letter faxed to onkyo corporate re: tx-nr616 problems

Post  hodell on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:56 pm

September 15, 2012

Onkyo, USA Corporation
18 Park Way
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
Fax 201-785-2650

Dear Onkyo,

Over the years I have purchased a number of your consumer products including home theater speaker systems and home theater receivers including the TX-SR707, which I still own. I have generally been satisfied with my choices that involved your products, even though the 707 still doesn’t hand-shake with the Sony television that it is connected to in one of my systems. Not a deal-breaker, just a nuisance.

When your 2012 lineup of new receivers was announced I took the time to review the specs for each model and I was impressed with the apparent value of the line considering the price points for each. I finally settled on the TX-NR616 since it offered the features that I wanted at a price I could afford. I committed to a pre-release order with Amazon and waited for release and shipment. I eventually received a better price at another authorized Onkyo dealer and I received the receiver on May 8, 2012. I am still waiting for it to perform as advertised.

In the last four months I and many others have attempted to conduct reasonable conversations with your staff by email, phone and in your product support forum. As of today, we still have receivers that do not perform to advertised specifications. The list of issues is well documented in your forum and other across the internet, so I won’t take the time to even go into each specific issue.

The real failure here is the attitude and policy of Onkyo toward those of us that have spend hundreds of dollars in a good-faith effort to buy a consumer electronics product that we have every expectation to perform to specifications.

The attitude of your forum moderators to our sincere and honest attempts to get our 616 receivers performing at spec range from mildly patronizing to complete and willful avoidance. Check for yourself how many posts go unanswered related to this receiver.

My effort to assist, including taking an hour to record and post data to a list of questions asked by your forum administrator on August 27 is still without any response. Emails to support from June are still not answered. You just need to review the posts in the forums to see similar postings relating to treatment of Onkyo owners seeking what they paid for in their products.

As an example, to have a forum moderator state that “The issues on the TX-NR515 and TX-NR616 were experienced by a very small number of consumers (less than .3%)”, besides being difficult to believe, is patronizing and reflects the attitude within your forum that you don’t take us seriously. .3 percent of a run of 10,000 units is 30 defective receivers. Would you like to guess how many more than 30 515 and 616 owners have posted problems in your forum assuming you have even sold 10,000 units since release? If you use a number like that, why don’t you also post how many units could be impacted?

If the product is defective, either in early production runs like mine or across production, you have an obligation to recall and replace these units if you don’t have a viable solution that brings these up to advertised specifications. You also have an obligation to address whatever issues are present in a reasonable amount of time. I think most of us think four months is more than reasonable.

I am requesting that you replace my unit with a unit that performs to advertised specifications or replace it with a unit of higher value from the 2012 product line that performs to advertised specifications. In absence of that, I am requesting to have my entire purchase price refunded to me plus compensation for my time and effort to repair this unit.

Sincerely

(removed)

hodell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: letter faxed to onkyo corporate re: tx-nr616 problems

Post  OnkyoUSA on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:35 pm

I wanted to apologize on behalf of Onkyo for the customer experience and servicing issues you have recently experienced with the lengthy servicing time to rectify this issue. We always want to provide exceptional products and strive to match our craftsmanship with outstanding customer service and support. We greatly apologize for the issue you endured and hope we can be of greater assistance to you regarding any unforeseen future servicing issues you experience with our products.

We are aware of the issue you are currently experiencing and are diligently working to resolve this issue for our many customers afflicted. Please check our Press Release for any updated information regarding the resolution and announcement of any firmware updates for your model receiver. We would like to speak with you regarding this issue- please provide a suitable timeframe to contact you via PM.

Thank You again for your patience and cooperation regarding this issue;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
Admin

View user profile http://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 pm

Hello Mr. Hodell;

Have you contacted our Product Support department regarding this issue? I have searched for any correspondence showing you have contacted the department and have not found any service tickets created currently. I have also submitted a PM to your attention and tried contacting you yesterday and today via phone call. I recently left a detailed message to your voicemail. Please contact the Product Support department and advise that you have been contacted by the Forum Moderator regarding this issue.

If you have any more questions or concerns , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Friday 9am- 8pm/ Saturdays and Sundays 10am- 4pm EST). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hodell on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:16 am

Thank you for calling. i returned your call yesterday at 6 p.m. I received your voicemail and left my return number.

The reason there is no service ticket is because no one answered my emails, as stated in my letter to Onkyo. I did post answers to the questions posted here on August 27 and I heard nothing back. Contacting Product Support again will not fix this unit - we all know that. This is a documented, wide spread series of issues with this model and playing the service game isn't going to solve any of these issues.

As stated in my letter to Onkyo i either want my 616 replaced with one that works, replace it with the next higher unit in the 2012 line that works or return my investment in the receiver and compensation for the time i have wasted trying to get this working.

I realize this isn't the forum moderator's fault these units don't work. But, after 4 months I want something that does work. I think everyone with these units and problems is feeling the same frustrations. I am trying to be patient, but, it is time to do the right thing.

Feel free to call me back and we can discuss. I do appreciate your call, now lets get this resolved.

Thank You -- chuck

hodell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OnkyoUSA on Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:59 pm

As just confirmed from our phone call; we are actively working to resolve this issue and will be contacting you back shortly.

Thank you for your time, patience, and cooperation;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top