Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Firmware upgrade for TX-NR717

3 posters

Go down

Firmware upgrade for TX-NR717 Empty Firmware upgrade for TX-NR717

Post  blwmhv Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:20 pm

I just got a new TX-NR717 and was notified that there is a new firmware version available and prompted to download and update. My receiver is connected to the network using an Onkyo WiFi adapted. The firmware upgrade instructions imply that the firmware upgrade should be done using a wired Ethernet connection, so I attempted to update the firmware using a usb stick. I downloaded the latest firmware from the onkyousa.com website unzipped the file, copied the files from the unzipped directory to the root directory of my usb stick and proceeded with the update. The update completed successfully, and I powered off/on my receiver. The problem is that I am still getting prompted to upgrade my firmware. So I have a couple questions.

1) can up update the firmware using the WiFi connection? I have no way of running a Ethernet cable from my router to the receiver.

2) After unzipping the firmware update, I noticed two sets of identically named files, the first set dated 6/15/2012 and a second set in the AVR000E_release directory with a date of 7/23/2012. Do I need to copy the 7/23/2012 to the root directory of my usb stick in place from the 06/15/2012 set?

Thanks.

blwmhv

Back to top Go down

Firmware upgrade for TX-NR717 Empty Re: Firmware upgrade for TX-NR717

Post  OnkyoUSA Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:22 pm

What is the current firmware version on your receiver now? This would better indicate if you'd need to do another firmware update on this receiver? If you are still experiencing the same issue , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blwmhv Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Thanks for the quick response

The current firmware is 1070-4100-0100-0000

blwmhv

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Thank you for the information; but this is not the latest firmware version for this receiver. As the last firmware update was a 2-part version:

A firmware update is now available through the Network or USB connections.
Latest Firmware Version: 1100-7101-0100-0000
The 7/24 /2012 update will address the following:
1. Supports Onkyo Remote2 for iOS version: 1.30 or later;
-Adds support for high end models & audio streaming from iOS device
2. Supports Onkyo Remote for Android version: 1.30 or later;
-Adds support for high end models
*it is also necessary to update the App
3. Improves operation of "Power on" of remote control
4. Adds support of playback of Dolby True HD 192kHz file format by using Home Media Function;
Notice:
Limitation of when using UWF-1
1. Only 64 kHz and less sampling rate is supported; 2. Dolby TrueHD and DSD is not supported when using
Home Media Function; 3. Using at rear USB port is not supported when using Home Media Function;
The 6/15 /12 update will address the following:
1. Corrects unexpected instance where a portion of the internal memory may stop working during operation.
*See below for further important details
2. Adds UBT-1 Support

*IMPORTANT NOTICE
1) If the current F/W version of your receiver IS listed above, this update will occur in 2 parts.
a. The 1st part of the update will clear the settings and restore the unit to factory default
setting. Initial set-up must be performed again including Network setting and Audyssey calibration.
b. Once the network setting are re-established, the 2nd portion of the update will occur which will add
support for the UBT-1. Settings WILL NOT be cleared as a result of this 2nd portion.
c. It is recommended to proceed with these FW update via USB

I would advise to re-attempt the firmware update of the receiver to the latest version depicted above. You can also view our YouTube tutorial on successfully the firmware version of our Onkyo receivers via this webpage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNM-N-JiT-g&list=PLCD4593F66DC5D23C&index=2&feature=plpp_video.

Best Regards;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  blwmhv Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks for the response, sorry for my delay in getting back to this. I did not have time during the week to mess around. I did not realize that the firmware update procedure needed to be run twice, I ran it against and it appears that the receiver has picked up the latest firmware. Thanks!

blwmhv

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:22 pm

No problem. If you need any further assistance; please contact us via phone, email, or via our Onkyo Forum at https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/f1-welcome-to-the-onkyo-forum.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AZMedia Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:29 am

Hi,

The original question on this thread was never really answered so let me re-ask.

1) Unzipping the firmware creates ONE folder and 5 files (dated 6-15-12). Inside the "AVR000E_Release" folder are 5 of the same files but dated 7-23-12. Do we move all of this, including the "AVR" folder to the USB stick? I have read of people moving just 5 files.
Firmware upgrade for TX-NR717 Onkupdate

2) OnkyoUSA mentions the update process is "2 parts". After you configure your network again and Audyssey, how do you get the update to start Part 2? If using the regular update process for Part 2, do any changes need to be made with the USB contents.

For Onkyo:
Nowhere in any official update pages does it state this is a 2 part process, or the need to reconfigure your system.
Nowhere does it explain if you will loose settings. This is extremely important info - could take notes of existing settings to restore later.
One simple sentence or "screenshot" in the official update page would clarify exactly what files need to be on the USB stick.

AZMedia

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:42 pm

PLEASE NOTE: THIS FORUM SITE WILL BE DEACTIVATED AND WILL PREVENT YOU FROM POSTING MESSAGES. WE ADVISE YOU TO REGISTER ONTO OUR NEW FORUM SITE: http://forums.onkyousa.com/ WITH YOUR EMAIL, MODEL AND SERIAL NUMBER OF YOUR RECEIVER. AS WE WILL NO LONGER REVIEW THIS FORUM EFFECTIVE TODAY.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down