Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-SR876: Wii/PS2 poor video

2 posters

Go down

TX-SR876: Wii/PS2 poor video Empty TX-SR876: Wii/PS2 poor video

Post  CptKirk Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:05 pm

SR876 HDMI (Main) -> Panasonic TC-P50S2 (SR876 output set to 1080p)

Great video - HDTV SageTV HD300 HDMI -> SR876 HDMI
Great video - Sony PS3 HDMI -> SR876 HDMI
Great video - Panasonic DMP-BD65 Blueray HDMI -> SR876 HDMI

Poor video - Sony PS2 -> SR876 S-Video
Bad video - Wii (480i) -> SR876 Composite

All of the HDMI to HDMI connections look great.

Not having good luck with the PS2 or Wii though. I've tried different settings for them: 1080p, pass through, etc, no differences.

Is this just a known issue with these old game boxes?

Any work arounds or settings that I may just be missing?

I have ordered a component cable for the Wii so I can at least set it's output to 480p. That's the best it can do.

Any help would be appreciated.

CptKirk

Back to top Go down

TX-SR876: Wii/PS2 poor video Empty Re: TX-SR876: Wii/PS2 poor video

Post  Hastor Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Do they look better if connected directly to the TV vs passing through the receiver? 480i/p gaming isn't going to look that great blown up to a large HD screen to begin with. Also ensure the Wii is set to 16x9 in the system settings, with the screen set to 16x9 as well, and that when using the PS2, you are using a 4x3 view. The stretching/squishing can affect the quality of the picture.

All that aside, I use a TX-NR717, and the Wii does not look as good when passing through it and outputting as HDMI. It looks a bit softer and out of focus. So I just bypass the receiver and send my Wii's video to a separate input on the TV, and just run the audio to the receiver. When using it on the receiver, I also experience a very slight delay. Most people probably wouldn't notice, but I don't feel that my controller is as 'locked on' to the cursor on the screen when moving it around. I blame this on the time to convert the analog signal to digital. It doesn't matter if I output as 480p or 1080p, I get the slight lag, and a slightly softer picture. It isn't terrible by any means, but certainly not as crisp. When connecting the Wii directly to the TV using component cables, I can identify single pixels. Not so when running it through the receiver, it is all slightly smudged together.

Hastor

Back to top Go down