Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Listening Mode on TX-SR608

2 posters

Go down

Listening Mode on TX-SR608 Empty Listening Mode on TX-SR608

Post  Onk603 Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:43 pm

I have a question on how to setup listening mode on TX-SR608. The following is my hardware connection:

Blu ray player -> TX-SR608 -> 7.1 speakers

My blu ray player has DTS Master feature. I connect player to receiver with HDMI cable on HDMI 1, and set this as BD/DVD. What I want is when I play a blu ray disc with 5.1 output, I can hear different output from each speaker. I have done the speaker calibration with the mic coming with the receiver. I have played with different listening mode on the receiver. But I feel I only have a stereo output (only from two front speakers), and "PCM" always displays on the screen of the receiver. How to setup the receiver to have 5.1 or 7.1 output?

Thanks

Onk603

Back to top Go down

Listening Mode on TX-SR608 Empty Re: Listening Mode on TX-SR608

Post  d6500k Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:52 am

Check the setup menu of the bd player itself. It may be defaulting to PCM output. Once confirmed that the player itself is set correctly, check the audio out on the disk that you are playing. Some disks also default to pcm but have dts or other formats available in the disks audio setup menu.

Confirm by pressing "display" while your remote is in the receiver mode to confirm via onscreen display what you are listening to.

Doug k

d6500k

http://www.6500kcalibrations.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Onk603 Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Thanks Doug, this really helped very much.

The Audio (HDMI) option on my BD player was set at Auto (Auto or PCM). I played a disc and selected 5.1 DTS Master. On TV screen, it displays as "Input: Multich PCM 48kHz, 5.1ch". So I think the output from BD player is right. In this case, what is the best listening mode for listening the original 5.1 ch recording, Direct, Multich Direct?

Some of my Blu Ray discs shows PCM2.0 or DTS HD Master Audio on the disc holder. But when I play the disc, there is no audio set up on TV, and BD player just plays PCM 2.0. I have Sony BDP-S390 player. Should there be a way to play DTS 5.1ch for such discs?

The last question: I have done the speaker calibration, and want to increase the volume of side speakers. Is there a way to do it?

Again, thanks for your time.

Onk603

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:50 am

Question 1: I'd use either and if i remember correctly they would be the same.

Question 2: select the dts master on the disk menu. The avr should if audio is set to direct then output the lossless codec of the dts program. Again you can confirm this with the use of the display button in rec. mode on the Onkyo remote as long as the datastream if through the avr to the TV. The TV will not decode the dts signal. I hope I understood your question on this one.

Question 3: if you have run the audessey program and used the single point quick setup option you might want to rerun the setup with three listening positions. The first in the middle of the primary and secondary positions, then the primary followed by the secondary. Let the calculation finish and try listening to the film again. Take into consideration that the surround ambience channels are just for that. They will/should only emit sound when there is program content directed to them.
If you wish to verify that the audessey has correctly set the output levels you can have the avr set to manual and while test tones are present, use an spl meter (radio shack has them for about 35$) and set the levels with the meter. I have found that after running audessey, checking with my spl has confirmed that audessey program works well. Very minimal changes were nearly impossible to discern.

Good luck and have some fun!

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  Onk603 Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 pm

Again, appreciated your info.

Regarding question 2, I have a few Blu ray discs showing Audio Format of PCM 2.0 or DTS Master 5.1 on their plastic covers. But there is no Audio setup manu when the disc is played, and the output is PCM2.0 from BD player. I just wonder do you have any way to have 5.1 output for such discs?

Onk603

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:16 am

I've noticed that a few bd disks purport to having 5/7.1 PCM or master audio losseless codecs, yet none are available when you search the disks menu.

There usually always has been although, the option of 5.1 DD or dts.

If you are checking the output with your receiver and see only 2.0 PCM, I'd go to the bd maker and ask them what's up.

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down