Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR717 Upscaling only certain inputs

2 posters

Go down

TX-NR717 Upscaling only certain inputs Empty TX-NR717 Upscaling only certain inputs

Post  Hastor Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:39 pm

With the TX-NR717, is it possible to only apply upscaling to certain sources, while treating others as they would be if HDMI is set to "through"?

I had to set HDMI to "through" as there was a slight but noticeable lag when playing games. For example if output was set to 1080p, and I was playing a 720p game on PS3, there was a slight lag due to the video processing.

While I want to bypass this for games, I'd still like to upscale my DVD player, laserdisc player, and other non-gaming devices, as lag would be less of an issue there as long as the A/V can be synced. I only see one universal option for this, for the HDMI output. This seems like it should be available as a per-input option, so that upscaling can be applied only where wanted. As it is, I can't take advantage of any of the video processing features without adding lag to my gaming. How does the "auto" setting work, by the way? Does it just output at 1080p since that is my highest supported resolution?

Hastor

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 Upscaling only certain inputs Empty Re: TX-NR717 Upscaling only certain inputs

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Question: is 1080p/24 enabled on the PS3? If so, try disabling this option to determine if this resolves your issue. As the receiver also has this feature and we noticed both devices having this feature enabled produces a slight lag in video processing when using the AUTO or any specified video resolution setting found in INPUT/OUTPUT ASSIGN>MONITOR OUT> RESOLUTION. If you are still experiencing the same issue , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 Upscaling only certain inputs Empty Re: TX-NR717 Upscaling only certain inputs

Post  Hastor Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:39 pm

It is only using 1080p/24 when playing video, and I need it to do that, as I want to watch Blu-rays in 1080p/24. Also, I'm happier with my TV's upscaling of the 720p games vs the TX-NR717's upscaling. For now, I'm just leaving all the video on through/direct, and I haven't seen any issues yet. I'll just let the TV handle it, as that seems to be my best option. Mainly I want the receiver to handle audio and touch the video as little as possible. I was thinking it may be good for DVD upscaling, but I prefer to let the TV or DVD player do it after testing different settings. So just a change of heart here, but I'm happy with the end result.

My only concern now is that I've seen one user post that they have skipping issues when playing DTS-HD blu-rays. Hopefully this won't affect me while using through/direct for HDMI when playing a 1080p/24 DTS-HD Blu-ray. Unfortunately I can't test that yet, as my Blu-ray player is the old fat PS3, and converts all audio to PCM first. I do plan on getting a standalone blu-ray player, so I hope this isn't an issue down the road.

Hastor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down