Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently

+7
verul
Altmann
dsnetcna
DenvrGuy
garykmcd
OnkyoUSA
abreneman
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently Empty NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently

Post  abreneman Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:08 am

Hello,
I would like some help to solve issues that I am seeing with a new home theatre installation. The set-up is as follows:

Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic BDT-110
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
TV: Panasonic Viera Plasma HDTV (TC-P50S30)

The connections are as follows:
High-Speed 4ft HDMI Cable - Blue-Ray to Receiver
High-Speed 8ft HDMI Calbe - Reciever to TV

During blu-ray playback the audio (and sometimes video as well) occasionally cut-out for a second or two (very randomly - sometimes every 5 minutes, sometime every couple of minutes, etc), and then sometimes even for 5-9 seconds - during which the TV goes to a blue screen since it is no longer is seeing an input. I noticed that the receiver status on the front panel (PL II, Dolby, etc) changes during this time - like it is having trouble knowing what signal it is recieving from the blu-ray player.

In an attempt to fix the problem (since I originally thought it as the blu-ray), I sent the blu-ray player back and got another one. The exact same problem occurs with the new blu-ray player. For more testing, I connected the blu-ray directly to the TV, and the playback is fine. Also, when the reciever is off (but the HDMI pass-through is still on - orange light is lit) the playback is fine as well. In addition I tried several other new HDMI cables, and that did not correct the problem.

I just downloaded the newest firmware (12/2011), but that did not resolve the problem.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!! I am trying to determine if I need to take the reciever in to be serviced.

Thanks,
Andy

abreneman

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently Empty Re: NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:50 am

Hi Andy,
My associates in Product Support are looking into this for you and I will get back to you ASAP, thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently Empty Re: NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Hi Andy,
Please try moving the Blu-ray to another input to see if it is the input that is bad, if so than unit will need repair. After testing that, I would perform a master reset to see if that should correct the issue.To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings.Please keep us posted, thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently Empty I have exactly the same problem

Post  garykmcd Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster. Any time I play a DVD or BD, the audio (and occasionally the video) skips. When I connect the BD player directly to the TV there's no problem whatsoever. A web search indicates that this is not a new problem and has been reported before.

My set up:
Onkyo HT-S3300
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
LG 42LW5700

I've pretty well tried everything at this point:
1)replaced the HDMI cables
2)I've tried different inputs on the receiver
3)I've reset the receiver

Do you have any other suggestions.

garykmcd

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:10 am

Hi garykmcd,
Please try the suggestions posted above first. If that does not work we will continue to troubleshoot the issue for you. Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  garykmcd Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:54 pm

As I said I replaced the cables, tried a different input and did a master reset. None of that worked.

Many thanks for looking into this.

garykmcd

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently Empty Me too...Same Problem with NR509

Post  DenvrGuy Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:21 am

I have the same symptoms with my Blueray DVD player. It's a Panasonic BDT220. It plays perfectly through the TV only without going through the receiver.
I tired all the troubleshoots including checking cables, changing ports in, firmware update, and factory reset.
I would like avoid giving the NR509 a bad review in publicl forums and at Amazon where I bought it. Crying or Very sad Please advise soon.

DenvrGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi DenvrGuy,

We will look into this and will hopefully have an answer for you soon. Thank you for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dsnetcna Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:32 pm

I am having the same problem as the others. Just updated to the latest firmware. I have three devices doing this, my HTPC, Xbox360 and a WD Live box. I can bypass the receiver and connect directly into the TV as well and not have this problem...

I also wanted to add I just talked to Onkyo tech support. They had me turn off a color option by holding down the Cable/Sat and pressing the power button. This did not work... He said the unit is not working properly and I have to send the unit off to get it fixed. However, he contradict himself by saying this is with all known boards that use HDMI including Yamaha, Sony, etc. So... I find it hard to believe the unit is bad. Especially since their are several other people having the same issue. I have 6ft cables going to my receiver and another 6ft cable going to my TV. Onkyo, do you all have a solution to your problem?!! Maybe a call to BBB will speed things up.

dsnetcna

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:33 pm

Hi forum users,

We would need to know if this issue is happening on a certain movie and if so which one specifically and at what times in those movies does this appear to happen at? This will further our effort to narrow down the problem. Thank you.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently Empty Every DVD and Every Netflix

Post  DenvrGuy Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:50 pm

It happens all the time. Never an exception. This receiver just won't process the video with flickers and drops. Audio drops every few minutes as well. This is the same issue addressed by two other user above. What can't understand? It just doesn't work with some DVD players. bounce

DenvrGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  dsnetcna Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:11 am

It doesn't matter what movie and the device. I also did submit a complaint through BBB. My old pioneer I bought at Walmart works better than this does now. I had to remove my devices from the receiver and connect them directly to my TV. This is unacceptable Onkyo. What's frustrating is your tech Guy told me it's a known issue and still wants me to send it in for repair. I don't think so...

dsnetcna

Back to top Go down

Post  Altmann Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:31 am

I am having the same exact issue with my SR1313.

My PS3 just cuts out randomly whether on blu-ray, DVD playback, MLB live or even just stored video. The audio feed and/or video just drop. It can happen several times a minute or just once ever 2-3 minutes but it happens. I can guarantee it's not the PS3 because it works fine directly into my TV. I'm using HDMI.

What is my recourse here? I don't want to have to return this to newegg and write it off as a customer if I can get a fix or even some acknowledgement that this is a problem...

Altmann

Back to top Go down

Post  garykmcd Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:47 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Hi forum users,

We would need to know if this issue is happening on a certain movie and if so which one specifically and at what times in those movies does this appear to happen at? This will further our effort to narrow down the problem. Thank you.

For me this his happening all of the time, whether it's a DVD or a BD.

garykmcd

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently Empty Same issue

Post  verul Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Onkyo TX-NR509
Panasonic DMP-BDT110GN BluRay 3D
Panasonic TH-P60ST30 60" Plasma

Same problem mentioned above. Xbox, WDTV Live, Apple TV, work fine. BluRay intermittent flicker. Either audio will cut out, or screen will cut out with audio and display on the front of the Onkyo amp will disappear to black and then come on again. Happens in all DVD + BluRay. I watched Star Wars A New Hope last night and it did this three times.

I've run through the checklist. New cables, different inputs, hard reset, BLURAY connected to the TV is fine. etc etc etc

What do I do now? What is Onkyo's official stance? Return for repair?

verul

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently Empty Same issue

Post  tommucha Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:07 am

I'm glad I found this thread! I have a 509 and have this issue on my VCR/DVR input that I have my Roku2 plugged into. I spent lots of time troubleshooting that (cabled, move ports, etc) since it didn't happen on my Panasonic Blu-Ray, but after that solved nothing I found this thread and a thread on avsforum.com that shows many folks having the same issue. I'm kind of glad other's are having the issue - doesn't mean I'm crazy!

tommucha

Back to top Go down

Post  dsnetcna Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:41 am

Well here is their response from the BBB complaint. Looks like all they always want to do is for you to send it in for repair...

"Please review the warranty, getting the unit into an authorized service center is the responsibility of the consumer. Repair and return are covered by the warranty. There will be no exchange on a product that does not have a service history."

I had to remind them that the tech rep told me that it was a known issue for this problem to happen and I really don't see the justification of sending this unit away on my expense. Sorry Onkyo, try again.

dsnetcna

Back to top Go down

Post  tommucha Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:48 pm

dsnetcna wrote:Well here is their response from the BBB complaint. Looks like all they always want to do is for you to send it in for repair...

"Please review the warranty, getting the unit into an authorized service center is the responsibility of the consumer. Repair and return are covered by the warranty. There will be no exchange on a product that does not have a service history."

I had to remind them that the tech rep told me that it was a known issue for this problem to happen and I really don't see the justification of sending this unit away on my expense. Sorry Onkyo, try again.

Makes perfect sense to me - if you're "store" warranty is expired (30 days or what not) and you can't go there for an exchange, you have to deal with the mfg's warranty. They have no way of knowing if you're cat uses the AVR as a litter box or if you really have a bad component. I bought mine recently through Amazon, so I can still get a replacement, which I imagine will be quicker than going through a service center.

tommucha

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently Empty What nonsense!

Post  garykmcd Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:01 pm

dsnetcna wrote:Well here is their response from the BBB complaint. Looks like all they always want to do is for you to send it in for repair...

If this is their response, it's absolute nonsense. There is clearly a systemic problem with Panasonic players running through an Onkyo receivers. So their solution is to send the receiver in for "repair"? At the user's expense?

How about just trashing the receiver and going to a company that takes customer service seriously.

CNET.com just gave the BD210 player their top rating. Should consumers not be warned that Panasonic players don't seem to work with Onkyo receivers? Caveat Emptor.

garykmcd

Back to top Go down

Post  dsnetcna Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:59 pm

tommucha- I don't see how this makes sense to you. When the technician tells you that their own receiver cannot fully handle the 1080p stream how is this a repair issue? I did not but a 1080p TV and a receiver that should be capable of 1080p throughput all to watch in 1080i or 720p. I wish I recorded the conversation I had with him now... You all will fall out of your chair for the things he told me.

dsnetcna

Back to top Go down

Post  Altmann Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:58 pm

Whatever, I just bought mine and it's having this problem, I'm just gonna return it. This is not worth the hassle at all. I panned it on newegg, and since I'm the first review on my version, hopefully that gets them to open their eyes. It's not a single receiver that has this issue, it systemic and that's just bad news. That, and the lack of any replies even ACKNOWLEDGING a problem is a real turn off. I will not be recommending onkyo to anyone ever.

If they even said "hey, we know there's a problem, we're looking into it" that would be better. But no, nothing.

Altmann

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:42 am

Hi forum users,

We are currently looking into the issue that you are having and will be trying to duplicate it on our end. Thank you for your patience.
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  dsnetcna Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Altmann, I didn't mean to sound rude to you. I appoligize. I'm glad at least onkyo acknowledges their is a problem. Also, its not like were asking for a higher end receiver to be giving to us. I just want one that works like its advertised to do.

dsnetcna

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently Empty Same as everyone else!!

Post  marcustremonti Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:42 am

I'm having the same problem as everyone else! Used a DVD player with it for a while and it worked fine and then bought a Blu-Ray player and the picture and/or audio cuts out intermittently with no rhyme or reason to it. I also have my USB port cut out with no rhyme or reason either and no one at ONKYO seams to want to help. I'm wishing I bought a DENON or any other product. I'd almost feel bad for selling it to someone else............almost. No

marcustremonti

Back to top Go down

NR509 - Blu-Ray Playback Issues - Audio/video cuts out intermittently Empty Any updates?

Post  tommucha Tue May 08, 2012 6:41 pm

Any updates on this Onkyo support? I missed my return window with the original company I purchased from, and not sure if I should send it in for service. If its a known issue, I would hate to send it in, just to have it come back and happen again.

tommucha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next