NR 717 Help Please?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NR 717 Help Please?

Post  Greg1954 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi. So happy to find these forums. To be brief, I have printed out and have read the compete manual several times. I have spoken with Onkyo tech support who have been great, except for one guy who became irritated when I could not understand. Several years ago I could wire a surround system with my eyes closed; Then I had a stroke. Today when I look at or read anything hi-tech, it all becomes jumbled in my head and I CANNOT figure it out. That's why I am here.

I recently bought the NR 717 and really like it. That evening that I purchased it my wife was in an exceptionally good mood....so I wrangled a Bose 10 system out of her before she lost that loving Feeling. I have looked for these answers in the manual and on line but cannot figure it out.

Is it possible to watch my Hi Def TV without the 717 on, and just listen thru my TV speakers without a lot of work every time ? During the day while working at my desk with the news on the TV in the background, I do not need the receiver/speakers going.

Second, last night while watching a program my listening mode was set to "THX Cinema." Later I changed stations and the listening mode changed by itself to "All speaker stereo." Later, I changed to a 3rd station and my "THX Cinema" mode returned. Is this okay? I am thinking the 717 is reacting to the TV signal coming in, but am not sure.

And what the heck, one more thing: Listening to either stereo FM or TV, my volume must be turned up to at least 55 or so to hear what's playing. Again, I cannot find an answer why it must be so high.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Greg

Greg1954

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NR 717 Help Please?

Post  OnkyoUSA on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Greg1954 wrote:Hi. So happy to find these forums. To be brief, I have printed out and have read the compete manual several times. I have spoken with Onkyo tech support who have been great, except for one guy who became irritated when I could not understand. Several years ago I could wire a surround system with my eyes closed; Then I had a stroke. Today when I look at or read anything hi-tech, it all becomes jumbled in my head and I CANNOT figure it out. That's why I am here.

I recently bought the NR 717 and really like it. That evening that I purchased it my wife was in an exceptionally good mood....so I wrangled a Bose 10 system out of her before she lost that loving Feeling. I have looked for these answers in the manual and on line but cannot figure it out.

Is it possible to watch my Hi Def TV without the 717 on, and just listen thru my TV speakers without a lot of work every time ? During the day while working at my desk with the news on the TV in the background, I do not need the receiver/speakers going.

Second, last night while watching a program my listening mode was set to "THX Cinema." Later I changed stations and the listening mode changed by itself to "All speaker stereo." Later, I changed to a 3rd station and my "THX Cinema" mode returned. Is this okay? I am thinking the 717 is reacting to the TV signal coming in, but am not sure.

And what the heck, one more thing: Listening to either stereo FM or TV, my volume must be turned up to at least 55 or so to hear what's playing. Again, I cannot find an answer why it must be so high.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Greg

We apologize for the customer support experience you recently received and would like some information to further evaluate who assisted you; did the representative present a service ticket number to you? You can reply back to the following email address (onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com) with the time of this call and your contact number so we can research this transcripted call. Now in regards to your questions; (1) YES this receiver is capable of passing the HDMI audio and video signals while the receiver is on STANDBY status. This option to be enabled is called HDMI THRU and it is found in the HOME SETUP> HARDWARE SETUP> HDMI > HDMI THRU option. Enable this option for "LAST" setting and then exit the menu and power down the receiver. You should see a ORANGE light on the front right side of the receiver "HDMI THRU". You should now be able to view and hear the TV program from your TV while the receiver is on STANDBY.

(2) In regards to the second inquiry; this is in regards to the audio format being presented from the source device into the receiver. Have you also made any preset changes in the "LISTENING MODE PRESET" submenu as well for that specified input? You are basically correct; as the incoming audio format was not compatible with the THx Cinema and the receiver reverted to the last valid selection "ALL CHANNEL STEREO".

(3) Lastly; have you already conducted the Audyssey calibration on this receiver? Have you adjusted the settings under LEVEL CALIBRATION and INTELLIVOLUME (for the TV/CD input)? If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
Admin

View user profile http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Thanks so much

Post  Greg1954 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Mr or Miss Moderator: You have my undying appreciation for your help. I have not done the calibration yet..but will in a few days when I can get everyone to turn off the TV's and be Quiet. I have read that the Audessy Calibration works very well.

Actually a few days ago I got the remote and started playing around with the sound options. When I was done I figured I must have screwed up at least one setting so I did the factory Reset. I will look for those two items in # 3 below.

Again, it is really appreciated. ( I hate to say this, but for your request about whom I spoke with...I just do not remember. I got no number or reference from him.) I should not have said anything anyhow as the tech people have always been really good. Perhaps it was just a bad day. It hasn't changed my opinion of Onkyo at all....you guys are still #1. So is Bose...but that's a really long argument that I don't want to get into. lol!

My thanks again.

Greg

Greg1954

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:21 pm

lol! No problem. If you need any further assistance; please contact us via phone, email, or via our Onkyo Forum at forums.onkyousa.com.

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
Admin

View user profile http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum