Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR515 won't power on from remote control or from iPhone remote app

+6
iklein
Kormus
Defendant
dgoebel
OnkyoUSA
timmarks
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TX-NR515 won't power on from remote control or from iPhone remote app Empty TX-NR515 won't power on from remote control or from iPhone remote app

Post  timmarks Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Just received a new TX-NR515.

I can power on the device from the button on the receiver, but I cannot power on the unit from the remote control or from the iPhone remote control.

Once powered on, I can control the unit with the either remote control. I can turn OFF the unit with the remotes, but I can't turn it on?

Any idea how to resolve this?

Thanks!

timmarks

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 won't power on from remote control or from iPhone remote app Empty Re: TX-NR515 won't power on from remote control or from iPhone remote app

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi timmarks,

I want to be clear in what you're asking. Are you using both actual remote that came with the receiver and the remote app for our receivers?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 won't power on from remote control or from iPhone remote app Empty or a Logitech Harmony One Remote

Post  dgoebel Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:18 pm

+1 on that. Brand new TX-NR515 installed by a professional company on the April 19th, and I have to use the front panel power button to turn the unit on. The included Onkyo remote doesn't turn it on (using Receiver and Receiver On/Off combination) or a programmed Harmony One Remote doesn't turn the unit on. If I get up and physically turn it on it comes on.

Last edited by dgoebel on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update subject for my equivalent issue)
dgoebel
dgoebel

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 won't power on from remote control or from iPhone remote app Empty Re: TX-NR515 won't power on from remote control or from iPhone remote app

Post  dgoebel Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:47 am

I just double checked this issue, still present after latest firmware update.
dgoebel
dgoebel

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi dgoebel,

Have you made sure the remote id was correct on both the receiver and the remote?
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dgoebel Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:32 pm

Using the RC-834M remote checked the Receiver menu, remote ID is set at 1, and using the page 65 of the English manual the Remote's Remote ID is set to 1.
To fully explain, the unit will only power on using the front panel power button after being off for 4 -5 hrs.

Once I've powered the system up with the front panel button, the RC-834M remote or my Harmony One remote works fine, until I shut the TX-NR515 down for any extended period.

If I'm watching before dinner, shut it down before dinner, then come back after dinner, it will power up by remote (either), but if it's been shut down over night, remotes don't work.
dgoebel
dgoebel

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi dgoebel,

I will get with our engineering department on this and hopefully have an answer for you soon. Thank for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dgoebel Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Thanks, Installer suggested a 'Hard Reset" after my having updated firmware, but I can't find the instructions for that process.
dgoebel
dgoebel

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi dgoebel,

The reset information can be found on page 75 of the manual. I do not think this will resolve your issue though.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dgoebel Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks, I missed it. Just a thought the installer had, thanks for continuing to work on this though.
dgoebel
dgoebel

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Hi dgoebel,

Thanks for your patience on this. I hope to have an answer soon.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Defendant Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:18 pm

I am also having the same issue with the same receiver. I can sometimes get the remote to turn the receiver on, but only immediately after turning the receiver with the remote. If I wait a while then the only way to turn on the receiver is to use the button on the receiver.

Defendant

Back to top Go down

Post  Kormus Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:30 am

I'm also having this problem. As the original poster and dgoebel have stated, if the receiver is off for an extended period, in my case usually over night, the only way to power the device back on is to manually hit the power button on the front panel. Once the receiver is on, both the original remote and my Harmony One can be used to control and power off the device. I can even use them to turn it back on, as long as it's within the last few hours or so. Any information on a resolution would be appreciated.

Kormus

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Hi Kormus,

I was wondering if we could get your unit over to our corporate head quarters to do some testing on it. If this is okay with you please PM me with an answer and I'll give you the details. Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 won't power on from remote control or from iPhone remote app Empty Same problem on the New 616

Post  iklein Tue May 01, 2012 12:16 pm

Same problem on the New 616... very disappointed!

iklein

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue May 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi iklein,

So you are having the same exact issue as the others with the 515? I just want to make sure this is the case.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  iklein Tue May 01, 2012 3:42 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi iklein,

So you are having the same exact issue as the others with the 515? I just want to make sure this is the case.

Yes... same exact problem on my 616. I can NOT power ON the receiver via the included remote or any other remote... ie Harmony 1100.
After I power on manually, I can use the remote(s) and Android app.
Last night was the first time since receiving/installing my new receiver that I tried to turn it on via a remote. I had just finished programming my Harmony 1100... and was testing it out. The receiver would not turn on. So I tried the Onkyo remote... and it still would not turn on.
Only when I push the power button on the front will it turn on.

iklein

Back to top Go down

Post  iklein Wed May 02, 2012 3:45 pm

This could quite possibly be one of the most ridiculous failures I ever experienced.
The most basic function of turning on the receiver with the remote... isn't working.
Wow.... and the waiting game is maddening.
What should I do?
Wait for a response on a firmware update?
How long should I wait?
If I wait to long I won't be able to return it.

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

iklein

Back to top Go down

Post  Kormus Wed May 02, 2012 4:01 pm

I noticed this morning when I hit the remote power button, it actually came on, however, the receiver had also been left on input 2. Every other time I tried to use the remote or Harmony One for the past 3 weeks, the avr had been left on input 1 and nothing would happen until I physically hit the front panel power. I'm going to try again after letting it sit all day powered down and see what happens now that I've switched input back to bd/dvd. I'm curious if anyone else notices the same.

Kormus

Back to top Go down

Post  iklein Wed May 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Kormus wrote:I noticed this morning when I hit the remote power button, it actually came on, however, the receiver had also been left on input 2. Every other time I tried to use the remote or Harmony One for the past 3 weeks, the avr had been left on input 1 and nothing would happen until I physically hit the front panel power. I'm going to try again after letting it sit all day powered down and see what happens now that I've switched input back to bd/dvd. I'm curious if anyone else notices the same.
I'm confused by your saying it was left on INPUT 2 or INPUT 1....Can you explain? I have the 616, but I didn't see anything on the 515 regarding input numbers... only input selections, i.e. CBL/SAT, GAME, AUX, etc. Maybe I'm missing something.

iklein

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed May 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi iklein,

If you'd like we can offer to have your unit brought here for evaluation by our technician but if you are running out of time on the exchange with your dealer then by all means return it. If you choose to accept our offer please PM me and let me know. Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kormus Wed May 02, 2012 5:09 pm

iklein wrote:
Kormus wrote:I noticed this morning when I hit the remote power button, it actually came on, however, the receiver had also been left on input 2. Every other time I tried to use the remote or Harmony One for the past 3 weeks, the avr had been left on input 1 and nothing would happen until I physically hit the front panel power. I'm going to try again after letting it sit all day powered down and see what happens now that I've switched input back to bd/dvd. I'm curious if anyone else notices the same.
I'm confused by your saying it was left on INPUT 2 or INPUT 1....Can you explain? I have the 616, but I didn't see anything on the 515 regarding input numbers... only input selections, i.e. CBL/SAT, GAME, AUX, etc. Maybe I'm missing something.
Sorry for the confusion, the rear HDMI inputs, at least on the NR515, are labeled and numbered. For example, Input 1 is labeled BD/DVD, Input 2 is CBL/SAT, etc. In my case, it seems like whenever the receiver was last on input 1, BD/DVD, I noticed I would be unable to power on the device using the remote after a certain length of time has passed. I haven't verified that yet, since I just noticed it this morning, but hope to test it over the next few days.

Kormus

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed May 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi Kormus,

Please keep us posted. Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

TX-NR515 won't power on from remote control or from iPhone remote app Empty TX-NR515 will not power on with remote.

Post  TVinstallguru Thu May 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Bought rec on monday.Installed it on wednesday for customer.Will not power on with either Harmony or Onkyo remotes.Took it back.got another new 515.Installed it.Turn on first time with remote,but if you turn it off it will not turn on again with remote,only manualy on frontpanel.Reset it,then it turn on with remote,then you turn it off and will not turn on again.Must be some firmware screwup,two receivers in a row.If I look at all the complaints I wonder if Onkyo is loosing their quality name?

TVinstallguru

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri May 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Hi TVinstallguru,

We apologize for the inconvenience but as stated previously in this post we are currently looking in to this issue and hope to have an answer soon.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next