Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Noob question - 4 HDMI + 2 component doesn't allow 6 devices?

2 posters

Go down

Noob question - 4 HDMI + 2 component doesn't allow 6 devices? Empty Noob question - 4 HDMI + 2 component doesn't allow 6 devices?

Post  Andrewww Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi there,
I have read the entire owner manual (so please don't reply with a RTFM) and I just want someone to confirm what I think I understood.
I have a HT-S3400 receiver and I purchased it because it allowed me to connect 4 HDMI + 2 component devices.
Unfortunately, from what I understand, it will allow only 4 devices to be connected because the component inputs are not independant, they are taking one HDMI spot each.
So if I want to use both component sources for example, I will have to use the BD/DVD and the CBL/SAT inputs, which will then not be available in HDMI, resulting in having only 2 HDMI input remaining.
Is there something I misunderstood? It's quite a disappointment for me because I changed my Sony receiver to this Onkyo to have 3 more sources but it turns out that I only have 1 more.
Thanks!

Andrewww

Back to top Go down

Noob question - 4 HDMI + 2 component doesn't allow 6 devices? Empty Re: Noob question - 4 HDMI + 2 component doesn't allow 6 devices?

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi ndrewww,

As you know this unit does not do any video up conversion so with that said it depends on what kinds of connections your devices have.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Noob question - 4 HDMI + 2 component doesn't allow 6 devices? Empty Re: Noob question - 4 HDMI + 2 component doesn't allow 6 devices?

Post  Andrewww Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:55 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi ndrewww,

As you know this unit does not do any video up conversion so with that said it depends on what kinds of connections your devices have.

I knew about the conversion and I didn't mind because I can deal with the fact that I need to use a component PLUS a HDMI output to my TV.
However, I thought I could use 4 HDMI devices using HDMI OUT PLUS 2 component devices using component OUT. The way I understand it now, it will not allow me to do that. If I connect 2 component device, I will only have 2 HDMI input available.
Am I right?
In my mind when I purchased the receiver, I was going to have HDMI 1 to 4 inputs *AND* component 1 & 2 inputs for a total of 6 high-def inputs.

Andrewww

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi Andrewww,

It is true that you can not assign two different devices to two different inputs at the same time.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down