Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has the latest firmware fixed the hdmi video out problem

+3
rem700
OnkyoUSA
westielover
7 posters

Go down

Has the latest firmware fixed the hdmi video out problem Empty Has the latest firmware fixed the hdmi video out problem

Post  westielover Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:01 am

I would like to purchase the TS-NR 616 or 515 but am very discouraged after reading all of the problems your customers have been having with the hdmi video out. Apparently they have to pull the plug and then replug the receiver to correct the problem. I have tried to see how current the dates have been on this problem and I know that within the last few months there has been a new firmware update.

My question is this. Has this update fixed the problem? Or is the problem continuing. Your answer and frank assesment would be appreciated.

westielover

Back to top Go down

Has the latest firmware fixed the hdmi video out problem Empty Re: Has the latest firmware fixed the hdmi video out problem

Post  OnkyoUSA Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:01 pm

As shown in recent forum postings dating from October 2012; many A/V installers and customer have expressed their satisfaction with the release of the new firmware update. Many of our authoirzed dealers (i.e. AMAZON, NEWEGG, etc.) have customer reviews praising the resolvement of the HDMI VIDEO ISSUES as well. When doing the firmware update- please attempt the update twice- as the second update will implement the latest firmware version. As many customers expressed they were assure the firmware update was current, many have found this was not so. If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Has the latest firmware fixed the hdmi video out problem Empty Re: Has the latest firmware fixed the hdmi video out problem

Post  rem700 Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:19 pm

westielover:
I bought the TX-NR616 from Newegg.com on the 21st of November. It was here on that Friday... Kinda an early Christmas present to myself (... and family :-) ) I was well aware of the history of this model and was taking a gamble buying it. I hadn't heard any real major chatter on this forum about the problem persisting after applying the latest update. So crossed my fingers, hoped for the best, bought the extra Newegg 1-year warranty, and bought the sucker.

As soon as I got it, I applied the latest firmware from this site (qqq.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR616&class=Receiver&p=d) (new members can't post URLs so replace the qqq with www) via USB and noticed that I *DO* get HDMI blackout (still, inspite of the update). My current firmware on my TX-NR616 is: 1141-0108-0400. The "OnkyoUSA" message said to apply the firmware twice because there are times when it needs to be done. So, I'll re-download the firmware from this site and re-apply.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll post the results.

rem700

rem700

Back to top Go down

Post  DADEO Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Anxiously waiting for your results. My money is burning a hole in my pocket. I really want this receiver.

DADEO

Back to top Go down

Has the latest firmware fixed the hdmi video out problem Empty No Joy

Post  rem700 Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Looks like I'm on the most current firmware already - or at least the firmware on the USB stick matches the firmware on the unit. The receiver won't allow me to update; just reports the firmware version. ugh.

rem700

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyByNgt Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Just my two cents,

If the firmware update seems not to fix the problem AFTER you have done the complete update UNPLUG THE POWER CORD and leave it out for exactly 5 mins. Then while plugging in hold the POWER/STANDBY button.. give it a few then turn on the receiver. You will NOT have to redue all your settings.. it will hold them all with the unplugging of the unit.

I had many problems and once I did this my TX-NR717 has been working flawless since!! Love that ONKYO SOUND! cheers

Hope all goes well. Let me know if this helps... it is all that has worked for me.

Ciao, FlyByNgt 11-25-12 7:46pm EST
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

Post  rem700 Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 pm

TX-NR616
Firmware: 1141-0108-0400

Didn't notice anything.

I unplugged the unit, waited six minutes. Depressed the "ON/Standby" button and held it (on the face of the unit, not the remote) and plugged the cord back into the surge protector. The unit powered on as normal. Nothing was displayed on the monitor (HDMI primary out), nothing on the display of the unit. Held it in for 90 seconds.

Did I do anything wrong?

rem700

Back to top Go down

Post  FlyByNgt Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:03 am

Nothing will be displayed. Doing this causes a soft boot which corrected my problem. Have not had one since. Is your issues still going on as far as you can see so far? That is where my change was. No more video and sound flashing in n out.. or the dreaded no signal. It has been a few weeks and not one issue.

Sorry if it did not work. Just trying to help a fellow forum member. Let us know if your issues persist.

Sad
FlyByNgt
FlyByNgt

Back to top Go down

Post  rem700 Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Looks like the soft reset (unplug unit, hold power button, plug in, continue to hold for 90 seconds) hasn't changed anything. I'm going to RMA the unit. It doesn't happen very frequently, maybe once a day (?), but for a brand new receiver it shouldn't be doing that. I'd live with it if I got it used off CL or something.

Rem700

rem700

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Hello rem700;

We would like some information from those afflicted with this issue to provide the following data for further research:

• Make/model of source device(s):

• Does this happen with all sources? If not, which one(s)?

• Make/model and length of HDMI cables/extenders/etc :

• When does this happen (always at initial power on, when switching sources, while watching a particular source, combination)?

• Make/model of TV/ Projector:

• Approximately how often does this happen (1 out of 10 times, etc)?

• How many times has this happened?

• How long has the unit been installed?

• What is the exact firmware version (check by going to FW update via the "Home" button on the remote)?

• What is the HDMI Monitor Out setting (Auto, THRU, etc)?

• Are you using HDMI OUT MAIN or SUB?

• What is the Picture Mode (Custom, Cinema, Through, Direct, etc)?

• Is HDMI Control (RIHD) On or Off (look in Hardware Setup-> HDMI)?

• Is HDMI THRU On or Off (look in Hardware Setup-> HDMI)?

• Is Net Standby On or Off ((look in Hardware Setup-> Network)?

• What is the Incoming and Outgoing video resolution (press the Display Button on the front panel until it shows both… should be something like "1080p/60 -> 1080p/60")

We appreciate all responses and look forward to resolving this issue promptly. Thank you again for your patronage, patience, and cooperation.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rem700 Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 pm

Onkyo Support:

So what's going on is sometimes the screen blanks out but audio keeps going, but lately it's been the top half of the screen is displaying artifacts, all green and the bottom half is the video playing with minor artifacts but correct colors.

To answer your questions:
HTPC - video card: nVidia 8600 GTS drivers 306.97
Connection on video card: DVI-I
Cable: PC Side: DVI-D, AVR side: HDMI

Only have one source (HTPC)

ExtremeHD 2m DVI to HDMI cable
(Part number XHD-2MHDV-00)

• When does this happen (always at initial power on, when switching sources, while watching a particular source, combination)?
Happens when watching 720p X264/H264 content in an MKV. Audio is DD. Happens also when video content is 1080p H264 with audio of DD 5.1

Samsung 55", 630 series 1080p LCD HDTV. Model LN55C630K1FXZA

Approx. once a day. Sometimes more. Can't predict when. TV gets used a lot during the day.

I've had this receiver in operation since 11/23/2012 - today is 11/27/2012. The HDMI "no source" or screen artifacting has happened maybe a dozen times. In one particular show it happened every 3 or 4 minutes until I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in. Then it didn't happen again till the next day.

4 days

• What is the exact firmware version (check by going to FW update via the "Home" button on the remote)?
1141-0108-0400

Monitor out: Main
Resolution: Auto

MAIN

Wide Mode: Auto
Picture Mode: Direct

HDMI Control (RHID): Off

HDMI Through: Off

Network Standby: Off

• What is the Incoming and Outgoing video resolution (press the Display Button on the front panel until it shows both… should be something like "1080p/60 -> 1080p/60")
[Video] PC XBMC
INPUT :HDMI5 RGB 24 bit
1920 X 1080 24 Hz
Output HDMI Main RGB 24 bit
1920 X 1080 24 Hz
Direct

** for 24 Hz content, I keep it at 24Hz (BluRay, etc). For 60Hz content I keep at 60Hz

rem700

Back to top Go down

Has the latest firmware fixed the hdmi video out problem Empty Firmware Forced Update

Post  rem700 Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Is a forced update via USB a recommended practice or will I get myself into *potentially* more trouble?

Forced Firmware Update from USB:
https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com/t1717-frirmware-update?highlight=forced+update

rem700

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:58 pm

rem700 wrote:Onkyo Support:

So what's going on is sometimes the screen blanks out but audio keeps going, but lately it's been the top half of the screen is displaying artifacts, all green and the bottom half is the video playing with minor artifacts but correct colors.

To answer your questions:
HTPC - video card: nVidia 8600 GTS drivers 306.97
Connection on video card: DVI-I
Cable: PC Side: DVI-D, AVR side: HDMI

Only have one source (HTPC)

ExtremeHD 2m DVI to HDMI cable
(Part number XHD-2MHDV-00)

Happens when watching 720p X264/H264 content in an MKV. Audio is DD. Happens also when video content is 1080p H264 with audio of DD 5.1

Samsung 55", 630 series 1080p LCD HDTV. Model LN55C630K1FXZA

Approx. once a day. Sometimes more. Can't predict when. TV gets used a lot during the day.

I've had this receiver in operation since 11/23/2012 - today is 11/27/2012. The HDMI "no source" or screen artifacting has happened maybe a dozen times. In one particular show it happened every 3 or 4 minutes until I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in. Then it didn't happen again till the next day.

4 days

1141-0108-0400

Monitor out: Main
Resolution: Auto

MAIN

Wide Mode: Auto
Picture Mode: Direct

HDMI Control (RHID): Off

HDMI Through: Off

Network Standby: Off

[Video] PC XBMC
INPUT :HDMI5 RGB 24 bit
1920 X 1080 24 Hz
Output HDMI Main RGB 24 bit
1920 X 1080 24 Hz
Direct

** for 24 Hz content, I keep it at 24Hz (BluRay, etc). For 60Hz content I keep at 60Hz

I have noticed you are using a HDMI-to-DVI adapter; and as we don't support this usage because of the effect you are experiencing. If this issue is NOT present when using HDMI to TV/ projector- this would demonstrate that the DVI adapter is the cause. I have also forwarded this information to our on-site Engineer and await his assessment as well.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rem700 Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:01 pm

I already have a new video card, native HDMI output, on it's way. C'mon UPS! Hurry it up. Once I get that new card, also with HDMI audio bit streaming, working, I'll post the results.

rem700

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:53 pm

Ok- I await the results and will assist you further with this issue.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Has the latest firmware fixed the hdmi video out problem Empty Having the same problems as REM700 on NR-616 Receiver

Post  drinaldi84 Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:33 pm

Onkyo, I am having the same problem as user REM700 on the NR616 Receiver. I get HDMI audio out of my receiver and surround sound speakers but no Video to any of my HDMI inputs other than my XBox. I get sound and video to my xbox from the receiver to my projector. However, when I use Netflix on my XBOX it creates the same problem with sound and no video.

I agree with REM700 a new unit like this should never do this. I bought this unit on the concept that the new firmware update would fix everything and it hasn't. I have hooked everything up as you have specified and still the same problem for 5 days in a row. I get no Video on my comcast cable box or PS3. And also have intermittent audio coming in and out on those devices.

Please Help, if I can't get help tonight I will have to return it.

drinaldi84

Back to top Go down

Post  ace22286 Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:55 pm

I am getting same problem with my HT-R580 unit? whats going on? is there a firmware update for mine or am i just out of luck. I have had it just long enough for it to go out of warrenty but that seems a little cheap if I have to expect to buy a new receiver every year or two...

ace22286

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:33 pm

In regards to your issue- it would possibly be more effective to contact our Product Support Dept. for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, with you having access to your unit, as prompt as possible. Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to further determine if any issue will require your receiver to be further evaluated at an authorized Onkyo service center for warranty servicing.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rem700 Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Onkyo:
Yesterday I installed the new video card with HDMI and pass-through audio. Haven't had a glitch yet but it's only been a few hours. Also Removed the optical IN. I've also added a Roku streamer to the 616 at STB/DVR HDMI in. No issues yet but I'll post when/if the errors surface again. Hopefully the previous issue of occasionally blanking out was due to the DVI-I interface of the old video card. (?)

Keeping my fingers crossed.

rem700

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down