Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Audyssey question

4 posters

Go down

Audyssey question Empty Audyssey question

Post  Hastor Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:40 pm

I set up my TX-NR717 using the full Audyssey calibration with 3 positions. While it accurately determined the distance of my speakers, it set my fron L/R and rear L/R both to -5.0db. The distance however sees that fronts are 9 feet away and rears are only 5. They are all 4 identical speakers. The rears seem to drown out the fronts a bit when watching. The center/vocals also seem low. Should I just manually adjust them from this point, or does Audyssey know something I don't?

Also, just what does the speaker distance serting affect? Does it change the db level in addition to the level, or does it just affect latency?

Hastor

Back to top Go down

Audyssey question Empty Audyssey

Post  WizzBang Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:54 pm

I believe that the calibration adjusts both volume and latency. After calibration, you can adjust the latency using the speaker distance settings. The db as you already know is adjusted separately.

WizzBang

Back to top Go down

Audyssey question Empty Re: Audyssey question

Post  Hastor Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:16 pm

Latency is fine as it set my spaker distances perfectly. I just dont understand why it set the speakers that are 4 feet closer to the sambe db as the others. Surrounds always seem much louder than the fronts, making it harder to hear the fronts. Sonds better if i lower the db on the rears, but wondering why audyssey didnt do that to begin with.

Hastor

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:36 am

While I think the auto cal systems available from nearly any avr manufacturer help, there is nothing wrong with using your ears and preferences as well.

Verification of the sound pressure level is a snap with a spl meter.

Distance requires a tape.

All that being said, making a few tweaks to set it to your tastes is not against the rules.

Why the audessey might err could be from how the mike is actually set up. For clients and my own gear I do use a tripod. Even moving the furniture to set up can affect the outcome in certain rooms although.

So I reiterate. Use audessey and confirm with a meter and your ears.

Doug k

d6500k

http://www.6500kcalibrations.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hastor Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:17 am

That is basically what I have done. I did use a tripod, set it on the couch in the center with mic at about ear level, then 1 meter to the right and left. I turned the surrounds down a good bit and the center up a tad, sonds good now!

Hastor

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Excellent!

Now relax and watch a great film.

All the best and Merry Christmas!

Doug k

d6500k

http://www.6500kcalibrations.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Deuce2119 Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:31 pm

After running the correction I changed the distance and level settings to whatever suited me.

In my opinion the great thing about Audyssey is not the distance and level calibration but the room-acoustic correction. Before I ran the correction the system was weak and flat. After, it was very much louder and much richer. I'm amazed at how much difference it made, and how much better and louder it sounds.

Changing the distance and level settings afterward had no effect on the gains of acoustic correction... in my experience, at least.

Deuce2119

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down