Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gapless DLNA playback

+4
AlanEisen
aaciii
OnkyoUSA
sheph
8 posters

Go down

Gapless DLNA playback Empty Gapless DLNA playback

Post  sheph Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:18 pm

I'm wondering if it's possible to do gapless playback using DLNA. I use foobar2000 with the foo_upnp plugin. All of my LPs are in 24/96k WAV, and my CDs are in flac. It works well through Windows playing LPs just as though it were on the turntable, but when I connect to the TX-NR5009 I get 2-3 second gaps between tracks. I've poked around in the foobar settings as well as on the receiver, but I didn't see anything that looked like pre-buffering or anything like that. I tried using my wifes android phone and it works fine, so I'm pretty sure it's the receiver.

sheph

Back to top Go down

Gapless DLNA playback Empty Re: Gapless DLNA playback

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi sheph,

I will pass this on to one our engineer to see if it is possible.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:17 am

Hi sheph,

The engineers think this is not possible and that the gap is in fact the unit trying to buffer the next song. Also they instruct that, only way to have no gap would be to make all of his music on continuous track (which obviously isn't practical).
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Gapless DLNA playback Empty Yes, it can be done...

Post  aaciii Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:35 pm

Take a look at Squeezebox products or Subsonic. Gapless playbackis very doable over DLNA - you simply have to start buffering the next track and switch over at the right moment.

This is really something you all should add. Classical music, and many other albums, sounds terrible with the 2-3 second gap between tracks (example: Dark Side of the Moon).

Due to lack of this feature I cannot use the DLna features of my tx-nr709. It's just too annoying.

aaciii

Back to top Go down

Gapless DLNA playback Empty Agree

Post  AlanEisen Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:01 pm

I agree . . . its do-able and very necessary. The gap between tracks makes many DLNA activities almost useless.

AlanEisen

Back to top Go down

Gapless DLNA playback Empty gapless playback please

Post  spicediver Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:01 am

Agree.

DLNA is useless to me for my digital music collection - dance mix albums, prog rock like Pink Floyd, classical albums, etc All these kinds of albums are unlistenable when you have these gaps interrrupting the music.

Many computer desktop apps such as Winamp, VLC and iTunes Player do it. I can see no technical reason why the network audio streaming feaures on AV hardware such as the Onkyos can't be implemented to do it as well.

The gapless playback process apparently *is* fairly CPU/resource intensive, but I'm unsure whether this processing effort should be expended by the chip in the AV hardware or by the DLNA server via the computer's CPU. Perhaps someone here who's tech savvy could expand on this point.

Onkyo USA - please let the Jap techs know that genuine demand exists for this feature in a future firmware!

spicediver

Back to top Go down

Post  pacificstart Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:30 pm

I second that.
Who has all it's music on a USB device these days anyway? We are in 2012 not in 2002!! Hello?!

I believe Onkyo should address that as it's the right thing to do.

pacificstart

Back to top Go down

Post  Methadras Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Does gapless playback occur in the TX-NR818? If it does, is there even a way to fix this?

Methadras

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Your message has been forwarded to the appropriate representatives and department for further review and research. Thank you again for your input; as someone from the Engineering department will research your suggestion; so please periodically check our PRESS RELEASES for any further information.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Methadras Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:33 pm

If the engineers determine that it doesn't then what can we as users do to get them to fix this problem? Not having a gapless playback in DLNA or any other medium is a real and serious issue considering that it adversely affects the content being played back. I think this should be a serious and high priority to fix. And if they can't fix it, why not?

Methadras

Back to top Go down

Gapless DLNA playback Empty gapless playback nonexistent on txnr-818

Post  boidsonly Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:23 am

The 818 does not support gap less playback. This is an easy SW fix if Onkyo were serious about their AVRs. Several competing brands have already issued FW updates to correct the problem. If I had known that the 818 did not support it, I would now own another brand that did support it.
I will go back to my review on Amazon and downgrade my review to 1star until this is fixed by Onkyo. Most folks take it for granted that an AVR like the 818 would come with support for gapless playback.

Come on Onkyo, do the right thing and fix this. I listen to my music in lossless format streamed from 2 tb HDDs and it aggravates me to no end to put up with it.

boidsonly

Back to top Go down

Post  Methadras Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Who at Onkyo besides the forum moderators could I/we talk to that could elevate this issue as a serious priority that needs to get fixed. If I had known that the 818 or any other Onkyo products couldn't do this, I wouldn't have bought it. I would have bypassed it completely.

So, instead of consideration, is this actually being worked on internally at Onkyo or not? If not, why not, and if it is when should we expect a firmware update that fixes it? A week, a month, 2 months? what?

Methadras

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:37 pm

Hello Methadras;

Please forward your inquiry regarding DLNA gapless audio playback to the following email address so it can be forwarded to the proper department and representatives for further evaluation: onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com. Please include your forum name/handle in the email and all pertinent information so the proper representatives can review.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Gapless DLNA playback Empty Gapless playback

Post  boidsonly Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:53 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi sheph,

The engineers think this is not possible and that the gap is in fact the unit trying to buffer the next song. Also they instruct that, only way to have no gap would be to make all of his music on continuous track (which obviously isn't practical).

Pure laziness on the engineers' part. That reply is pure bovine excrement. Onkyo, this is no way to treat your paying customers. We all know software is not your forte'; you can, however, have a S/W engineer come up with some code that allows the 818 to buffer the next song(s). CD players have been doing this for 30 years...

How about a real response with some real can do attitude??

boidsonly

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 pm

As previously stated; I will forward your messages to the Engineering department for further research. Any new updated information regarding this issue will be published on the PRESS RELEASE section of our Onkyo webpage.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  pacificstart Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:25 pm

Are there any updates on this?

pacificstart

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:17 pm

Upon further correspondence with the proper representatives and department heads; this feature is NOT currently in further evaluation or development on our current product line. We understand the disappointment in the non-implementation of this feature for your operational preference.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down