specification, aka on all the time. For now I'm using 3 120mm fans which are obnoxiously humming even at low speeds, I'd rather use the fan that's built into the unit.

td854

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:18 am

Hi td854,
We apologies for accidentally giving you an answer for a different post. The forum has been overwhelmingly busy and your post must have been clicked on by mistake. Post holiday season can get a little crazy. Unfortunately, there is no way to manual operate the fan within the system. Systems overheating are rare and does not happen often. If the unit is a little warm that is normal because our receivers tend to run thay way. Thank you for choosing Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  td854 Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:04 am

Well, my 607 has lasted 2 years so far and my first 609 lasted 10 days, here's hoping the second one will last a lot longer... though I'm keeping the three noisy 120mm fans on it to be sure, I don't make enough money to be able to send it out for repair later on down the road.

td854

Back to top Go down

Post  NDRobinson Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi Onkyo Admin/Support,

Apologies for the delayed response -- my TV and BD player have Panasonic's version of HDMI control VieraLink. I have tried turning that off on both the TV and BD player (and various combinations therin) but it does not resolve the 2D-3D problem.

Thanks,
Nathan

NDRobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi NDRobinson,

Sorry for the delay. Try this, bypass the video processor on the receiver by pressing and holding down the vcr/dvr button and then press the return button twice so it says "skip" in the receivers display. Keep in mind that when this is done you will not be able to use the upscale or any of the other functions that the chip will do. Let us know if this works.
Note: To get the video processor to say “use” again simply repeat the instructions again.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NDRobinson Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi,

I tried this (turning the processing off) and it still did not work.

However, it appears if I start the DVD, turn off the receiver (using HDMI pass-thru, yellow light is on), switch from 2D-3D, wait for the new image, and then turn the receiver on, it captures the video and displays it in 3D fine. I've tried this with a few different DVD's now and it seems to work consistently.

So there's a work-around of sorts.

Nathan

NDRobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Ametrica Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:05 am

td854 wrote:Well, my 607 has lasted 2 years so far and my first 609 lasted 10 days, here's hoping the second one will last a lot longer... though I'm keeping the three noisy 120mm fans on it to be sure, I don't make enough money to be able to send it out for repair later on down the road.

I didn't have any problems with the Onkyo but my DVR recorder would play the video choppy when it got hot even though I had a single 120 mm fan blowing on it. Yes, it is slightly noisy, but I live with it. If only the DVR unit had a fan inside. Since I am limited with space and don't want the units outside the cabinet I had to set the DVR on top of the Onkyo with only about 50 mm spacing. With the fan blowing I thought it would be enough, but it wasn't. I had to increase the space to about 100 mm. Now everything is fine.

Maybe you can shop around and find a noiseless fan. Try this link: http://www.quietpcusa.com/Quiet-Computer-Fans-C6.aspx?gclid=CNmfj-P_hq4CFWnatgodC0rQ3Q

They even have larger 140 mm fans that may allow you to reduce your number.

I hope this is a help to you.

Ametrica

Back to top Go down

Post  Ametrica Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:42 am

td854 wrote:

I'm noticing with this newer unit (the NR609) that the temperatures on the service readout are sitting around 35°C with no fans, but above the HDMI board seems MUCH hotter than that. This unit seems to have an internal fan, which I would love to have on to keep the HDMI board cool to prevent a failure so soon, but I'm told that the temperature must reach 60°C at the sensor (wherever it may be) for the fan to come on. Now no offense but this room can reach about 30°C when my PCs are on and even if I had no fans on this thing with half the top blocked off, it's not going to reach 60°C, maybe 58 if i really push it. So first what I want to know is, is there any way at all to have that fan run at all times so I don't have to use these ugly, noisy separate fans and so I can prolong the life of my receiver. Second, if the HDMI board fails from overheat, what am I looking at cost wise to ship it to a service center, and what would be the repair cost if I was out of warranty. I need to know so I can plan for the future as these boards are apparently terrible.

Thanks in advance.

I would be curious to know how the service readout can be accessed. I didn't notice it in the manual but possibly I overlooked it. The manual seems to be very vague on overheating, even though this can be the source of most problems. Maybe there should be a section dedicated to it. It may prevent people from having to send their units in for repair since they may falsely believe they have failed where in fact they may be shutting down from excess heat.

If there are truly temperature sensors in the unit, then it shouldn't be that difficult to modify the firmware to display a message on the screen that the unit is near a critical temperature and should either be shut down to cool or the unit will automatically shut down. A plethora of messages may force users to give the unit more space or add fans if needed to reduce the overheating. What is the possibility of the Onkyo Engineers of modifying the firmware to add this feature?

I hope you don't mind, but in your quote I changed the "90F" to 30°C so I can understand it and compare it to 35°C and 60°C. I don't know what 90F means anyway.

Ametrica

Back to top Go down

Post  Outercript Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:18 pm

Ametrica wrote:
td854 wrote:Well, my 607 has lasted 2 years so far and my first 609 lasted 10 days, here's hoping the second one will last a lot longer... though I'm keeping the three noisy 120mm fans on it to be sure, I don't make enough money to be able to send it out for repair later on down the road.

I didn't have any problems with the Onkyo but my DVR recorder would play the video choppy when it got hot even though I had a single 120 mm fan blowing on it. Yes, it is slightly noisy, but I live with it. If only the DVR unit had a fan inside. Since I am limited with space and don't want the units outside the cabinet I had to set the DVR on top of the Onkyo with only about 50 mm spacing. With the fan blowing I thought it would be enough, but it wasn't. I had to increase the space to about 100 mm. Now everything is fine.

Maybe you can shop around and find a noiseless fan. Try this link: http://www.quietpcusa.com/Quiet-Computer-Fans-C6.aspx?gclid=CNmfj-P_hq4CFWnatgodC0rQ3Q

They even have larger 140 mm fans that may allow you to reduce your number.

I hope this is a help to you.

I agree with you, I just got a 120mm computer fan (about $9) sitting on top of my RC360 blowing fresh air into the unit which is very quiet, its barely noticeable even at 30 cm with no sound output.

So far the receiver seems to be properly cold down and feel a lot more confident on the longevity of the unit.

Fan Specs: 12V - 2000RPM - 78 CFM Air Flow - 36dBA Noise

Outercript

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down