Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Analog audio through zone 2

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Analog audio through zone 2 Empty Analog audio through zone 2

Post  albaranov Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi, I have the TX-SR608 model. My computer Acer Aspire Revo R3610 is connected to Onkyo via HDMI (HDMI5). In addition, Acer is connected to Musical Fidelity V-DAC mkii via USB, which is connected to Onkyo via analog inputs. It goes without saying that for the surround output and for the stereo output I use different drivers in Windows 7. Several days ago I configured zone 2 according to manual (AND I READ it!). The zone 2 is not well detailed in the manual, and there is not enough info on this forum.
1. First of all, the sound (stereo) is not very impressive by using zone 2 compared to regular setup (main room, HDMI, stereo mode). Is it normal? The bass is considerably lower.
2. Then why every time I turn zone 2 on, the bass of zone 2 is at +2 level and I have to push it all the way up to +10? I cannot do it with the remote so the process is quite boring. By the way, the treble is +10 when the zone 2 is activated.
3. During playback through zone 2 why do I have other surround speakers (front left and right) sound together with stereo speakers (connected to zone 2)? I have to push the surround speakers volume to zero ("MIN").
4. When I change the volume for zone 1 I can see it on the TV screen, with the zone 2 I see nothing on the TV screen. Is it normal?
The last comment. For video files I output through PC IN (HDMI5) 5 surround speakers, for Stereo I output through zone 2 (analog) - 2 floor standing speakers. Thank you in advance. Alex, Hartsdale, NY

albaranov

Back to top Go down

Analog audio through zone 2 Empty Re: Analog audio through zone 2

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi albaranov,
This is what we would like you to try if you can: bypass the computer and musical fidelity v-dac mki usb adapter and try and use just the radio (am or fm, you will need the antennas connected) then select zone 2 to see how it sounds. If this setup works then the receiver is performing the way it was designed too. Let us know the results. Thank you for being an Onkyo Cusotmer!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  albaranov Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 am

Hi Onkyo Gurus,
I have conducted the requested test.
The computer and V-DAC were off. I could listen to the radio through the regular setup and through the zone 2. The problems were still there. "During playback through zone 2 why do I have other surround speakers (front left and right) sound together with stereo speakers (connected to zone 2)? I have to push the surround speakers volume to zero ("MIN"). When I change the volume for zone 1 I can see it on the TV screen, with the zone 2 I see nothing on the TV screen."
Just in case, my speakers are connected in this way:
Zone 2 - 2 floor standing speakers (when I adjust volume of these speakers, I cannot see it on the TV screen);
Front Speakers - 2 book shelf speakers (these speakers sound together with Zone 2 speakers, adjustment of their volume can be seen on TV screen);
Surround Speakers - 2 book shelf speakers;
Surr Back or Front High or Front Wide - not connected;
Center speaker - 1 center speaker;
No subwoofer;
Awaiting your advice. Thanks.
Alex, Hartsdale NY

albaranov

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi albaranov,
I have an associate looking into this for you and will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi albaranov,
1. You mentioned that "The computer and V-DAC were off", are they in fact completely disconnected from the receiver or just turned off?
2. Are you using the powered zone 2? In the spring clips that say front high/ front wide or zone 2, it needs to be set to zone 2 if using powered zone 2.
Thanks!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  albaranov Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:32 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi albaranov,
1. You mentioned that "The computer and V-DAC were off", are they in fact completely disconnected from the receiver or just turned off?
2. Are you using the powered zone 2? In the spring clips that say front high/ front wide or zone 2, it needs to be set to zone 2 if using powered zone 2.
Thanks!
Hi, thanks for looking into my inquiry.
1. No, they were not disconnected during the test, I can completely disconnect them and repeat the test.
2. Yes, I have selected the zone 2 in setup.
Kind Regards.
Alex

albaranov

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi albaranov,
Please disconnect them and try the test again. Once we know the results we can troubleshoot the situation further. Please know that the forum is only running until 4:00 today all other questions will be repsonded too on Monday. Have a great Thanksgiving Weekend!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  albaranov Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi, So I powered off and disconnected both my PC and V-DAC.
The problem is the same. "During playback through zone 2 I have other surround speakers (front left and right) sound together with stereo speakers (connected to zone 2)." I have to turn the volume of the surround speakers down to "MIN", then control the volume of zone 2 either on the receiver or with the remote. When I do it with the remote the display does not show any numerical equivalent of the volume.
Happy Thanksgiving! Alex

albaranov

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:14 am

Hi Alex,
I am going to ask you to perform a reset on your unit. There's some important information you need to know before doing a rest. Here is our blog post with all that information as well as how to perform the reset: http://onkyousacustomersupportblog.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/factory-reset/
After the reset is complete please test it again using only the tuner. Thank you and I hope you had a nice weekend!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  albaranov Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:33 am

Hi,
I did the reset before I conducted the first test several days ago.
If I can hear my L and R speakers during zone 2 operation, does it mean that something is wrong with my speakers configuration? You never said a word about my speakers configuration. Regards, Alex

albaranov

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 pm

Hi Alex,
Yes, it is possible that it could be something with in speaker configuration. Please run through Audyssey one more time. Thank you!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  albaranov Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:16 pm

Hi, I will do it again in the evening. But before that tell me if my speakers configuration is O.K.:

This is how my speakers are connected ("..." - how it is marked at the rear).
Zone 2 (2 speakers):
"...Zone 2" - 2 floor standing speakers;
Surround configuration (5 speakers):
"Front Speakers" - 2 book shelf speakers (these speakers sound together with Zone 2 speakers, I have to push it down to "MIN" every time I use Zone 2);
"Surround Speakers" - 2 book shelf speakers;
"Center Speaker" - 1 speaker is connected;
"Surr Back or Front High or Front Wide" - not connected;
No subwoofer.
Thanks, Alex

albaranov

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi Alex,
That seems fine. Once you run Audyssey again if it does not work we will take the next steps to help you. Thanks!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  albaranov Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Hi, I have conducted my test.
As far as I can understand, my floor standing speakers, connected to zone2 with analog cables, are not covered by this test.
This is what I read on the TV screen during the test.
2 EQ: Auto Setup
Speakers Type (Front) Normal x (selected) Bi-Amp
Speaker Terminal Assignment
Front High/Front Wide/Zone2 - Zone2 selected
SurrBack/Front High/Front Wide Surr Back selected
NOTE - I do not know why it shows up, as I do not have any speaker connected to it.
In the First Position screen I saw 7.1 configuration (very strange since I do not have it).
In the Second and Third Position screens I saw 5.0 configuration (which is correct).
The result of the test:
Subwoofer - No (correct)
Front - Full Band (I think it is wrong, I have bookshelf speakers connected to LF and RF, not Full Band)
Center - 150Hz (correct, 1 speaker is connected)
Surround - 100Hz (correct, 2 speakers are connected)
Front Wide - None
Front High - None
Surr Back - None
Surr Back Ch ---
Then I checked the system under "Tuner" mode.
In zone1 (main settings) the surround speakers worked.
In zone2 the surround speakers worked but the zone2 speakers did not sound.
Then I checked the system under "PC" mode.
In zone1 (main settings) the surround speakers worked.
In zone2 the surround speakers worked AND the zone2 speakers also worked. I have to push the surround speakers (connected to Front Left and Front Right) down to "MIN" to avoid interference with the zone2 sound. In any case the quality of sound from the floor standing Cerwin Vega speakers connected to zone2 is worse than the sound coming from mediocre book shelf speakers (Compact Theater One SR by Atlantic Technology) connected to Front L and Front R.
I AM VERY UPSET. I bought Onkyo to replace Yamaha receiver and I thought it would be a step up. Instead I have a headache.
Asking other forum members' opinion: Does anybody have experience with Denon/Marantz/... to compare with Onkyo AV receivers in terms of setup and configuration?
Thanks, Alex

albaranov

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Hi Alex,
I understand you must be frustrated. I have one more thing I would like you to try. In the manual it says, "Powered Zone 2 cannot be used if “Speakers Type” is set to Bi-Amp” You did say that you had Speakers Type (Front) Normal x (selected) Bi-Amp. Please set them to normal and not bi-amp and try again.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  albaranov Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi,
"Speakers Type (Front) Normal x (selected) Bi-Amp" - it means that there were two options Normal and Bi-Amp, I selected Normal.
Thanks, Alex

albaranov

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Oh I apologies I miss understood. I remember you telling me that you tried a reset and that did not correct the issue for you. Let me consult with an associate and get back to you soon.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:52 pm

Hi Alex,
After speaking with an associate they felt it best that you call into product support so they can talk you through the issue you are having. We feel it will be easier. You can reach them at 1-800-229-1687. Thank you for your patience!
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  albaranov Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi, I hope the product support team works on Saturday or Sunday as it is the only chance for me to be next to the receiver and call them at the same time. Alex

albaranov

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 am

I hope you were able to get through, yes we are here on the weekends! 10-4
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  albaranov Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Hi, yes I called the number provided by you (1-800-229-1687) and spoke to the support rep.
1. He was not aware of the existence of this forum (https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com). Then he asked somebody around and confirmed that this site is affiliated with Onkyo. Actually he could read the whole discussion, just to make sure it was understood correctly.
2. When I described the issue he initially agreed with what you told me in this forum that it was not normal when zone1 and zone2 output sound in parallel when I used zone2. Then he consulted somebody in his office and stated that it was normal.
3. When I said that the quality of 24-bit 96KHz sound, output from the computer (ASIO4ALL driver, Foobar2000 player) through the USB V-DAC ii and zone2 on Onkyo, was worse than through zone1, he said that it was not worse - it was different. I tried to challenge this statement and then he said that it could be V-DAC's fault.

Conclusion: I am more confused after the discussion with the Onkyo support rep, then before it.
Can you please give me CLEAR advice how to setup and configure my components to get the high quality of sound that Onkyo advertised for this product?
My hardware:
1. PC Acer Aspire Revo r3610, HDMI HD audio driver for surround sound (connected to Onkyo with HDMI cable), for stereo - ASIO4ALL driver and Foobar2000 player;
2. Musical Fidelity V-DAC mkii, connected to my PC with USB cable, then it is connected to zone2 of Onkyo receiver with a high quality RCA cable.
3. Onkyo SR-608.
4. Speakers: 5.1 bookshelf speakers for surround sound (video); 2 Cerwin Vega full band floor standing speakers (stereo sound).

I need to output two types of files:
- Video files (any format, like AVI, MKV) should go from PC to Onkyo (HDMI connection) and
- Audio files (like FLAC 24-bit 96KHz stereo) should go from PC to V-DAC (USB connection) and then to Onkyo (RCA cable).

Thank you, Alex

albaranov

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Alex,
This forum is run by Onkyo, don't worry. I have an associate in Product Support looking into this for you. We will get back to you shortly, thank you for all your patience when dealing with this issue you are having.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi Alex,
After consulting with a co-worker he has determined that depending upon the type of video card and adapter you have you should be able to output audio to zone 2 with this setup. Thank you for choosing Onkyo.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  albaranov Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:15 pm

Hello, it's amazing!
Your answer does not follow my questions. You confirmed that this forum is run by Onkyo (the easiest part), but completely ignored other issues.
Please read about other issues, if needed please re-read my earlier reports:

"...2. When I described the issue he initially agreed with what you told me in this forum that it was not normal when zone1 and zone2 output sound in parallel when I used zone2. Then he consulted somebody in his office and stated that it was normal.
3. When I said that the quality of 24-bit 96KHz sound, output from the computer (ASIO4ALL driver, Foobar2000 player) through the USB V-DAC ii and zone2 on Onkyo, was worse than through zone1, he said that it was not worse - it was different. I tried to challenge this statement and then he said that it could be V-DAC's fault.
...Can you please give me CLEAR advice how to setup and configure my components to get the high quality of sound that Onkyo advertised for this product?"

I am still patient but it is getting more and more difficult.
Alex

albaranov

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi Alex,
Please send us a private message with your phone number and someone from product support will call you personally. Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next