Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#: Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems)

2 posters

Go down

My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#:  Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems) Empty My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#: Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems)

Post  megabyzus Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:34 am

UPDATE 1:

I'm going to attempt to add information in a 'blog'-like way to convey my own experience with this particular update version (feedback and corrections appreciated) for my TX-NR616. I want to make sure there is information for those in the same quandary as me wondering whether they should attempt an update considering the poor experience others have had.

First some quick background: The update (per Onkyo) fixes HDMI pass through problems due to putting the amp in Network Standby Enabled mode and it fixes inability to power on the amp with a remote.

I unboxed my unit today (sitting around for at least a month waiting for other items) and went through the instructions as was documented in the particular firmware version from the Onkyo website support and download section.

The update 'COMPLETED!' successfully in TWO waves as was advertised (the second wave was manually initiated by me once the first wave was complete and after the amp was switched off then on by me). I used a direct ETHERNET connection from my router (instructions recommend USB). The amp was connected via MAIN HDMI OUT to my HDTV. I plugged the amp into power after these two connections. Other than those, no speakers, no other devices, NO INITIAL SET UP. Nothing.

I have not done OR ATTACHED anything to this device other than the HDTV, Ethernet cable, and power cord. As of now I am able to power the device on and off without a problem with firmware 1110-8106-0300 installed.

What is significant is that the firmware update(s) are *seemingly* successful as they both indicated 'COMPLETED!'. This is a good sign for me considering the unfortunate experiences to the contrary others have had. However, again I have not tested HDMI pass-through and have not connected anything to the amp. I will do this over the next few days and update everyone.

I want to emphasize and repeat, at this stage, the only real thing I can say is the firmware install completed successfully and my machine is able to be powered on and off with remote and the on screen menus appear on my HDTV and they *seem* functional. I cannot confirm whether the fixes have indeed been applied properly or much more beyond that. I will update over the next few days.

Last edited by megabyzus on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:19 am; edited 3 times in total

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#:  Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems) Empty Re: My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#: Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems)

Post  mjampolsky Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:27 am

does the on-screen menu work?

mjampolsky

Back to top Go down

My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#:  Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems) Empty Re: My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#: Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems)

Post  megabyzus Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:44 am

mjampolsky wrote:does the on-screen menu work?

Yes. Currently when I power the unit back on via remote it goes through about 10 seconds of 'Initializing...Net' or something like that and shows the internet streaming sources menu. I can go the main menu from there. I'm not sure if this is normal behavior but, again, I have not gone through any initial set up. Before the firmware update, however, the items on the main menu were blanked out for a few seconds and then eventually come alive. I assume the delay was due to the unit finding it's internet bearings.

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

Post  mjampolsky Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:38 pm

sounds like you're good

mjampolsky

Back to top Go down

My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#:  Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems) Empty Update 2: Questions for Onkyo and others.

Post  megabyzus Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:01 pm

Update 2 (questions to ONKYO and experts included in BOLD):

Summary of Update 1: In the previous step, I only connected the Ethernet and the HDTV to the NR616: Ethernet-->616--(via HDMI OUT MAIN)-->HDTV. I updated to firmware 8106-0300 via the ethernet connection and the update completed. Main on screen menus appear to work. I did not go through any initial set up. I do not have any speakers connected. End of Update 1.

Today I took a small extra step. I connected my Time Warner cable box to the cab/sat HDMI input in (HDMI 2 in the back of the receiver) and the HDMI main out of the receiver to my HDTV. SO now I have TWO inputs into the 616: Ethernet and cable. I continue to have ONE output via HDMI MAIN OUT to my HDTV. I do not have any other speakers connected and my HDTV continues to be my only output device of any form.

Using the pertinent remotes, I successfully switched the three devices on in order of HDTV, cable box, 616 receiver (note to self: Reading through various sources please keep in mind there may be a proper CEC sequence which if not adhered to may result in dropped HDMI pass-throughs. This may not have anything to do with current HDMI pass through problems experienced by 616 owners). After the all three devices were powered on I observed:

1. The remote control is indeed able to power my 616 on. This continues to indicate one of the two fixes included in the latest firmware update appears to work.
2. Video is properly output to the HDTV.
3. However, there is NO AUDIO from the HDTV. QUESTION for ONKYO and others: I understand why this is so but can it be over-ridden? Is there a setting where I can switch this feature on/off? A: I switched off RIHD and set the TV Audio to on and selected HDMI pass through port. Is this a good way of doing it?

I switched the 616 off. The HDTV lost the video now too which means there is no HDMI pass through at this point by default. I switched the 616 on and enabled Network Stand by. I switched the 616 Off. NOW the HDTV has both audio and sound. It appears the unit still requires for Network Standby to be on for HDMI pass through to work. Question for Onkyo and others: Is this supposed to work like this? Please advise. UPDATE: This is not true. I have been able to get pass through with it off as well now.

I was also able to log into my Pandora account. Obviously I couldn't hear anything because audio is being inhibited into my HDTV which is currently my only audio output.

I would like to emphasize that this is only the second time I've accessed my 616. People have experienced problems after a few weeks of usage. I have not touched any esoteric settings either. In the next week I will be connecting speakers, a sub woofer, and Apple TV and will report back. Meanwhile I am waiting for Onkyo to answer these two questions:

1. Since my HDTV is currently my only audio/video output device, why can't I hear sound what setting can I use to get sound when the 616 is on? A: I switched off RIHD and set the TV Audio to on and selected HDMI pass through port. Is this a good way of doing it?
2. When the 616 is off, I am only able to get HDMI pass through when Network Stand by is enabled. Again, I have latest 6/26 8106-0300 firmware. Is this normal? UPDATE: This is not true. I have been able to get pass through with it off as well now.

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#:  Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems) Empty UPDATE 2.5

Post  megabyzus Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:00 pm

UPDATE 2.5:

I have been able to get HDMI pass through without enabling Network Stand by (the unit off of course). Not sure why it wasn't working at first. I'll continue experimenting and adding components over the week to see if I can find any pattern.

Thanks!

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#:  Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems) Empty UPDATE 3

Post  megabyzus Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Summary of Update 2:

- Two inputs into 616: Cable/Sat into HDMI 2. Also Ethernet cable into Ethernet port
- One output from HDMI MAIN OUT to HDTV

Current settings:

- Latest firmware (300)
- RIHD OFF
- HDMI pasS through ON
- Audio TV ON
- Network Stand by OFF (NOTE: Not a good test for latest firmware. Will enable this imminently to test firmware fix.)
(- HDTV CEC is ON)

Update 3:

Although the unit lost pass through once at the very beginning a few days ago during unboxing as I was switching the unit on and off playing with various settings which forced me to un/re/plug the unit, over the past 3 days, however, I have not lost my pass through to HDTV regardless of whether the unit is powered on or off (stand by). I have been able to power the unit on and off successfully using remote as well. However, this is not a good test for the latest firmware (300) that fixed HDMI pass through drops when Network Stand by is ON. ( BTW, I did enable Network Stand by temporarily once or twice and was able to access the unit via the Ipod/Android app. But for practical purposes the Network Standby has been OFF).

Tonight I will enable Network Stand By = ON and let it run for a few days. This will test the latest firmware (300)

Thanks.

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#:  Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems) Empty UPDATE 4

Post  megabyzus Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:50 pm

I enabled Network Stand = ON last night. I also added THIRD and FORTH input devices: Apple TV 3 and VCR/DVD combo (plus previous cab/sat + ethernet). I left the unit on power stand by overnight.

As of this morning HDMI pass through works while unit is in power stand by. As does the new Apple TV input when unit is powered on . This, again, is NOT a definitive test of the 300 (latest) firmware working properly as some people have seen HDMI pass through die and blank screens after a few days to a few weeks. Tonight, in addition to the HDTV, I will add a second output to the AVR: speakers and sub woofer. I'm curious how the sound will work and how I need to adjust settings so the unit does proper audio and video pass though when on stand by but switches audio to speakers when powered on.

So to summarize here are my latest settings:

- Latest firmware (300)
- RIHD OFF
- HDMI pasS through ON
- Audio TV ON
- Network Stand by ON
(- HDTV CEC is ON)

As usual I'll keep everyone updated.

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#:  Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems) Empty UPDATE 5: Day 2-Passthrough still working--successfully added speakers

Post  megabyzus Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:55 pm

UPDATE 5:

Last night was the second night with Network Standby enabled and the HDMI passthrough seems to be still functioning. Although it is way to early to tell.

I also, finally, went ahead and installed my speakers. A sound bar acting as the front L, C, R and a wireless sub-woofer who's wireless hub is connected to one of the 616's sub woofer pre-outs. As you recall I had RIHD off before to enable sound into my HDTV. TO get sound to my speakers I re-enabled RIHD and ran an auto Audyssey setup.

Currently the unit correctly behaves where when it is off/stand by it correctly passes through audio and video to my HDTV. When the unit is powered on, it correctly cuts off HDTV audio and channels it to my speakers.

So to summarize here are my latest functioning settings:

- Latest firmware (300)
- RIHD ON
- Network Stand by ON
(- HDTV CEC is ON)

As a summary I have also successfully exercised the following applications on the unit:

(NOTE: I have an ethernet connection to the 616 via a router)

- Apple TV interaction and Airplay and iTunes and various distributed functionality
- Network Streaming functionality (Pandora only--not others yet)
- Remotely interacting with the unit with both the Android and IpXd apps
- CEC seems to be working (but I haven't tested it comprehensively nor have I set up the remote codes)
- Unit powers on/off with remote control consistently (one of the original problems addressed by firmware updates)
- HDMI audio/video pass through seems to work with Network Standby enabled (only second night. Again, much to early to confirm this)
- Unit successfully swaps speakers and HDTV audio when it is powered on and off.

This mostly concludes what I needed to install for the 616. I have to test the component inputs for my DVD/VCR combo which I will do tonight. Although I have not yet experienced the problems with the latest firmware and HDMI pass through others have, except at the very beginning right after unboxing the unit where I lost pass through and had to un/replug, I must emphasize this test is still very young since some eventually experience problems after a few days or weeks.

As usual I'll keep everyone updated.

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#:  Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems) Empty UPDATE 6: HDMI VIDEO finally crapped out like others

Post  megabyzus Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:06 am

Well, my unit HDMI video finally crapped out. It was WHILE the 616 was on and not after a night or anything like that. It happened when I changed to my cable box source when my cable box was switched off from the perfectly functioning Apple TV source (HDMI 3--STB/DVR). Suddenly blank screen, no menu, except for 'no source' message and audio. None of the sources were working and even my Apple TV source that was working moments before had gone dark with only audio available. Was only able to get everything to work when un/replug. I have not been able to reproduce this and the unit is working fine again.

Will post this to main thread too to get Onkyo's attention and ask about what the recourse is and what is in store to fix this. I am a random purchaser of the 616 and it seems this problem may be with ALL 616s.

I haven't changed from my latest functioning settings:

- Latest firmware (300)
- RIHD ON
- Network Stand by ON
(- HDTV CEC is ON)

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

My Personal Experience NR616 #FAIL#:  Update to firmware 1110-8106-0300 (Fix for remote power on fail and HDMI pass thru problems) Empty UPDATE 7: HDMI pass through fails on average 2-3 times a week...20% FAILURE RATE

Post  megabyzus Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:37 pm

The HDMI pass through fails about 2-3 times a week recoverable by un/replugging. The vast majority of the fails (if not all) have been when the unit has been turned on and being switched to different sources. I don't think I've had a pass through fail over extended stand by (off) but I'm I'm not entirely sure.

Mind you, I am not a high frequency user of the AVR. I use it maybe 15 times a week at most which means the HDMI failure rate is very high at about 20%.

Onkyo, looking forward to your timely update from the engineering department as you mentioned before..

megabyzus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down