Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems with Firmware 1130-9106-0300 for TX-NR616 or TX-NR515

3 posters

Go down

Problems with Firmware 1130-9106-0300 for TX-NR616 or TX-NR515 Empty Problems with Firmware 1130-9106-0300 for TX-NR616 or TX-NR515

Post  NoHoTech Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Problems with the latest Firmware 1130-9106-0300 with release date of Aug 9th. I installed it on Saturday 11th and had spent time trying to make my unit work for my setup.

Several problems that I encountered:

1. During Onkyo receiver HDMI input and monitor out (changing it around) setup, handshake signal is lost (no picture, blue background). Both the CableTV box and the Onkyo receiver power cords need to be unplugged and pluged back in. Turning off (off button) units do not reset the HDMI handshake signal. Both units need to reboot from power cycle (unpluging the power cord) since the standby power remains to prevent it to reset.

2. DLNA media does not display the Artist's name, even when iTunes and Windows Media Player show both the artist's name and album artist's name. Therefore, the artist search function in Onkyo receiver also does not work. It never finds any artist.

3. 4K upsampling setting problem:
If we accidentally choose 4K upsampling to monitor out when the monitor is only capable of 1080p resolution, the screen turns black and we cannot revert back to 1080p. There is no recovery mechanism. There should be a question/confirmation to revert back if the monitor is incapable of 4K resolution. There is no reset mechanism at all. Neither powering off or even unpluging the power cord of both the Onkyo receiver and the TV would reset the monitor out to "Auto". I have to go through the menu half-blind by referring the hardcopy manual (as a map) together with the receiver display as suppose to the screen menu to reset the monitor out to "Auto" since the screen remains black throughout my reset procedure. It would be crucial for the receiver to be able to reset to "Auto" by default if the resolution is a mismatch.

4. The resolution is never native even in pass-through when it comes to PC video card. The signal that passes through Onkyo video chip losses its crispness and rather blurry as if it passes through defocus filtering. It is especially obvious when looking at text at smaller font size. It seems that the receiver is fundamentally design around semiconductor that support multi-media entertainment from Blu-ray or DVD players but it is not necessarily good at rendering HDMI output of Nvidia or ATI cards.

5. HDMI problem with PC video cards:
There is no picture (only Blue Screen) when PC video card HDMI output is connected to any of the HDMI input on the Onkyo side.
The video cards was able to read the identification of TX-NR616 and the correct resolution, however, Onkyo receiver is not able to display any content. There was some communication since both units acknowledged the existence of the other but not complete communication that allows correct display of content. This problem only happens with some PC video cards like ATI (AMD) FireGL X1. However, selecting PC input still produces the analog sound, but no HDMI communication both Video and Audio. It works with Intel HD Graphics 4000 or Nvidia GTX-480 video cards.

6. Since I'm not sitting in equidistant between my speakers I need to set the distance within the receiver. When I manually set the speaker volume & distance Left and Right, the receiver was able to make the delay adjustment quite well. However, when I used Audyssey auto calibration, it appears to ignore the distance information and the sound becomes imbalance between Left and Right pronouncely.

7. Does configuring the receiver speakers as stereo pair turn-off unused discrete amplifiers? Does turning of zone2 also turn off its amplifier. It would be waste of electricity to keep them on when there are no speakers connected. Most of the time I only use bi-amp stereo pair, ie. 4 discrete amps, as suppose to 7. I did turned off the other speakers in the setting menu but from the heat generated, it appears that all 7 discrete amps are ON.

If anyone has any solution, please let us know.

Thanks

NoHoTech

Back to top Go down

Problems with Firmware 1130-9106-0300 for TX-NR616 or TX-NR515 Empty PC Video

Post  steverobertsbbc Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:53 am

With regard to 4 and 5, I don't think it's unreasonable for an AV amplifier to only support known TV resolutions, rather than the massive number of resolutions available from a PC video card. If you select a TV resolution such as 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps as the output of your PC then the amp should pass it untouched.

steverobertsbbc

Back to top Go down

Problems with Firmware 1130-9106-0300 for TX-NR616 or TX-NR515 Empty Re: Problems with Firmware 1130-9106-0300 for TX-NR616 or TX-NR515

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:07 pm

We are still in the progress of resolving this issue; but would like some information from those afflicted with this issue to provide the following data for further research:

• Make/model of source device(s):

• Does this happen with all sources? If not, which one(s)?

• Make/model and length of HDMI cables/extenders/etc :

• When does this happen (always at initial power on, when switching sources, while watching a particular source, combination)?

• Make/model of TV/ Projector:

• Approximately how often does this happen (1 out of 10 times, etc)?

• How many times has this happened?

• How long has the unit been installed?

• What is the exact firmware version (check by going to FW update via the "Home" button on the remote)?

• What is the HDMI Monitor Out setting (Auto, THRU, etc)?

• Are you using HDMI OUT MAIN or SUB?

• What is the Picture Mode (Custom, Cinema, Through, Direct, etc)?

• Is HDMI Control (RIHD) On or Off (look in Hardware Setup-> HDMI)?

• Is HDMI THRU On or Off (look in Hardware Setup-> HDMI)?

• Is Net Standby On or Off ((look in Hardware Setup-> Network)?

• What is the Incoming and Outgoing video resolution (press the Display Button on the front panel until it shows both… should be something like "1080p/60 -> 1080p/60")

We appreciate all responses and look forward to resolving this issue promptly. Thank you again for your patronage, patience, and cooperation.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Problems with Firmware 1130-9106-0300 for TX-NR616 or TX-NR515 Empty Problems with Firmware 1130-9106-0300 for TX-NR616 or TX-NR515

Post  NoHoTech Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Reply to steverobertsbbc:

I agree that it makes no sense to support much lower resolutions. 1920x1080 is in fact the native resolution I was discussing on the PC side, while the Panasonic HDTV resolution is set at 1080p @ 60 fps. In short, both input and output resolution are matched at 1920x1080 @ 60 fps. Therefore, it is pixel to pixel direct/through native mapping without any upscaling or downscaling. PC video cards are Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GTX-480 GPU.

Reply to OnkyoUSA:
• Make/model of source device(s):
• Make/model of TV/ Projector:
All input/output are through HDMI.
Input sources: Denon DVD-2900 DVD player, Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player, Cisco 4642 HDC cable box, and video cards of Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GTX-480 GPU.
Output monitor: Panasonic HDTV TC-L37U3 with resolution of 1080p @ 60 fps.

• Make/model and length of HDMI cables/extenders/etc :
Monoprice 4K bandwidth rated. Gauge 24 AWG. Length 6 ft. No Ferrite rings for RFI/EMI rejection.
Cable bandwidth capability or signal drop are not the problem, but I understand why you asked.
I'm only using 4K cable for 1080p/60 data bandwidth, ie. at 1/4 of its max bandwidth capability.

• Does this happen with all sources? If not, which one(s)?
• How many times has this happened?
• When does this happen (always at initial power on, when switching sources, while watching a particular source, combination)?
• Approximately how often does this happen (1 out of 10 times, etc)?
All symptoms I described with the exception of point number 1. happen consistently for all sources and can be replicated in your lab. It is not intermittent problem. In short, it is either chip or device firmware programming problem.

• How long has the unit been installed?
New Unit bought on Friday Aug 10th, firmware 1130-9106-0300 dated Aug 9, 2012 immediately installed before using the receiver.
Problems described only pertinent to the aforementioned firmware. Never used receiver with previous version of firmware.

• What is the exact firmware version (check by going to FW update via the "Home" button on the remote)?
I believe the title and the first sentence of the posting mentioned it. But I'll repeat it for the n times: Firmware 1130-9106-0300 dated Aug 9th.

• What is the HDMI Monitor Out setting (Auto, THRU, etc)?
Mostly in Auto, but tried Through as well. Symptoms are consistent in both Auto and Through even though both input source and output monitor resolution are matched at 1080p/60 (1920x1080).

• Are you using HDMI OUT MAIN or SUB?
MAIN

• What is the Picture Mode (Custom, Cinema, Through, Direct, etc)?
There is no picture mode in NR616 receiver, only resolution mode as above. I only use Auto or Through.

• Is HDMI Control (RIHD) On or Off (look in Hardware Setup-> HDMI)?
OFF

• Is HDMI THRU On or Off (look in Hardware Setup-> HDMI)?
ON CBL/SAT

• Is Net Standby On or Off ((look in Hardware Setup-> Network)?
OFF

• What is the Incoming and Outgoing video resolution (press the Display Button on the front panel until it shows both… should be something like "1080p/60 -> 1080p/60")

All symptoms happened at maximum resolution of Panasonic HDTV, ie. 1080p/60. All sources are set at this resolution.

NoHoTech

Back to top Go down

Problems with Firmware 1130-9106-0300 for TX-NR616 or TX-NR515 Empty Re: Problems with Firmware 1130-9106-0300 for TX-NR616 or TX-NR515

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:52 pm

Thank you for this information. Will have this data reveiewed by the appropriates representatives and departments for further evaluation. Will correspond with new information as made available.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down