Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A/V RECEIVER VIDEO QUESTION

+2
OnkyoUSA
DADEO
6 posters

Go down

A/V RECEIVER VIDEO QUESTION Empty A/V RECEIVER VIDEO QUESTION

Post  DADEO Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:54 pm

I hope this isn't to much of a old guy question, but here it goes. If I spend a bunch of money on a fancy new HD TV and the picture is so great, why do I then want to then run the video through a A/V Receiver? I see the point of the audio, but if, as the salesman tells me, a new TV produces such a great picture, what is the advantage of running the video through the receiver? Thank you.

DADEO

Back to top Go down

A/V RECEIVER VIDEO QUESTION Empty Re: A/V RECEIVER VIDEO QUESTION

Post  DADEO Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:18 pm

....and your opinions are.....?

DADEO

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:30 pm

What is the model of the receiver in question? I ask because based on the video chipset and HDMI board features of the reciever (newer receivers have INSTAPREVUE and 4k video resolution support)- this may enhance the vido quality of the source device. If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LennyHO Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Dadeo, I am an old guy too and I have also wondered about this. I normally connect the hdmi cables from the source (Blu-Ray player, cable box, etc.) directly to the TV (for the video) and then connect a digital optical cable from the TV to the A/V receiver (for the sound). If you are not trying to upconvert the video signal, say 480i to 1080p, then I don't see any advantage in going through the A/V receiver for the video.

LennyHO

Back to top Go down

Post  DADEO Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:07 am

LennyHO, thanks for the reply. I totally agree with what your saying. If I have a good 1080 tv and a Blu-Ray player I guess I just don't understand the point of running the video through these receivers. I'm looking at TVs and the salesmen go on and on about how great the picture is. So if the pictures are so great, why run them through these receivers? What is it that's missing that makes folks want to run their super duper TVs through these receivers? If the forum guy or anyone else is reading this, could you suggest a Onkyo receiver for 5.1 audio that doesn't mess with the video? Thank you.

DADEO

Back to top Go down

Post  Deuce2119 Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't know about Lenny's setup... I wonder how he changes input sources to his TV. How would you switch from BluRay to Sat box?

The receiver is a hub. All of your components go through the receiver and it handles switching between input sources, as well as video and audio upscaling, and other features that some people use but I don't, like sending your video signal to multiple monitors, etc. It's the modern way of maximizing the latest A/V technology. Simplicity and convenience. Hook everything into the AVR, then one cable to the TV, and the AVR does everything you want and more.

Why would you NOT want to do it that way??? I'm also an old guy and I like to stay up to date with technology...

Deuce2119

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:05 pm

This was made an option for those to simplify use of audio cables, such as digital optical/ digital coaxial, or RCA COMPOSITE audio cables. Also, many newer audio formats are better supported and transmitted via HDMI cables for 7.1 surround sound playback. For instance, DTS-MA HD and DOLBY TRUE HD are some audio formats not available via optical cables. Many of mid- to upper model line of receivers; such as the TX-NR 515 and higher can be reconfigured to bypass and disable the video processor.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyByNgt Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Onkyo Moderator,

I have been watching this topic about the video thru the receiver. You state in the bottom of your reply that in the 515's and up you can disable this function. Can you explain to me how to do it? I have a TX-NR717 which is working wonderful cheers The Onkyo SOUND is a KILLER on this receiver!! Running full 7.1 with front highs. (neighbor called the other night we were watching Resident Evil Afterlife and said their house was a rocking.. then came over and watched the rest with us. LOVED THE TX-NR717 btw.. he is looking into buying one now so we can blow out the neighbors lol) But would like to see the difference with this option if you would not mind explaining.

btw, I have a LG 52" 3-D TV. 2012 model if this helps.

Thanks you. Will be awaiting reply.

FlyByNgt 11-24-12
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

Post  DADEO Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:48 pm

Duece, you asked "I don't know about Lenny's setup... I wonder how he changes input sources to his TV. How would you switch from BluRay to Sat box?"

Every tv that has more than 1 input has this function on the remote that lets you switch the inputs. Lennys digital optical connection from tv to receiver is constant, it stays the same, no need for that to switch to anything else. I like it, if your happy with your tvs picture and you don't need any video upscaling, no need to run it through the av/r.

DADEO

Back to top Go down

Post  Deuce2119 Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:17 am

DADEO, I know, but my Samsung 55" LED has only 2 HDMI ins. My 515 has 8. I don't need that many but obviously the TV is limited.

Also, as was pointed out digital audio cables can't handle the true HD audio formats. And that's really the only reason I bought a new receiver, to get the new HD audio formats. If not for that I would've just kept using my old Dolby ProLogic receiver...

Deuce2119

Back to top Go down

A/V RECEIVER VIDEO QUESTION Empty Benefits for me...

Post  keiski Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:29 am

My A/V equipment is across the room from my display. I connect everything to the receiver and then only had to fish one hdmi cable over to my display. Picture in picture options with most of the receivers that handle multiple inputs is pretty neat. I dont really care about overall picture quality as long as it doesnt look like i took my glasses off.

keiski

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi,

Running your video via the receiver allows you to control all of your video components via the receiver as a central hub. You do not have to run the video via the receiver but it does make it easier to switch via sources as oppoesed to switching the input on the receiver. To use or not to use the receiver for audio is truly at the owners discretion, it is a useable option.

Thanks,
Forum Modarator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DADEO Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Mr. Forum Modarator, your latest comment has me wondering. "You do not have to run the video via the receiver but it does make it easier to switch via sources as oppoesed to switching the input on the receiver."
You have a good point for using the receiver, but with a TV that has a picture your satisfied with and if your TV has enough inputs, it's just a matter of a click or two on a TV remote to go from input to input.
"To use or not to use the receiver for audio is truly at the owners discretion, it is a useable option."
I feel the receivers priority is its audio, much more than a " useable option."
Just my 2 cents, thanks for the discussion. I like hearing different opinions.

If I could ask you another question, When for example a TXNR 616 is sent in for repair, let's say the hdmi board is bad, do you replace it or is the same board repaired? If it's replaced, what is it replaced with, is it replaced with a new same kind of board or is it replaced with a different or newer or updated board? Just curious, thank you.

DADEO

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:42 pm

In regards to your question; it honestly depends on the assessment of the service center and any noticable or functional flaws of the HDMI component if it'll require total replacement or modification. Also, based on engineer specifications and recommended advancements- the HDMI boards can be modified during manufacturing. Your local or regional authorized Onkyo service center can provide more information on the modifications made or modifications of the newer HDMI board over the stock component.

If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyByNgt Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:52 pm

FlyByNgt wrote:Onkyo Moderator,

I have been watching this topic about the video thru the receiver. You state in the bottom of your reply that in the 515's and up you can disable this function. Can you explain to me how to do it? I have a TX-NR717 which is working wonderful cheers The Onkyo SOUND is a KILLER on this receiver!! Running full 7.1 with front highs. (neighbor called the other night we were watching Resident Evil Afterlife and said their house was a rocking.. then came over and watched the rest with us. LOVED THE TX-NR717 btw.. he is looking into buying one now so we can blow out the neighbors lol) But would like to see the difference with this option if you would not mind explaining.

FlyByNgt 11-24-12

Moderator, can you please answer the question about disabling the color function per my previous post qouted above. Thank you for your help and assistance.

FlyByNgt 11-27-12 10:52am EST
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

Post  DADEO Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:47 pm

Mr. Moderator, You stated "Your local or regional authorized Onkyo service center can provide more information on the modifications made or modifications of the newer HDMI board over the stock component."

My question is, are these new HDMI boards being used now and being put into the new units being assembled at the factory? Thank you.

DADEO

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:36 pm

FlyByNgt wrote:
FlyByNgt wrote:Onkyo Moderator,

FlyByNgt 11-24-12

As previously suggest to you before; please contact our Product Support department at (800) 229-1687 for this information. As it is proprietary and it can't be published via forum- we will not released this information via public forum. If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator

Moderator, can you please answer the question about disabling the color function per my previous post qouted above. Thank you for your help and assistance.

FlyByNgt 11-27-12 10:52am EST
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:40 pm

DADEO wrote:Mr. Moderator, You stated "Your local or regional authorized Onkyo service center can provide more information on the modifications made or modifications of the newer HDMI board over the stock component."

My question is, are these new HDMI boards being used now and being put into the new units being assembled at the factory? Thank you.

Hello Dadeo;

The HDMI boards are NOT assemblied in the service centers but in the manufacturing facotries overseas, they are shipped from our NJ facility to the authorized service centers.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyByNgt Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Moderator,

Thank you. I received a e mail this evening from Onkyo support with the info.

All I requested was answers to my posts. The answer you gave me tonight of:
"As it is proprietary and it can't be published via forum- we will not released this information via public forum"
is well understood. All you had to do was state that to me and I would not have asked that question again.

As I stated in my post. I have a TX-NR717 which is working wonderful The Onkyo SOUND is a KILLER on this receiver!! Running full 7.1 with front highs. (neighbor called the other night we were watching Resident Evil Afterlife and said their house was a rocking.. then came over and watched the rest with us. LOVED THE TX-NR717 btw.. he is looking into buying one now so we can blow out the neighbors lol) FYI. He did purchase a TX-NR717 after hearing my setup. cheers

Thank you for your response. Can you respond to my other post about the forum moving this Friday? All I am asking is if we have to back up our data and how to do it. There is no backup or email option in the messages tab to forward, save, etc. Will it all be transfered over to the new board. Just now looking thru the latest posts, again I found very useful information. I hope this is all going to be transferred to the new Onkyo Forums. There is such a wealth of information on these forums it would be a travesty to all Onkyo customers or potential customers if it was all lost in the transfer. Is there a way to back up the board for a user? It seems I am not the only one with this concern.

Again, thank you for your reply. Have a nice evening. FlyByNgt 11-27-12
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:44 pm

FlyByNgt wrote:Moderator,

Thank you. I received a e mail this evening from Onkyo support with the info.

All I requested was answers to my posts. The answer you gave me tonight of:
"As it is proprietary and it can't be published via forum- we will not released this information via public forum"
is well understood. All you had to do was state that to me and I would not have asked that question again.

As I stated in my post. I have a TX-NR717 which is working wonderful The Onkyo SOUND is a KILLER on this receiver!! Running full 7.1 with front highs. (neighbor called the other night we were watching Resident Evil Afterlife and said their house was a rocking.. then came over and watched the rest with us. LOVED THE TX-NR717 btw.. he is looking into buying one now so we can blow out the neighbors lol) FYI. He did purchase a TX-NR717 after hearing my setup. cheers

Thank you for your response. Can you respond to my other post about the forum moving this Friday? All I am asking is if we have to back up our data and how to do it. There is no backup or email option in the messages tab to forward, save, etc. Will it all be transfered over to the new board. Just now looking thru the latest posts, again I found very useful information. I hope this is all going to be transferred to the new Onkyo Forums. There is such a wealth of information on these forums it would be a travesty to all Onkyo customers or potential customers if it was all lost in the transfer. Is there a way to back up the board for a user? It seems I am not the only one with this concern.

Again, thank you for your reply. Have a nice evening. FlyByNgt 11-27-12

We are currently still in negotiation and testing of the new forum and will release more information shortly. On top of maintaining this forum and testing the other forum; we are trying to ensure a seamless transition.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyByNgt Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Moderator,

Thank you for the reply. Only question I have. Is there anyway to back up my posts, PM's, etc. There is no action to do this.

I hope these boards stay intact once moved.. I have found so much information on here that has helped me a great deal.

Thank you once again.

Have a good evening. FlyByNgt 11-28-12

btw, did you read about my neighbor? It was so funny. He did order the TX-NR717. Should be here by end of the week for him. My speakers are better! lol Razz
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

Post  DADEO Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:43 pm

FlyByNgt, he hasn't mentioned the new speakers yet? You know they ordered them and I hate to tell you this, but theirs are......well you'll see. You might be shopping again soon.

DADEO

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyByNgt Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:14 am

DADEO wrote: FlyByNgt, he hasn't mentioned the new speakers yet? You know they ordered them and I hate to tell you this, but theirs are......well you'll see. You might be shopping again soon.

Lol, I love it. I don't care what he buys, but will help. He is AV virgin. As long as he and his wife enjoy, thats the most important part. Yeah, your right... he might blow my doors in. What a Face Ha ha ha!

Dadeo, Have a good night. Thanks for the laugh or warning.

Ciao, FlyByNgt 11-28-12
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down