Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking to purchase HT-RC460, Question about Speaker OHMs

2 posters

Go down

Looking to purchase HT-RC460, Question about Speaker OHMs Empty Looking to purchase HT-RC460, Question about Speaker OHMs

Post  keiski Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:13 am

I have some 3 ohm speakers, they sound great... but my old receiver died.

Alot of the information I've found about speakers and their impedance speaks about 4 and 8 ohm speakers typically.

I know that most of these receivers have settings that you can change the impedance.

All 5 of my speakers are 3 ohm.

Just curious if i can safely use these speakers with this receiver.

Also, if you have some time for education... while i am looking at the specifications for your recievers what should i be looking at to know if it can adequately handle these speakers and what kind of wattage output i can expect from the receiver at a particular ohm?

Dynamic Power 180 W (3 ohms, 1 ch)
160 W (4 ohms, 1 ch)
100 W (8 ohms, 1 ch)

That hints to me that it might be okay... but for example:
Front L/R 80 W (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,
0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
125 W + 125 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%,
2 channels driven, FTC)

That makes makes me think that it would not be acceptable and the front L or R speakers should be exactly 8 ohms to work properly.

Thanks so much!

keiski

Back to top Go down

Looking to purchase HT-RC460, Question about Speaker OHMs Empty Re: Looking to purchase HT-RC460, Question about Speaker OHMs

Post  OnkyoUSA Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Unfortunately, this receiver will not be able to accomodate 3 ohm speakers with this unit. The lowest speaker impedance allowed by this receiver is 6 ohms- as higher end models have a configuration setting for either 4 or 6 ohm speaker impedance for the receiver. Impedance ratings lower than 6 ohms are NOT supported with North American Onkyo units. If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down