Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR809 3D passthrough problem

2 posters

Go down

TX-NR809 3D passthrough problem Empty TX-NR809 3D passthrough problem

Post  supraman Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 pm

I have a PS3 Slim connected via HDMI cable to my TX-NR809 receiver. The Main Out is connected to a Samsung PN64D7000 TV via HDMI. When I play a 3D disc it does not recognize my TV as 3D capable. If I plug the PS3 directly into the TV it detects it as 3D and plays fine. I have the Picture setting for the PS3 input set to "Direct". I have tried several times going through the PS3 set up menus and it does not detect my TV as 3D capable unless I connect it directly to the TV without going through the receiver.

Is there some other setting in the NR809 that I'm missing? I downloaded the latest firmware on the receiver, PS3 and TV.
Any ideas? Rolling Eyes

Thanks

supraman

Back to top Go down

TX-NR809 3D passthrough problem Empty Re: TX-NR809 3D passthrough problem

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi supraman,

This should pass through fine as there are no settings to adjust on the receiver to enable 3-D. I would suggest contacting Sony on your PS3.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  supraman Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:48 pm

I tried connecting my Samsung BD-D6500 Blu-ray player thru the TX-NR809 and got the same result as the PS3. The player could not detect that my display is 3D capable. When I connected the player directly to the TV it detected it was 3D with no problem. Same result as the PS3.

So I don't think the problem is with the PS3 or the Blu-ray player since the common point of failure is through the receiver! I have read in other forums that Onkyo receivers are difficult when using video-passthru, 3D or not. Didn't believe them until now.

I was able to force the Blu-ray player into 3D to recognize my display thru the receiver but I had to set it as 3D->3D, it would not detect it. I was also able to set the PS3 to 3D while it was connected directly to the TV and it saved the settings so it will play a 3D disc. But again I had to force it or trick it into this setting.

So clearly there is some issue with the TX-NR809 when detecting a display's 3D capability. Would you agree? If not how would you explain these results?

supraman

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi supraman,

Since I'm not an engineer I can not respond to the questions you asked on the other hand I do know that there are no settings in the 809 that need to be set for it to pass a 3-D signal only that you need high speed HDMI 1.4 cables. You can either take or send the unit to a service center for further evaluation under the terms of the warranty. Authorized service centers can be found on our main page under support.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR809 3D passthrough problem Empty TX-NR809 3D PASSTHROUGH PROBLEM

Post  supraman Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:39 am

I just purchased and installed New HDMI 1.4 High Speed cables to connect my receiver to the TV and connect my PS3 and Blu-ray player to the receiver. I updated the PS3 and Blu-ray player to the latest firmware. I also updated the receiver to the latest firmware (July 5 2012).

My results are the same. Neither the PS3 or the Blu-ray player (Samsung BD-D6500) can detect that my TV (Samsung PN64D7000) is 3D capable. I have tried switching to different HDMI inputs on the TV and turning the devices on in different order. Same results, can't detect that my TV is 3D capable. If I connect either device directly to the TV on any HDMI input it detects my TV as 3D capable. I also tried to set the inputs to pass-through on stand by, same results.

I'm at a loss for what to do next? Since there are no settings to configure what could the problem be? Am I the ONLY TX-NR809 user with this problem?
HELP! pale

supraman

Back to top Go down

TX-NR809 3D passthrough problem Empty TX-NR809 3D PASSTHROUGH PROBLEM

Post  supraman Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Just figured out what the problem was. Laughing The "Monitor Out" was set to "Both". My TV is connected to "HDMI Out Main" and my projector is connected to "HDMI Out Sub". I changed the setting to "Both(Main)". Now the PS3 and Blu-ray player recognize my TV as 3D capable.

So there ARE settings that affect 3D passthrough depending on your configuration. Hope this helps others that may have a similar problem. sunny

supraman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down