Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR515 composite converter

2 posters

Go down

TX-NR515 composite converter Empty TX-NR515 composite converter

Post  jacko2401 Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:16 am

Hi

I have checked round these forums and the TX-NR515 manual and found that I also succumned with the XBOX360 composite video resolution issue to get it into a pure HD quality video. Before I bought the TX-NR515 I used to put the composite XBOX360 cables directly into the TV and it would happilly display as 1080p from the XBOX360. Part of my reason for purchasing the TX-NR515 was to have sound coming out of the audio speakers rather than the TV speakers. I then realise I need to set the XBOX to 480i and upscale. I get the audio speakers working the quality is so much poorer than working in 1080p as previous.

To get around this I bought a composite to HDMI converter. I plugged the composite cables into the converter and then the HDMI lead from the converter to the HDMI slot on the back of the TX-NR515, changed the settings on the XBOX360, tested it and just got a blue screen. I then tried putting the composite to HDMI converter to the TV to see if it was a faulty composite converter and it worked fine.

Here is the converter that I bought is "Neet® - Component (YPbPr) to HDMI Converter - plus Stereo R/L Audio - Supports 1080p Full HD". Search fo rit on Amazon as I cannot post links yet due to my new member status.

It seems as though the TX-NR515 still does not work with a composite converter or at least the one I bought. Can anyone tell me whether the converter I bought is completely useless when the HDMII cable is put into the Game HDMI slot due to the limitations of the Onkyo?

Thanks
Steve

jacko2401

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 composite converter Empty WORKAROUND

Post  jacko2401 Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:28 pm

Well, the component converter is currently useless to me but I have been able to get it to work in a strange sort of way. Not sure if this is the easiest way to connect Xbox 360 Component cables (for the original xbox 360) but if anyone is in the same scenario then please let me know if you have tried this or have a better way. By using the component cables from the Xbox 360 going into the Onkyo, this is the only way I have found I can get true 1080p video (rather than upscaled from 486i input as per the user manual) as well as audio going through the audio speakers (rather than TV speakers)

Here we go....
1. Bought component cables (red/blue/green) as they were only a few pounds.
2. Connected the XBox component cables (red/green/blue) to component in on the Onkyo
3. Connected xbox component audio cables (red/white) to the audio in of the game audio connections on the Onkyo
4. Connected one end of the component cables (red/ble/green) I bought from the component out of the Onkyo to the component in on the back of the TV.
5. Changed small switch on the XBox cables to HDTV

On the setup screen of the Onkyo...
1. Changed the monitor out setting to "Both" instead of just "main".
2. Changed the HDMI input for Game set to -----
3. Changed the Component video input for Game to IN 1

On the Xbox
1. Set the display settings to 1080p

So when I want to use the XBox 360....
1. Set the TV to use the component input instead of HDMI that is linked to the Onkyo
2. Set the Onkyo to use Game input

When I want to go back to any other setting
1. Change the input of the TV back to the correct HDMI source
2. Change the Onkyo display input to whatever I want to watch (e.g. CBL/SAT to watch Virgin TV)

jacko2401

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 composite converter Empty Re: TX-NR515 composite converter

Post  OnkyoUSA Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:41 pm

PLEASE NOTE: THIS FORUM SITE WILL BE DEACTIVATED AND WILL PREVENT YOU FROM POSTING MESSAGES. WE ADVISE YOU TO REGISTER ONTO OUR NEW FORUM SITE: http://forums.onkyousa.com/ WITH YOUR EMAIL, MODEL AND SERIAL NUMBER OF YOUR RECEIVER. AS WE WILL NO LONGER REVIEW THIS FORUM EFFECTIVE TODAY.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 composite converter Empty Re: TX-NR515 composite converter

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down