NR 717 Issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NR 717 Issues

Post  Greg1954 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi. I just connected my NR717 to my Bose 5.1 system, and have quite a few questions about the Onkyo features. I have looked everywhere and cannot find out how to change my center speaker from Narrow to Wide. Of course I do not know what it is set at now. Can anyone tell me how to check this option? Thank You. Greg. confused

Greg1954

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NR 717 Issues

Post  d6500k on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:55 am

Greg, let the audessey setup feature do its job.

Sit back and listen to some of your favorite music or a film.

Then take a few minutes to look at the user manual which offers huge personal variety for what you "want to hear". Make those changes and listen to the same content. Record the parameters set by personal preference and then re run the audessey.

Listen again. One good song should do it. Stay away from selecting among the myriad of adaptations like rock or live or whatever. Stick with thx cinema for example for both music and film.

After that you will hear the difference between an equalized room acoustics scenario and a hit or miss program.

You might very well get lucky with just using personal preferences, some do. But always give the science a chance.

As one that has dialed in THX systems and ISF/ SMPTE protocols in high end systems, I have had to make what to some would be nuance alterations to the findings of most spl/eq measurement systems available in most top tier avr manufacturers. The Audessey system "IMO" is one of the best when fully utilized.

Doug k

d6500k

View user profile http://www.6500kcalibrations.com

Back to top Go down

Great Advice

Post  Greg1954 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm

Thanks Doug. That was just excellent advice. I have gone thru most of the user manual, and although I am 58 years old, and have had many receivers in my life, this one actually has me stumped in many areas. As you said, there are many listening modes, and I am trying to go through them all, and have found the "THX Cinema" to be one of the most pleasing.

Perhaps you could help with one more thing. Last night while watching TV I was using the THX Cinema option. Later I put in a DVD in my blu ray and it played in THX Cinema. Then another DVD I put in and the system changed by itself to "multi Channel". When I went back to TV it changed back to THX Cinema. Could you explain the science behind that? I'm assuming the receiver is choosing the best sound for the type of DVD I am playing?

I will run the setup program and trust the technology.

You have been very, very helpful Doug. You hit the bulls eye - just what I was looking for. Arrow

Thanks !

Greg

Greg1954

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA on Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:23 pm

PLEASE NOTE: THIS FORUM SITE WILL BE DEACTIVATED AND WILL PREVENT YOU FROM POSTING MESSAGES. WE ADVISE YOU TO REGISTER ONTO OUR NEW FORUM SITE: http://forums.onkyousa.com/ WITH YOUR EMAIL, MODEL AND SERIAL NUMBER OF YOUR RECEIVER. AS WE WILL NO LONGER REVIEW THIS FORUM EFFECTIVE TODAY.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
Admin

View user profile http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top