Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on" topic

+13
pickepock
Milinko12
mjhawk
onestop
justincase102
Guindalf
Bandit
johnm
mike_durie
wodysweb
Tary
ben1977
OnkyoUSA
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic - Page 2 Empty Re: TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on" topic

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Hi Guindalf,

I do apologize for bypassing your question. In answer to your question please my new thread titled (515/616 New Firmware update).
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic - Page 2 Empty New firmware (6th of June 2012) didn't solve the problem

Post  ben1977 Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi,

Just to let you know that the new firmware unfortunately still doesn't solve the problem.
I still have to switch my TV after the TX-515 to avoid that it doesn't respond to the ON command ...

I have tried a trick seen on another post : I have activated the network stand-by (a light on the right side is ON when the ampli is in stand by mode).
By doing this, the ampli doesn't keep stuck no matter in which order I switch on the TV and the ampli.

However, it is not a very good solution because I think that I've read somewhere that the ampli consumption in stand by mode is quite high (30W ?)

ben1977

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic - Page 2 Empty Re: TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on" topic

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:25 am

Hi forum users,

We have pulled the recent 2012 firmware update to make further revisions to it based on customer feedback. We expect to re-release it very soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  justincase102 Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:28 am

Manual says 8.3W max depending on what is enabled. I have network standby enabled with all other options listed in the manual disabled. I had the power on issue previous to turning on this feature. Call me lazy but for 8.3w, if it is that much, I'll leave it on so I don't have to get into my component closet and turn on the receiver. Plus, I really like being able to turn on pandora via the mobile apps.

In the following cases, the power consumption in
standby mode may reach up to a maximum of 8.3 W:
– The “HDMI Control(RIHD)” setting is set to
“On”. (Depending on the TV status, the AV
receiver will enter standby mode as usual.)
– The “HDMI Through” setting is set to other than
“Off”.
– The “Network Standby” setting is set to “On”.

Rant time, disregard if you are googling solutions:
What really gets me is that a receiver at its core is supposed to simplify/enhance a home theater setup and the new model year receivers miss both. I buy Onkyo because I trust that Onkyo's R&D, QA, and customer support department have done there respective jobs. Onkyo has in the past so why not recently? Clearly, something has gone wrong lately. I've had the 515 for a month now, and between the constant firmware updates, factory resets, cleared settings etc, I have far exceeded configuration time for this one receiver compared to all other Onkyo's I've owned. Judging by the feedback in this forum, Onkyo's respective departments need to work very hard to restore brand loyalty. I know that the next time I'm in the market for a receiver, I will not default my search to Onkyo. I will consider Onkyo but based on this experience, I will purchase a receiver that is proven.

justincase102

Back to top Go down

Post  ben1977 Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanx for your answer Justin ;-)
I used a Wattmeter to measure the realconsumption : it seems to be equal or lower than 5W

ben1977

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi Forum users,

We have discovered that the following receivers may have a firmware problem causing intermittent operational issues.
TX-NR414, HT-R758 (HT-S6500)
TX-NR515, HT-RC460, HT-R791(HT-S7500), TX-NR616, HT-RC470
TX-NR717
TX-NR818
To resolve these potential issues please update your firmware to the latest version. This firmware version corrects the unexpected instances where a portion of the internal memory may stop working.
If your receiver is connected to your home network you will see the firmware update information on your TV tomorrow (6/8/2012).
You may also download the firmware update from the Onkyo website via USB. The update via USB will also be available on our website tomorrow (6/8/12).
CAUTION
WITH THIS FIRMWARE UPDATE YOUR RECEIVER WILL BE RESET TO FACTORY SETTINGS. PLEASE MAKE NOTE OF YOUR SETTINGS AND PASSWORDS BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH THIS UPDATE.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic - Page 2 Empty 515/616 not turning on receiver

Post  onestop Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:33 am

I have installed 6 616 & 1 515 and after two to three weeks the remote will not turn, we have to manually turn on the the receiver on then it will work for about 5 times the same thing continues to happen, we cant take the product back to our venders AVAD because they have a policy of no returns after 30 days, now we have to get an ra from onkyo send it to our local repair center, only to wait 3 or 4 weeks to hopefully get it fix properly, now what do I tell my customers? they will have no receiver for a month? very frustrated, we have temporary program our urc mx880's to not turn the unit off instead just change the input to one that is not being used thus no sound so the receiver will stay on. maybe this new firmware that was just released will fix it?

onestop

Back to top Go down

Post  ben1977 Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:02 am

Waiting for the "final fix" (I hope !), you can activate the network stand-by and it should work

ben1977

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic - Page 2 Empty 515/616 not turning on receiver

Post  onestop Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:00 pm

Has anyone tried the new firmware update for the fix on the 516/616 power not turning on?

onestop

Back to top Go down

Post  onestop Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:00 am

we installed the new firmware 06-08-12 today hoping it would fix the problem of not turning on IT DID NOT WORK ONKYO PLEASE HELP US WITH THIS..

onestop

Back to top Go down

Post  mjhawk Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Same trouble here with the 515. Onkyo remote will not turn the receiver on. If anything this issue is occurring more frequently for me. It happened a few times when I first received the product last month and thought it was just the android app locking something up, but it is now a nightly issue and I haven't connected my android device for some time. I just turned the system off a few minutes ago and am now unable to power on with the remote. I have the most recent firmware update installed.

Please let me know if you would like anymore information regarding my set up, it is pretty basic and haven't tweaked much of anything other than hooking speakers and cables up.

Hope you fix the problem soon, it is quite annoying and worst of all I'm getting the "look" from my wife on my malfunctioning luxury purchase.

mjhawk

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic - Page 2 Empty Any updates???

Post  mjhawk Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:41 pm

This thread has been dead for a few days. Any resolution to the issue? I see another firmware update was pushed out a couple of days ago. I've been leaving my receiver on for convenience since my post, so I don't know if it fixed the problem.

mjhawk

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic - Page 2 Empty New firmware 6-15-12 still doesn't solve the power on issue

Post  Milinko12 Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:39 pm

No it doesn't solve the problem. We finally switched out to a different receiver (on 3 different jobs) after all the BS and lack of support from Onkyo tech support. I would suggest all of you do the same.

Milinko12

Back to top Go down

Post  onestop Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:50 pm

did the vendor take back the onkyo or did you get stuck with them?

onestop

Back to top Go down

Post  onestop Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:53 pm

Onkyo this is really bad for your company not to be addressing this issue.... we are weeks into these problems, I am a small company can not afford to take back the receivers & buy new ones then install them, so much money just wasted if only you could tested the product first, we now have lost so much time/money & have really upset the customers..

onestop

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic - Page 2 Empty Yes....upset customers and money lost is the name of the game for me as well

Post  Milinko12 Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:58 pm

Yes, thankfully my vendor took 2 of the 3 back, without the boxes too i might add. Much kudos to them for doing the right thing, but now they are stuck with 2 crappy receivers. Trust me, both of my vendors that sell Onkyo are VERY aware of the issues. I had to upgrade my (upset) customers with more expensive receivers, but at least the problem is now solved. It's too bad because I always had good luck with past models of Onkyo.

Milinko12

Back to top Go down

Post  onestop Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:06 pm

yes we have always had good luck with onkyo, Our vendor says no one else is having this issue? i really find that hard to beleaive, but I have been with them for over 8 years. we have replaced one receiver with mirantz today it worked great, now the cost factor.. I wish onkyo would cover our cost for the extra labor & time wasted, has your vendor had more customers having the same issues?

onestop

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic - Page 2 Empty Power on issues 515 616

Post  Milinko12 Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:21 pm

Yes, we did the same. Replaced with Marantz, which ran quite a bit more money. My vendor did say that a few others were having the same issues, however I think that everyone may be having the problem...they just don't know it yet. But...I will give Onkyo the benefit of the doubt. If I find out in 2 months that it was a hardware issue in a certain production number of receivers, then I will give them another chance. However, I think this is a well-known problem that is probably happening everywhere. I mean...what are the chances that I have 3 of 3 receivers (two 616 and one 515) that are doing the same thing in different homes?!? I had good luck with the 509 and 609 models, but as soon as they switched....no good.

Milinko12

Back to top Go down

Post  pickepock Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:40 am

Same here. Have waiting for a "fix" for some time now....
Will return my NR-515 next week if no change from Onkyo....
Sad

pickepock

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic - Page 2 Empty New 515 to day and same problem...

Post  pickepock Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Have a new one today but suffering of the same problem.
This one was even worse than my old one.
The only reponse we get from Onkyo is that something is wrong with my product(S) Shocked

No

pickepock

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515/616 remote control not turning your receiver "on"  topic - Page 2 Empty Change the Order in which Devices are Turned On

Post  killabuford Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:05 pm

For those using a Harmony One remote, this can be fixed.

First, go to the Devices tab of your configuration software and select the Troubleshoot button on your TV device. Go through the prompts and look for the SCART section. Make sure that SCART is turned OFF for your TV.

Next, go to the Activities tab and click the "Settings" button on each. Select the option to change the order in which devices are turned on and make sure that the Onkyo receiver is the FIRST device that will be turned on for EACH activity in your list.

Update your devise and lift your hands to the heavens in gratitude.

THOSE OF YOU USING A REMOTE WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW THE CONFIGURATION OF THE ORDER IN WHICH DEVICES ARE TURNED ON ARE LIKELY OUT OF LUCK!! That is, unless Onkyo can firmware update their way outta this one.

See the Logitech forums for more information.

killabuford

Back to top Go down

Post  ben1977 Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:46 am

For those who can't do the "trick", this is another solution that I can give :
activate the network stand-by (a light on the right side is ON when the ampli is in stand by mode).
By doing this, the ampli doesn't keep stuck no matter in which order you switch on the TV and the ampli.

ben1977

Back to top Go down

Post  ben1977 Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:47 am

Nota : I'm the guy who gave the "hint" on the logitech forum, and I can say that I had to search a lot of hours to find an alternative to the Onkyo bug ...

ben1977

Back to top Go down

Post  canada16 Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:50 am

Hi I posted a thread, but I have the 818 and my amp does not turn on with the remote.
If I turn it on and off every 3 seconds it works, but if I leave it for long periods of time, eg, over an hour of non use and overnight, I need to turn it on by the main unit.
Very annoying, you spend 1000.00 on a amp and you cant even use the remote.

This is my first onkyo, and there are so many software issues on the 616 and 818 ect. but this seems nothing new to onkyo, even last years models have had major issues, and I think even a recall. Never had any issues with my previous pioneers, but thought, WOW what spec for 1000.00 and sold my pioneer, kinda regretting it now.

Would be nice for a firmware update to sort this out for all models, I have a bad back and cant keep getting up all the time to turn on the amp, thats why I have a remote.

canada16

Back to top Go down

Post  canada16 Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:11 am

ben1977 wrote:For those who can't do the "trick", this is another solution that I can give :
activate the network stand-by (a light on the right side is ON when the ampli is in stand by mode).
By doing this, the ampli doesn't keep stuck no matter in which order you switch on the TV and the ampli.

Hi sorry your instructions are not that thourough for me.

Can you post a step by step, I have a 818 with the same problem, I have done the harmony remote, were the scart was off on the TV side and put my amp to be first to be turned on, but would like to know how to do your thing as well.

How do you activate the network stand-by

canada16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next