TX-NR515 Zone 2 Confusion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TX-NR515 Zone 2 Confusion

Post  dasadab on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:20 pm

I just bought this receiver and updated the firmware to the latest version via USB. I bought the receiver believing that it could power directly two speakers wired in a different room and maintain 5.1 in the home theater room. In the setup menu, if I activate Zone 2, my rear surround speakers in main room are made unavailable. My home theater system is a 5.1 (center, 2 fronts, 2 rear and a powered sub). When I activate Zone 2, my home theater system is limited to 2.1. Is this right? All I want to do is have 5.1 home theater in one room and be able to listen to the Zone 2 stereo speakers in the other room---not at the same time. It seems that the only way I can do this is by first going into the setup menu every time and turning on Zone 2. Then to watch a movie, I have to go into setup again and turn off zone 2!!! Is this true?

dasadab

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TX-NR515 Zone 2 Confusion

Post  OnkyoUSA on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:23 pm

The TX-NR 515 will operate as a 5.1 surround sound in the MAIN listening area and also provide a POWERED ZONE 2 (2.0 speaker output) for your SECONDARY listening area as well. When using POWERED ZONE 2; the receiver will disable the SURR BACK speakers- so you will revert down to 5.1 output (FRONT L + R, CENTER, SURR L + R). Your speakers should be connected in the following format if initially using a 5.1 speaker setup:

- FRONT L+R
- CENTER
- SURR L + R

(if using a 7.1 speaker setup: you'd add the SURR BACK L + R speakers to this setup- so when using POWERED ZONE 2; these speakers will be disabled for ZONE 2 usage).

It seems you have wired your speaker connections into SURR BACK instead of SURR for your main listening area. Replace the speaker wirings and this should resolve your issue. If you have any more questions or concerns, Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (800-229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT 24 hours a day). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
Admin

View user profile http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top