Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture)

+138
plouie10
DHTech
Deuce2119
Spinplasm
mid_gen
Feuerwehr
prymevil
DADEO
gsalciccioli
Paladin2187
adamcall
311stylie
kjbuk
zinferlo
jackr000
rwanat1224
larryf67
Widmark
kaplansa
kalliasx
av-dude
sidigs
Anthony Bonello
huckster2
thedogstarman
mog_pj
ndskurfer
ZeroFusion
legeferenda
Xrypton
thedr
elchucho
LarryRac
skeeter
FlyByNgt
tulak
Mark515
alexade
ijthay
GilmanW
Kram
Greyfax1
Briwis
robyholmes
alskop
tvandemeeberg
david_l312
cheth
CVuPlay
sika stag
The_Chemist
Jarsky
Dubguy
Pdub247
ashley68
Jes The Cat
markwyse24
MARK616
riconek
bjornr
Poechi
sterrenberg
Lawplace
DournP
arlibama
enigmakrishna
parosser
rataplan
city1
jollyred
Hans143
thecaptain
Bitsmart Corp
mgause
ChrisNow
hjmm2002
gotagreatdog
dazkgoodwin
chatman
MusicLover
den327nj
bhinesley
JohnDollin
namwol55
teryglenn1
ejronin
Cloneman315
aballen
Seb007
jbhieber
JayeizH
steverobertsbbc
kimbray
funchameleon
megabyzus
Stereo Steve
pla
timbock2
xeryax
smashpwnage
likeahoss
Jonginear
jaypugh
toto
ernestshackleton
nexusseven
Jeron
mwhorseman
Jagdad
tedgocal
Sanxion72
rvath
Guindalf
dsteele1
txuser
911jason
cpmmk1
MusicHK
Otter0911
fchamorro
Spocktwin
miami580
dibe
mastergravis
KI2000
jksmccoy
Dadorama
chrisg
coryip
meyerman
jensen
zingmaster
jerryw
roger4680
Didsbury Nick
rlh
OnkyoUSA
etw
142 posters

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty Firmware update question

Post  kalliasx Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi everyone,

Received my 515 yesterday, I had an older model (608 ?) before and was so satisfied with it, not a single issue, that I blindly bought this one... and then having no image from my PC or 360, I started roaming the net and found multiple forum with people ranting on these issues as well and started to think I might have bought a dud that will play with my nerves. Until I saw the new firmware, however, when decompressing the zip, there are the three files mentionned on the manual, but ALSO a folder called AVR000D_Release containing not 3 but four of these files. Also I couldn't help but notice the file dates, the ones at the root folder are from Jun 14, the ones in the AVR000D_Release folder from september 24. Since I didn't know if there is a difference, I just put the entire thing on the root of my usb stick (that include three ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of* files and the AVR000D_Release folder). I think the page containing the file should have said what to do, if the files you get from the zip are different than what they tell you on the manual, the least you can do is tell the customer what to do. I hope I did well by launching the update by copying all at the root of an empty usb stick. It's updating now and I'm crossing my fingers cause I can't stand the fact that I went with Onkyo to avoid HDMI problems (I had those with Sony receivers) and what I got was exactly what I wanted to avoid.

I will report back but if anyone knows if we must use the files in the folder that contains one more file ONKAVR000D_00EAEA00EAEAEA.of4 or if it's needed to have all on the stick.

Again, next time some DETAILED instructions from Onkyo wouldn't hurt, I already find it unacceptable that it took so long (for me it didn't but I see the thread is spread over months) to fix the issue, the least they could do is explain what to do properly IMHO. This remembers me of the OCZ SSD debacle of last year with customers left in the dark for 6 months as to why their Windows PC was blue screening and not seeing their SSD upon restart...

Anyway, if someone can explain in details what they did, what files they put, as-is, the first three on the root only, or the four files in the subfolder only, I would be greatful.

Thanks in advance
Chris

kalliasx

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty Firmware update feedback

Post  kalliasx Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:04 pm

OK so the firmware update went well, at first it didn't want to work still, I tried another projector and it was working, so I switched cables (the cable used was working 100% perfectly with the older ONKYO receiver SR608), anyway with this new cable most things work, but it's not 100% perfect Sad. PC's connected on HDMI aren't detected, I get the no signal still. I've tried both my with HTPC/Gaming rig and my Macbook Air (mid 2011), neither detects a signal. Did anyone had experience with the new firmware and a PC connected via HDMI ? (my gaming rig has a GTX 560). For the PC worse comes to worse I will output video via VGA directly to my projector but it still pisses me off to no end to have "upgraded" receiver (and I already sold my SR608 which never made me a single issue) to have less functionality in the end.

So I hope Onkyo will fix the PC issue, I have lots of PCs at home so when I have time and patience (it's surely running out at 3AM now) I will test other rigs to see what's what but the fact that both PC and Mac aren't detecting means the issue is not with a single device. Still, at least I have my 360, my PS3, my media player and I tested a HD-DVD player of yore and all works fine (pheeew). At least it's 90% usable now, which is better than it was a few hours ago.

Also does anyone knows how to use HDMI 5 to 7, there are no dedicated buttons on the remote to access these, is there an easy way ?

Thanks and I hope in time that my PC will work again on my projector. I also have to test all these device in a double output scenario (one of the reasons I bought the TX515 was the double monitor out !), as I would like to be able to use a LED projector when I put some "background stuff" since it has a 20'000 hours lamp life. Many times I will put a series in the background and work on something else while I listen and look at the image only from time to time... no point in wasting valuable DLP lamp when I can do that on my portable ACER K20 Led projector. My main projector is the H5360BD 3D DLP by Acer also... I still don't understand why it needed another cable to work but I'm glad the fix was that easy. I just ordered a bunch a different HDMI cables that I should get next week so I will also try these in conjunction with PCs to see if it fixes my current predicament.

All in all if I can make my entire setup to work I will be happy, but that's the last time I buy an Onkyo receiver blindly, next time I will do my research, and I no longer regard them as flawless as I thought they were (my SR608 was ABSOLUTELY flawless, never had an issue, any HDMI cable would work, everything was just perfect !).

Good night Smile
Chris

kalliasx

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty TX-NR809 "hdmi start up" error

Post  kaplansa Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:02 am

Welcome to the club I guess. I've had my Onkyo receiver for six months and all of a sudden I turned it on today and I'm getting the imfamous "hdmi start up" error too. All I get across my monitor is a big Onkyo logo. I've swapped HDMI cables and pulled the power of the receiver numerous times. I've also updated the firmware via net as of day. No dice. Like the others on this thread, I did have success using the monitor out (sub), but the audio's all messed up, sometimes not even there. Maybe that's be design with this port. No sure. Nevertheless, I have a 20lb paperweight now. HELP!!!!

kaplansa

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty Re: TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture)

Post  sidigs Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:50 am

Well after some head scratching and thought over the weekend, I had a Eureka moment and checked the firmware numbers and found that the update I did last week, did not in fact update to the latest firmware but to the earlier 1100-6103-0300, so stuck the USB stick in again and sure enough another update was available!!!!
Think this explains what appears to be duplicates folder inside package.
(Chris please note, I think one set of files is the firmware update to 1100-6103-0300 then the other set is to the current 1141-0108-0400)
So had to endure another wait for the update to happen, will we have power outage or some other failure leading to an usable and expensive paperweight?
This has annoyed me on a couple of points, I waited for this update to deal with the HDMI problems because I did not want to take unnecessary risks performing update after update, only to have to do 2 anyway, secondly why Onkyo didn't you say in the instructions explicitly that if you were updating from before such and such version then 2 updates would be needed!!!
Also when I reported my experience on here why didn't you say that in some cases 2 updates would need to be done?
I would like to add that I do understand that a tech bod may have written the instructions and so therefore may be suffering tunnel vision, but I don't think Onkyo fully appreciates the stress and head scratching caused by such poorly written instructions, we are as customers after all, trying to rectify what to us, is a faulty product.
On a more positive note so far so good but it has only been a day, I am optimistic however, seeing what others have written.
regards Sid

sidigs

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty Re: TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture)

Post  kalliasx Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:45 am

kaplansa wrote:Welcome to the club I guess. I've had my Onkyo receiver for six months and all of a sudden I turned it on today and I'm getting the imfamous "hdmi start up" error too. All I get across my monitor is a big Onkyo logo. I've swapped HDMI cables and pulled the power of the receiver numerous times. I've also updated the firmware via net as of day. No dice. Like the others on this thread, I did have success using the monitor out (sub), but the audio's all messed up, sometimes not even there. Maybe that's be design with this port. No sure. Nevertheless, I have a 20lb paperweight now. HELP!!!!

By net you are stuck on 300 firmware, you need the USB only 400 firmware to fix up the mess, but if you don't see any image at all it's gonna be a shot in the dark. I believe if you put the firmware on a usb stick, plug it, select USB source, press enter twice it should start the firmware (I think, talking about what I remember yesterday from it). I can't remember if a down arrow was needed. Maybe other users can pitch in.

But for me its far from being an ultimate fix, I still have issues with some sources. PC for instance, I can make it work for a short while then the signal goes away. The only way it works is if both my projector display the image or just the K11 (no K20 like I said before), but it's a low lumen projector so I don't care about it. The Onkyo is still not 100% compatible the H5360BD to me. The 360 in 720p doesn't work either, had to put it in 1080p for the signal to stay stable. This is a highly unpolished product, feels more like an alpha product that needs a good six months of testing if you ask me. Did anyone else noticed this model is no longer THX certified when the previous two models (includin the SR608 I owned before) were... not that I care much about certification but seems to me they rushed the new ones out the door and we are paying the price.

Just my 2 cents
Chris

kalliasx

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty HDMI...

Post  kalliasx Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:49 am

Having had the receiver only two days means I didn't get the HDMI not starting at all, but my problems was none of my equipement except a cheapo 25Euro media player (Hyundai) was the only hdmi source displaying an image !!! My higher end sources (consoles, PC, ...etc) were only having sound. This with the same cables that made them all work flawlessly on the SR608...

I'm now waiting on my newer hdmi cables to see if maybe one makes the PC work... But the fact that the 360 doesn't work when configured in 720p makes me think there is something seriously wrong with how the new receivers are dealing with HDMI in general.

For now I'm just happy I have 90% functionality back, now my fear is : will it last ?

Just my 2 cents,
Chris

kalliasx

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty Update...

Post  cpmmk1 Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:54 am

So, did the USB update the other day. So far it seems to be working - only one issue. When I turn on my TV, it doesn't read the HDMI right away. I have to wait maybe 20 +/- seconds and then it will come on. Didnt do this until the update (although I had the HDMI output issues as detailed in the past.) Any thoughts?

cpmmk1

Back to top Go down

Post  sidigs Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Chris...

I was partly responding to you above, ALL the files in the zip folder should be extracted to the root of the USB stick, as I said it may be that it needs to do 2 updates to get to the current firmware version therefore 2 updates are included, as I moaned about above Onkyo should make it clearer and clean up the poor instructions.

For me the firmware I started with was 1030-3103-0100, then I stuck in usb went to 1100-6103-0300 lost all settings thought job was done but amp still not working, then stuck usb back in went to firmware update again and it recognized second update which took firmware to 1141-0108-0400

kalliasx...I would try downloading firmware update and installing that way I know that the latest HAS to be installed by USB, also as I said it may need to have 2 update procedures, to get to current firmware
Regards Sid

sidigs

Back to top Go down

Post  kalliasx Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:17 pm

sidigs wrote:Chris...

I was partly responding to you above, ALL the files in the zip folder should be extracted to the root of the USB stick, as I said it may be that it needs to do 2 updates to get to the current firmware version therefore 2 updates are included, as I moaned about above Onkyo should make it clearer and clean up the poor instructions.

For me the firmware I started with was 1030-3103-0100, then I stuck in usb went to 1100-6103-0300 lost all settings thought job was done but amp still not working, then stuck usb back in went to firmware update again and it recognized second update which took firmware to 1141-0108-0400

kalliasx...I would try downloading firmware update and installing that way I know that the latest HAS to be installed by USB, also as I said it may need to have 2 update procedures, to get to current firmware
Regards Sid

OK thanks for letting me know but since it says -0400 on my current firmware I would suppose that the update went fine right ? I did put all files on the USB stick when I made the update, seemed the logical thing to do even though it was conflicting with info in the instruction (3 files on root, 32Mb free). In the end this had 7 files and 70Mb.

For now it works okay, it's nowhere near as painless as my previous ONKYO but I learned my lesson, never trust a brand blindly anymore.

So let me know if you think I need to try a second part update since it already says -0400 on my firmware now.

Thx and all the best
Chris

kalliasx

Back to top Go down

Post  sidigs Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:23 pm

Chris

yeah sounds like you've got the right one, the instructions are an almighty mess especially for doing something that could break the unit.

regards Sid

sidigs

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:47 pm

I would suggest you try to reserve a SKYPE callback reservation (using a Skype enabled device or webcam and microphone, iPad or Android tablet device with Skype, or cellphone with Skype) for an interactive and visual presentation of your current setup so we can further assist you at the following weblink: http://www.onkyousa.com/support_appointment_afaq.cfm?skype=y. This reservation is aavailable Monday -Friday 10am to 4pm EST; we would like to view your setup and work to resolve your issue.

Best Regards;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bjornr Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:09 am

Well, seems like nobody have been experiencing this issue for the week the fw update has been out, nor have I.

Great work, Onkyo!

bjornr

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty NR616. New Firmware with 3 files and 4 in the folder after unzip

Post  ChrisNow Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:22 am

I was confused after unzip latest firmware, why I got 3 old files (June) and 4 new (October) in the file . I called Onkyo and representative told me that its correct -should be 3 files in root of USB and 4 in the folder to make the update in front USB. It took around 1 hour to update and so far HDMI output is OK.

ChrisNow

Back to top Go down

Post  enigmakrishna Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:43 am

I've updated for 3 days, seems that the no HDMI issue has been corrected.
However, i noticed occassional issue with standby HDMI passthrough.

In ordder to get it back to work, i have to Turn ON the receiver, let HDMI signal pass through receiver first, then turn OFF receiver. It will then pass through correctly.

It's a hassle, but still I think ONKYO has made a big step forward. At least for such issue, i dont have to UNPLUG and reboot the receiver.

enigmakrishna

Back to top Go down

Post  bjornr Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:23 am

I don't know, after all the crap I put onto Onkyo I thought it was in its place to post something positive. Sure, this was handled everything but smoothly or promptly, but at least they didn't do as I suspected -- launch a new line of receivers and whistle like nothing happened.

Not tried the standby stuff yet, usually only use that very late at night when I need the TV to output the sound to not wake people up. Not that often Smile

bjornr

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Glad to read this has been resolved by the latest firmware update; as we actually worked diligently to develop this resolution and greatly appreciate all the positive feedback from our prestigious and passionate Onkyo owners. If you have any more questions or concerns , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday - Sunday 24 hours a day EST: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty Pass thru issue

Post  alskop Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:17 am

I think I have experienced what enigmakrishna is talking about: Sometimes, I turn on my Fios box and my TV. Receiver is set to pass thru and standby on this input. What I get on the tv is audio from the fios box, but the video is the Onkyo screen saver (the bubbles fading in and out). Luckily, no power cord pull is necessary, but I do need to turn on the receiver and turn it off again to once again see picture from the box. Anyone else get this?

alskop

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty Not quite the same, but...

Post  cpmmk1 Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:04 pm

alskop wrote:I think I have experienced what enigmakrishna is talking about: Sometimes, I turn on my Fios box and my TV. Receiver is set to pass thru and standby on this input. What I get on the tv is audio from the fios box, but the video is the Onkyo screen saver (the bubbles fading in and out). Luckily, no power cord pull is necessary, but I do need to turn on the receiver and turn it off again to once again see picture from the box. Anyone else get this?

I have Fios as well... I mentioned earlier that when I initially start my TV, the signal from the box (which of course is run via HDMI through the Receiver isn't "found". This box is also set up to be the bypassed component. After about 20 seconds, the picture comes on and all is well... So, for me aside from having to wait a few secs, the other issues seem to have been resolved. This is all based on bypass and not a powered on receiver.

cpmmk1

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty Firmware 400 --> How do you like it now?

Post  Widmark Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:38 am

I have an older 6 series Onkyo receiver and need something newer. I expected the 515 or 616 would be a no brainer and then I found issues like monitor out problems, bricked units, etc.

For those who updated to the latest 400 firmware, despite prior agonies, do you now consider the 515 or 616 a viable/worthy product worth buying? I am very hesitant to buy one given all these issues, and wonder if all of them are firmware correctable. On the other hand, competing receivers from Denon or Pioneer in the same class are mostly either more expensive or lacking the feature set of the Onkyo.

The 20 second delay on video output is an annoyance I'm not sure I'd want to accept.

Widmark

Back to top Go down

Post  sidigs Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:30 am

Widmark...

To give Onkyo their due, since the last update my amp, a 616 (I had a 515 but updated to a 616 to try and sort original problem but 616 had same problems) has performed flawlessly, I haven't seen the 20 second delay on this unit.

I will bang on about this again tho the instructions are poor to say the least, out of the box my 616 when doing the latest USB update needed to update twice that is why the file structure looks strange on the USB.

Other than above I am now quite satisfied and touch wood the unit continues to perform into the future

Regards Sid

sidigs

Back to top Go down

Post  bjornr Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:12 pm

i doubt 616 or 515 will be any difference, magic trick in your case was probably applying the latest firmware update.

bjornr

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 - Monitor out issues (no picture) - Page 17 Empty Firmware level

Post  larryf67 Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:33 am

TR-NX515 how can I tell what the firmware level is?

larryf67

Back to top Go down

Post  enigmakrishna Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:05 pm

larryf67 wrote:TR-NX515 how can I tell what the firmware level is?

Hope this helps:
http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/tx-nr515.html

To check your firmware version, press the “Home” button on your remote control. Highlight “F/W Update” or select the “Firmware Update” icon and press enter. Your current firmware version will be displayed on the front panel of your A/V receiver as well as your TV screen.

enigmakrishna

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:02 pm

The new firmware version is available for our US and Canadian customers at the following webpage: http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/software.cfm. It also provides a YouTube tutorial instructing how to install the firmware version onto your USB flash drive and also the proper installation method.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MusicLover Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:12 am

amazing, the link you posted there is a dead link......... can't anything be done correctly and with double checking accuracy?

MusicLover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 20 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next