Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently

+7
verul
Altmann
dsnetcna
DenvrGuy
garykmcd
OnkyoUSA
abreneman
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently - Page 2 Empty Sent mine in for warranty work

Post  marcustremonti Tue May 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Well I just bent over to Onkyo and sent my NR509 to a service center......cost me $38.12 to ship a unit that should never have made it to Onkyo's product line. Thanks Onkyo for your WONDERFUL customer service Mad (please note the sarcasm as I'm not confident in your social skills). In all I had my unit for all of 2 months and in that time my USB port doesn't work, my Blu-Ray player cuts out intermittently, white lines appear during video playback at random and my Sub Preout no longer sends sound to my Subwoofer.........brilliant! No firmware update in almost 5 months!!!!! You guys are absolutely ridiculous! Please use my unit as a guinea pig AT YOUR COST as you always claim you are trying to repeat the errors in your labs.

What I'm expecting now is the service technicians to find no fault in the hardware and send it back to me unfixed..........then that would lead to a refund via Better Business Bureau as you didn't take care of your end of the bargain(though you already haven't seeing as how you are still allowing people to buy your crap).

marcustremonti

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently - Page 2 Empty Any updates?

Post  verul Wed May 09, 2012 1:01 am

Onkyo, I'd love to know whether you've made any progress. It's been a couple months since I purchased my items so I'm going to have to fight the store I purchased them from if I'm to make any exchanges. The loss of picture is happening far more with BluRay than with DVD, and makes BluRay completely unwatchable.

verul

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently - Page 2 Empty Re: NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed May 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi forum users,

The engineers will need the following information:

Onkyo/Integra product:

Model #
Serial #
Firmware version #

Your setup information:

The complete setup/devices used makes model #’s, cables used and their length; if using HDMI are they high-speed and who makes the cable. Also do you know the gauge of the cable used?
Firmware version # of all devices if possible?

Conditions under which your issue occurs:

Does this happen in cold conditions (first time turn on)?
Does this happen after a long time while playing?
If neither of the above then what are the conditions this is happening under?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently - Page 2 Empty Re: NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently

Post  dsnetcna Wed May 09, 2012 4:46 pm

Guys... Here is the emails I have been sending back to Onkyo in regards to the issue. Of course, they can't duplicate the problem.

Onkyo Response - I have received the details of your complaint to the BBB from my manager. I would like to assist you, however I need some more information regarding your setup. Please answer the following questions at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Make and model number of all your devices that run through the AVR including your TV make and model number.
An example on what devices this occurs on.
An example on what channel, specific movie, etc. that this occurs on.
An example of a particular listening mode that this occurs on.
Any other details that you can provide are appreciated.

My Response - I have three devices that include a HTPC (PC), Xbox360, and a WD TV Live. The problem is the video will go out for a few seconds while the audio continues to play. This occurs about every 5 - 10 minutes. If I remove the HDMI cables from the receiver and connect them directly to the TV it works fine. As for audio, it doesn't matter. It happens with both HDMI plugged up and/or with an optical cable connected. What really bothers me is YOUR technical support guy said it was a known problem and it's because the receiver cannot handle the 1080p transfer from the devices. So doing a RMA or Repair is out of the question at this point. You can also see this is an on going problem as well...

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t291-nr509-blu-ray-playback-issues-audio-video-cuts-out-intermittently

Onkyo Response - My apologies that you are having issues with your receiver. Do you remember who you spoke to that advised you it was a "known problem" because I have searched all our databases and cannot locate this as an issue? We do notify our customers on our website of issues, but the TX-NR509 isn't on that list. In any case, I would like to research this for you further. Also, may I have the make and model number of your TV?

My Response - No, I'm sorry I don't know his name. The make/model is LG 59PV450.

Onkyo Response - Thank you for the information. I will get back to you soon.

My Response - (11 Days after) Any updates?

Onkyo Response - My apologies for the delay. We've been testing our TX-NR509 with our XBOX-360 and PC for a week now and have not been able to duplicate the issue. We do not have WD TV Live or a LG TV. We tested with our Samsung TV. Just to recap, you said it happens on all devices, correct? Is there any other information you can think of that may help us figure this out for you? Also, I know this may not be possible, but do you have another TV you can try the unit on?

My Response - Yes, it happens on all devices. I can even take a video and send it to you if you need me to. Again, others seem to have been able to duplicate the problem. Sorry, this is the only TV I can use this receiver on. https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t291p15-nr509-blu-ray-playback-issues-audio-video-cuts-out-intermittently

So there you have it. Doesn't look like a fix is insight. Keep your fingers crossed.

dsnetcna

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently - Page 2 Empty Specs

Post  marcustremonti Wed May 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Onkyo/Integra product:

Model # TX-NR509
Serial # 717R047289
Firmware version # 1071-1000-0000-0103 (Dec. 16 2011)

Your setup information:
Samsung LN32D450 TV
Using 6.6ft Monster HDMI High Speed 1.3 cables 28AWG
Sylvania NB500SL9 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player Firmware version: 1.109

Conditions under which your issue occurs:

Does this happen in cold conditions (first time turn on)? Happens anytime, whether in the beginning of a movie or end....ALL THE TIME.

Does this happen after a long time while playing? Read the Above

marcustremonti

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently - Page 2 Empty Here's my info

Post  tommucha Wed May 09, 2012 11:28 pm

Video links at the bottom. Sorry if this is poorly written, rushed through it.

TX-NR509
FW Version 1071100000000103
SN: 0999DD51Z4601552Q

Roku2 XS - FW 4.6 build 240 (latest)
Connected via 3ft HDMI (1.3?) cable
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M87F0I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

Panasonic Vierra 50" plasma - TC-P50G20 FW 3.720 (latest)
Connected via 6ft HDMI BlueRigger brand (version 1.3 I think)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00316263Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I also have a panasonic blu ray player that does not exhibit any of the issues. I have swapped around all 3 cables and the issues follow the device, not the cable. Plugging the Roku2 directly into the TV shows no issues. Tried multiple HDMI input ports on receiver and have the same issue.
Set the Roku2 to multiple resolutions and the issue still occurred. Issues can occur when a program is playing, or paused (see videos), HD or standard def. The type of audio does not seem to be a cause, 5.1 or stereo. Problems occur at all times, when unit had sat for over 2 days unused or used all day long. Issues occur randomly, I can not predict them, sometimes they happen multiple times a minute, but there can be breaks of up to 5min.
Besides the examples in the videos, sometimes the audio can just drop out, then come back. Whenever the picture drops out, the audio always goes out, and when picture comes back, audio comes back a short time after.

Video Example:
https://youtu.be/rYSeG4kUZfo - Paused screen from Roku2 XS - HD content w/ 5.1 audio, picture drops out, flickers

https://youtu.be/2MkKAxIKWS4?hd=1 - At title selection screen on Roku2 XS, picture drop out, flickering

https://youtu.be/xlc_vOF4gHI?hd=1 - - Playing Wakling Dead (HD) from Netflix on Roku2 XS, picture/audio drop outs. Audio was very low in this scene, so you didn't hear much in the video

https://youtu.be/SBRKHeaPRZA - -Sometimes the screen will turn green when dropping out. This was a scene from Hawaii 5-0 using Amazon video on the roku2 XS.

tommucha

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu May 10, 2012 3:03 pm

Hi tommucha,

I noticed you're using an HDMI 1.3 cable. Just as a test can you give the same scenario a try using an HDMI 1.4 high-speed capable cable?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  tommucha Thu May 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Will do. I have another TV with a 1.4 cable that I'll snag for some testing.

EDIT - while swapping out the cable I noticed the one I was using was a 1.4 cable. Swapped it out anyways since the cable is a different branch.

Last edited by tommucha on Thu May 10, 2012 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)

tommucha

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu May 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi tommucha,

Let me know how it turns out.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently - Page 2 Empty I'm out

Post  verul Thu May 10, 2012 11:17 pm

Sorry guys but I returned my Onkyo for a competing product. Unfortunate because I've been a long time Onkyo fan but I couldn't wait any longer and end up outside of my return period with the store that I purchased it from.

Hope it all works out for the rest of you.

verul

Back to top Go down

Post  marcustremonti Fri May 11, 2012 1:33 am

verul wrote:Sorry guys but I returned my Onkyo for a competing product. Unfortunate because I've been a long time Onkyo fan but I couldn't wait any longer and end up outside of my return period with the store that I purchased it from.

Wise choice...........I wish my problems started before my return period was up or that I found this forum before purchase. Onkyo's not what it used to be. No

marcustremonti

Back to top Go down

Post  verul Sun May 13, 2012 9:38 pm

marcustremonti wrote:
verul wrote:Sorry guys but I returned my Onkyo for a competing product. Unfortunate because I've been a long time Onkyo fan but I couldn't wait any longer and end up outside of my return period with the store that I purchased it from.

Wise choice...........I wish my problems started before my return period was up or that I found this forum before purchase. Onkyo's not what it used to be. No

I guess I should be helpful to this thread rather than just opt out. Before I made my final decision I tried a few things as well as all the previous points of advice (new cables, different inputs, reset, firmware on all devices, etc etc etc):

a) I went to my father's house, borrowed his Panasonic BD210 Blu Ray player (I had a BD115) and tried it on my Onkyo 509. SAME problem.
b) I went to my brother-in-laws and borrowed his Toshiba Blu Ray player and the problem went away.
I tried the same 3 discs during these tests - All Blu Ray - Star Wars: A New Hope, Wonders of the Solar System, David Attenborough: Planet Earth Special Edition

After that I returned my Onkyo because a good deal on an outgoing model Marantz sr5005 (was $999, got it for $549 which imo is a steal) came up at the store I purchased the Onkyo from. No longer having the problem with my Panasonic BD player.

I did this because I wanted to continue having a Panasonic Blu Ray + Panasonic TV so that it would eliminate one remote control. For anyone else in this situation who has the option to return or exchange at their store of purchase, using a different BD player would be a suitable solution.

verul

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently - Page 2 Empty NR509 fixed

Post  marcustremonti Sat May 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Well here's a little update on the audio/video cutting out on my receiver. I sent my receiver in for warranty repair as I couldn't take it back because it was passed the return date. I forked over $40 to ship it my closest Warranty Service Provider which was ABL Electronic Service (ablserv.com) to fix my problems...........I didn't have much confidence when sending it in as Onkyo has given me a bad taste so I don't trust their warranty partnerships either. I was completely wrong (because they aren't affiliated with Onkyo). Here were the problems I was having with my 3 MONTH OLD receiver:

All HDMI inputs/outputs were causing my video and audio to randomly shut off for about 5 sec. at a time with no rhyme or reason.

Subwoofer Preout stopped working and sending audio to my subwoofer.

USB input would randomly stop working and my network adapter and all iPods wouldn't connect for days on end.

My receiver was gone for a total of 2 weeks (including shipping there and shipping back). When I got it back I immediately read the work order and it said that it had to fix multiple " cold and open solders" on the HDMI board, Sub Preout input and USB input connection. I plugged everything up and it works better than it did when I got it from Onkyo!

In conclusion, Onkyo needs to fix their poor Quality Control as well as their sloppy work on soldering. Onkyo also needs to pay for THEIR units to be shipped back as this is their fault. I hope Onkyo is reading this and taking notes if they want to be back in the AVR game. Honestly, if I would have been able to return my unit before the 60 days was up or whatever, I would have. I would've gone with a Denon or some other AVR. I just hope I don't have any other problems before my 1 year warranty is up!

Onkyo, you need to fix this and your reputation..........it's just pure laziness.

Contact ABL Electronic Service to find out what all they had to fix on your unit.

marcustremonti

Back to top Go down

Post  whited3 Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:17 am

I have a Panasonic DMR-BWT800 outputting to an Onkyo TX-NR509 AV receiver via the Panasonic HDMI Sub socket. The TV is an LG55LW9500. Same deal with the audio and video dropping out. Cycling the power usually settles it down for that viewing but it does it every time we watch a DVD.

whited3

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently - Page 2 Empty NR590 -- Irresponsible "response" --

Post  JNagarya Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:40 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi forum users,

We would need to know if this issue is happening on a certain movie and if so which one specifically and at what times in those movies does this appear to happen at? This will further our effort to narrow down the problem. Thank you.

That is irresponsible nonsense. And the usual effort to blame someone or something else rather than deal with the issue.

It is simply not likely that the several users having this problem are watching the same movie.

It's peculiar: there are many complaining about a specific Onkyo product -- DX-C390 -- elsewhere on the web, including Amazon and Crutchfield, but there is only one thread about that unit, and the problem with that unit, on Onkyo's website. And nothing in that thread from Onkyo acknowledges the problem, let alone offers potential solutions.

And I'm coming to the conclusion that I am not the only customer subjected to either lame "responses," or no response at all.

JNagarya

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently - Page 2 Empty Onkyo does not acknowledge that there's a problem --

Post  JNagarya Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:46 pm

dsnetcna wrote:Altmann, I didn't mean to sound rude to you. I appoligize. I'm glad at least onkyo acknowledges their is a problem. Also, its not like were asking for a higher end receiver to be giving to us. I just want one that works like its advertised to do.

Onkyo doesn't acknowlege there's a problem. They are simply saying that they are looking into the "issue". "Problem" is not spelled "i-s-s-u-e".

JNagarya

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2