Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR717 speaker setup

2 posters

Go down

TX-NR717 speaker setup Empty TX-NR717 speaker setup

Post  speakerlover Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi,
I am new and please excuse me if this has been asked before. I just bought a NR 717 receiver and wonder if I can get help about speaker setup. The manual indicates I can set up as many as 11 speakers (P12), but states at the same time that front high, front wide and surround but cannot be used at once. My questions are:
1. Does this mean I can only any one of the three, but not two or all of the three? If this is so, why the manual lists the possibility of 11 speakers and lists all three at once as a possible setup?
2. If I bi-amp the front speakers (which use front and front high connections), can I still use surround back?
The manual is not as straight forward as it should be about this, and your help is highly appreciated. Thanks

Speakerlover

speakerlover

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 speaker setup Empty Re: TX-NR717 speaker setup

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:58 pm

This is because the TX-NR 717 is a 7.2 surround system- with the options to use a 7.2 speaker setup in a few various positions:

- FRONT L + R
- CENTER
-SURR L + R
- SURR BACK L + R
-1 or 2 subwoofers

or

- FRONT L + R
- CENTER
-SURR L + R
- FRONT HIGH L + R
- 1 or 2 subwoofers

or

- FRONT L + R
- CENTER
-SURR L + R
- FRONT WIDE L + R

so you have either one of these configuration options based on your listening preference and layout of your listening area. The only feasible way to drive up to a 11 speaker configuration would be to employ the use of external amps to drive the multiple speaker channels and use the PRE-OUT terminals of the receiver. Now in regards to your 2nd question; when employing the Bi-amp feature of this receiver- the receiver will only then allow up a 5.1 speaker playbackand disengages the SURR BACK speaker channels and PRE-OUTS. Using bi-amp- you will only get the use of the following speakers:

-FRONT L + R and FRONT HI L + R (for bi-amping)
- CENTER
- SURR L + R

The use of SURR BACK and/ or FRONT WIDE speakers are disabled when bi-amping is enabled- this is why you will NOT hear any audio output from those speaker channels. If you have any more questions or concerns , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Friday 9am to 8pm EST/ Saturday- Sunday 10am to 4pm EST: (800) 229-1687; option #3 PRODUCT SUPPORT). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Cordially;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 speaker setup Empty TX-NR717 speaker setup

Post  speakerlover Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:21 pm

I truly appreciate the prompt reply. The detailed answers addressed most of my questions. I just have one follow-up:

If I use either of these two setups, can I still use the PRE-OUT to connect powered surround back speakers? The answers I was given seem to suggest this is NOT possible, but I'd appreciate a confirmation:

1. bi-amp the front speakers:
-FRONT L + R and FRONT HI L + R (for bi-amping)
- CENTER
- SURR L + R
- 1 or 2 subwoofers

2. - FRONT L + R
- CENTER
-SURR L + R
- FRONT HIGH L + R
- 1 or 2 subwoofers

Thanks.

speakerlover

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm

No on both options; as option # 1 will only allow 5.1 speaker output at maximum due to the implementation of bi-amping your FRONT speaker channels. Option #2 is already using a 7.1 speaker configuration; so the PRE-OUTS for SURR BACK will also be disabled in place the FRONT HIGH speaker channel output. If you were to use the "SURR L + R" PRE-OUTS onto an external amplifier and align the speakers for SURR L + R, SURR BACK L + R, and FRONT HIGH L + R- this would be possible. As the TX-NR 717 will drive a 5.1 speaker configuration and the external amp (if powerly equipped) can drive the extra 6 speaker channels (SURR L + R, SURR BACK L + R, and FRONT HIGH).

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down