Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR818 Audio/Video Drops

5 posters

Go down

TX-NR818 Audio/Video Drops Empty TX-NR818 Audio/Video Drops

Post  salisburyclan Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:42 am

Here is a copy of a mail I just sent to Onkyo. I'm posting it here because someone may have already had to deal with this issue and might be able to help me out before Onkyo responds.

I purchased a TX-NR818 last week and I'm having issues that I hope can be resolved without me sending the unit back. My issues are with my devices hooked to the receiver via HDMI. I have a Panasonic Bluray player connected to BD/DVD, a Comcast HD cable box on CBL/SAT, an Apple TV on STP/DVR and an Xbox 360 connected to Game1. Since I've only had it a few days I have not spent a lot of time on all the devices, but what is happening is with the Comcast HD connection on the CBL/Sat HDMI port the audio will drop every few minutes for about 1-2 seconds. This will happen randomly during shows. The other issue is on the Xbox 360 that is connected on the Game1 HDMI port. It will drop audio and video randomly during gameplay. Also, I have a Vizio TV on the Main HDMI out and an Optoma Projector on the Sub HDMI out. Why can't I get audio to play to the Vizio TV? I understand audio isn't going to be passed out the SUB HDMI output, but I thought it pass audio out to the Main HDMI output.

My HDMI cables are all 6' so I don't think it is an HDMI length issue. Also, the receiver is connected the my LAN and has the latest updates. Any help will be appreciated. If I can't a resolution soon then I am going to send the receiver back. I really don't want to because it does everything I need it to do and more.

Thanks

Last edited by salisburyclan on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misspelled the manufacturing type of projector.)

salisburyclan

Back to top Go down

TX-NR818 Audio/Video Drops Empty Re: TX-NR818 Audio/Video Drops

Post  salisburyclan Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:19 pm

salisburyclan wrote:Here is a copy of a mail I just sent to Onkyo. I'm posting it here because someone may have already had to deal with this issue and might be able to help me out before Onkyo responds.

I purchased a TX-NR818 last week and I'm having issues that I hope can be resolved without me sending the unit back. My issues are with my devices hooked to the receiver via HDMI. I have a Panasonic Bluray player connected to BD/DVD, a Comcast HD cable box on CBL/SAT, an Apple TV on STP/DVR and an Xbox 360 connected to Game1. Since I've only had it a few days I have not spent a lot of time on all the devices, but what is happening is with the Comcast HD connection on the CBL/Sat HDMI port the audio will drop every few minutes for about 1-2 seconds. This will happen randomly during shows. The other issue is on the Xbox 360 that is connected on the Game1 HDMI port. It will drop audio and video randomly during gameplay. Also, I have a Vizio TV on the Main HDMI out and an Optoma Projector on the Sub HDMI out. Why can't I get audio to play to the Vizio TV? I understand audio isn't going to be passed out the SUB HDMI output, but I thought it pass audio out to the Main HDMI output.

My HDMI cables are all 6' so I don't think it is an HDMI length issue. Also, the receiver is connected the my LAN and has the latest updates. Any help will be appreciated. If I can't a resolution soon then I am going to send the receiver back. I really don't want to because it does everything I need it to do and more.

Thanks

I did replace my HDMI cables yesterday with 3' HDMI 1.4 cables. I am still having an issue with the Xbox 360 dropping audio and video. It does it randomly. I haven't watched a full movie on the BluRay or the Apple TV yet so I don't know if those HDMI ports are affected. My daughters are using the Xbox 360 and they text me every time is drops. You can see on the display of the Onkyo when it drops because the display blanks out. As far as the Comcast cable is concerned I read where the Motorola boxes have issues with HDMI audio so I will probably just use HDMI for video and fiber for audio. Part of me thinks this could be resolved with a firmware update, but another part of me thinks there is actually a physical problem with the HDMI connections. If it is firmware and if I knew it was being addressed then I wouldn't worry about sending it back because I know it will get resolved.

Please let me know what I should do because my window of being able to exchange this is getting smaller.

salisburyclan

Back to top Go down

Post  sylvestermcmonkey Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi salisburyclan

I sent my 818 back for a refund due to a similar problem (you can find my post on this forum if you look). Two or three days might pass with no problem, then it would crop up again. Since it happens so infrequently, I am reluctant to simply exchange it for another. I did not want to have its replacement go past the 30 day vendor refund period and be stuck with a unit that simply can't be fixed. I'm dealing with another expensive appliance that has been in the repair shop for over a month with no resolution in sight, and don't want another nightmare on my hands. A warranty is of little value when I lose the use of an item for so long.

Given that several firmware updates have resulted in even more problems at least for some people, at the moment I lack any confidence this problem is fixable. So, for what it's worth, I think you should return it.

I really, really like the receiver, but for now I'm holding off on buying another. If and when Onkyo fixes it I will reconsider.

sylvestermcmonkey

Back to top Go down

TX-NR818 Audio/Video Drops Empty Narrowing down the issue?

Post  Nteshy Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi all

I had a similar problem yesterday when connecting a WDTV Live via HDMI to the Onkyo. However, unlike other cases described here, the signal would not hold at all and would drop out almost immediately. The video would show initially and the audio would stutter, then the picture would start blanking out. After a minute (at most), I would either get picture and no audio or no signal at all.

After mucking around with a number of settings and not being able to resolve the issue, I found that disabling 12 bit colour depth (and reverting back to 8 bit) on the WDTV stabilised the connection.

So it appears that the nr818 cannot properly handle 12 bit colour depth HDMI signals! I would have to assume (hope?) that this is an issue that can be resolved in firmware, given that the 818 can supposedly handle 4K content.

Can anyone else confirm similar issues?

Nteshy

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi Nteshy,

Are you connecting High-speed 1080p HDMI cables as this may have an impact?

Thank you,

Forum Moderator.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR818 Audio/Video Drops Empty Wow......what junk???

Post  justin82 Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:56 pm

After digging through these forums i realize that it is not problems wit my unit but rather a design flaw by onkyo. Waht a pos. I have the exact same issue. Wartching from wd live and it just keeps losing signal. Unbelievable..at least u have the ability to return it. I only bought this crap for when i have company and need to entertain.

justin82

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down