Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Static through subwoofer on TX NR818

2 posters

Go down

Static through subwoofer on TX NR818 Empty Static through subwoofer on TX NR818

Post  The_Chemist Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:00 am

I just received my new TX NR818 today. I set it up and am having one problem. Before I did anything though, I updated to the latest firmware via USB.

The receiver appears awesome, except for one small problem, or is it a big problem?

I am getting low volume static through the subwoofer channel. I have an Onkyo 10" powered sub and have used it with other receivers with no problem whatsoever.

I first noticed this when playing vinyl and just thought it was record noise. I then listened on other sources an it was there as well.

The noise kind of sounds like it could be capacitors that are bad.

I disconnected the sub from the 818 and pluged it into my Denon AVR3313ci and it was completely silent. It's not the sub, it's the 818 putting out the noise.

You can switch to any source and the static is present, especially noticeable when no dialogue or source material is playing.

Anybody know why this is happening. Could it be bad capacitors?

Help!
The_Chemist
The_Chemist

Back to top Go down

Static through subwoofer on TX NR818 Empty Re: Static through subwoofer on TX NR818

Post  OnkyoUSA Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:07 pm

Under the SPEAKER CONFIGURATION and LEVEL CALIBRATION submenus of the receiver; what are the current settings for the SUBWOOFER? Have you also already conducted the Audyssey calibration on this receiver as well? In regards to your issue- it would possibly be more effective to contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, with you having access to your unit, as prompt as possible. Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Static through subwoofer on TX NR818 Empty Re: Static through subwoofer on TX NR818

Post  The_Chemist Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:05 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Under the SPEAKER CONFIGURATION and LEVEL CALIBRATION submenus of the receiver; what are the current settings for the SUBWOOFER? Have you also already conducted the Audyssey calibration on this receiver as well? In regards to your issue- it would possibly be more effective to contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, with you having access to your unit, as prompt as possible. Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator

I did not connect anything until I first updated the firmware to the latest version.

I then made all connections and ran Audyssey. I set the sub level to 75 db as required and ran 6 calibration tests. I then let the 818 calculate and saved the settings.

The system sounds very good except for the fact that there is static coming from the sub. As I said in my previous post, I tested the Onkyo sub on another receiver (Denon AVR3313ci) and no such problem exists.

I had a 515 and 717 before this 818 receiver and no problem like this on either one of them with the same sub.

When using the phono input the noise is louder than any other input. I assume because of the added MM preamp.

The static gets louder on any input as the volume level is turned up. It sounds similar to an old mechanical input selector that needs cleaned. I checked all connections and grounds. I even routed the cable to the sub seperatly so that it could not pick up stray RF or electromagnetic fields from any AC or the like.

While the firmware was writing to the 818, I could hear a faint 60 cycle zzzzzzz sound on and off inside the 818, so I'm thinking it may be a bad cap or something like that. I tried a different sub cable as well.

I'll call tech support when I get home from work today and see what they have to say.

I love this receiver. The video processor appears to be much faster than in my Denon as I get barely any lip sync issues at all where as the Denon I have to delay audio substantially for the same sources.

Thanks
The_Chemist
The_Chemist

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Chemist Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:29 pm

I called Onkyo Tech Support this evening. After some troubleshooting, the gentleman to whom I spoke determined that my TX-NR818 had a hardware defect. I was instructed to take it back to the place of purchase for an exchange.

My new 818 is due next Wednesday.

Hopefully the new 818 won't have issues...
The_Chemist
The_Chemist

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:15 pm

We apologize for the issue you are experiencing with your receiver and hope the issue is resolved when you receive your new receiver. Please update us on the forum on any issues or inquiries you may have have on your new receiver.

Best Regards;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Chemist Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:We apologize for the issue you are experiencing with your receiver and hope the issue is resolved when you receive your new receiver. Please update us on the forum on any issues or inquiries you may have have on your new receiver.

Best Regards;

Forum Moderator

Thank You, I appreciate your concern. I should have the new receiver early to mid week, next week. I'll post back then.
The_Chemist
The_Chemist

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Chemist Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:45 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:We apologize for the issue you are experiencing with your receiver and hope the issue is resolved when you receive your new receiver. Please update us on the forum on any issues or inquiries you may have have on your new receiver.

Best Regards;

Forum Moderator

I received the new TX-NR818 today. First, I updated to the latest firmware, then made all my connections and ran the Audyssey calibration. So far I am happy to report that there is no static through the subwoofer output. The first unit that I had was definitely defective. In fact this unit is much quieter than the first.

Everything that I have tested so far is working quite well.
The_Chemist
The_Chemist

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:59 pm

In regards to your issue- it would possibly be more effective to contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, with you having access to your unit, as prompt as possible. Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Chemist Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:02 am

OnkyoUSA wrote:In regards to your issue- it would possibly be more effective to contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue, with you having access to your unit, as prompt as possible. Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Sunday 24 hours a day: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator

No need to contact customer support. I returned the first TX-NR818.. Within two business days Best Buy had a new replacement TX-NR818 unit for me. This one works without any issues.

The first 818 just slipped through quality control. Not an issue with the new one...yet!
The_Chemist
The_Chemist

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Glad to read this has been resolved by the replacement of the subwoofer and you are not experiencing any issues currently. If you have any more questions or concerns , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday - Sunday 24 hours a day EST: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Chemist Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 pm

OnkyoUSA wrote:Glad to read this has been resolved by the replacement of the subwoofer and you are not experiencing any issues currently. If you have any more questions or concerns , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday - Sunday 24 hours a day EST: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator

The subwoofer was not replaced as there was nothing wrong with it. The problem was a defective TX-NR818. Best buy replaced it for me. The new 818 is fine so far...
The_Chemist
The_Chemist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down