Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR609 Subwoofer connection problem.

2 posters

Go down

TX-NR609 Subwoofer connection problem. Empty TX-NR609 Subwoofer connection problem.

Post  colebusby Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:30 pm

Hello,

I just bought a refurbished NR609, but I did not buy new speakers because I want to continue using my older ones. The problem is my subwoofer has the + and - speaker lines, but the NR609 has a coaxial output. I know that if I use the pre-out for the subwoofer on the NR609, I will need an external amplifier for the sub to work. The NR609 also has a subwoofer output that is not labeled as pre-out. My question is, will I need an external amplifier if I use the subwoofer output that is NOT labeled as pre-out? or, can I just get a converter cable to convert the RCA/Coaxial output to speaker wire?

Thanks for any help that can be given!

Last edited by colebusby on Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error.)

colebusby

Back to top Go down

TX-NR609 Subwoofer connection problem. Empty Re: TX-NR609 Subwoofer connection problem.

Post  coxie2 Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:36 pm

colebusby
Just checked the back of my 609 and I believe both of the sub outs require a powered sub, the "pre out" at the bottom of both, as at the bottom of Zone 2, refer to both rca jacks. I have connected my powered sub out to either one with the same result. You will need to amplify the signal.

hope this helps.

coxie2

Back to top Go down

TX-NR609 Subwoofer connection problem. Empty Re: TX-NR609 Subwoofer connection problem.

Post  colebusby Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:16 pm

It helps a lot, thanks! I guess I will need to pick up an amplifier. That is still better for my current budget than spending $100+ on a new subwoofer. Why are there two subwoofer outputs? Is one for zone two?

colebusby

Back to top Go down

Post  coxie2 Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:46 pm

Some folks use two subs in their speaker set up so the folks at Onkyo were kind enough to add the second sub out. I guess you could use the second for Zone 2. If you ran rca's from the zone 2 pre (next to the sub outs) and the 2nd sub out to a separate amp in another room that might work but the 609 would still need to be on as well as the second amp for Z2. Keep checking newegg or other outlets for sales on powered subs, you might find one to fit your budget. Most generally the powered subs have better adjustments than you could every get from an inexpensive stand alone amp. Good luck and enjoy your 609.

coxie2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down