Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing"

+2
maa42
techgrad03
6 posters

Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing"

Post  techgrad03 Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Brand new TX-NR717 from Amazon. Everything set up like a breeze until I tried to set up the UWF-1 wireless LAN adapter that I purchased. Switched to front USB and it said "now initializing". It just keeps trying but never gets anywhere. I have waited for 5+ minutes and it just keeps streaming "now initializing" across the screen. I have tried with the UWF-1 plugged in and not plugged in. Does same thing on the rear USB.

I had not updated firmware, so decided to give that a shot. No ethernet in basement, so downloaded docs to a USB jump drive. My jump drive has a light on to indicate signal with the computer/device. Light doesnt even come on when I plug into front USB. Again, streams "now initializing" with the drive plugged in or not. Try on the back and at least the light comes on the usb drive, but again, "now initializing" is all I get.

Any ideas? Do I have a bad receiver? Anything else for me to try?

Thanks in advance...

techgrad03

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty Same problem

Post  maa42 Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:50 am

How was it fixed?

maa42

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty NR717 initializing issue

Post  gnath Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 am

I've had the exact same issue last night. Everything worked well, except for setting up the wireless connection. Curious to know how to get past this issue.

gnath

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty follow-up questions

Post  techgrad03 Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:05 am

For maa42 or gnath - did yours ever work? Is it just the wireless not working or are the usb ports themselves not initializing?

techgrad03

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty Returning it back to amazon

Post  maa42 Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:15 am

I went through all the steps with Onkyo customer service. I was told to return it at this point.

I tried factory reset, multiple attepts at setup, firmware update via eternet and usb (clearly would not work since thats whats defective).

Sucks but the unit still works for cable and non usb music. I'll enjoy that till the new one arrives.

maa42

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty Re: TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing"

Post  OnkyoUSA Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:42 am

We appreciate your patience and understanding; but in regards to your issue- have you tried unplugging the receiver for approx 3-5 minutes to do a SOFT RESET of the receiver's internal video processor? You will NOT lose any setting doing so, but sometimes- while your cable/ satellite set top box is updating itself overnight- it sometimes interferes with the video processor and blanks it out. Unplugging the receiver for a moment should bring the video signal back to the TV.

If after trying this the unit still doesn't respond and cycle to full functionality- try doing a factory reset. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR AUDIO & VIDEO ASSIGNMENTS ON THE RECEIVER PLUS YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR SPEAKER CONFIGURATIONS, SPEAKER DISTANCE AND ALL LEVEL CALIBRATION SETTINGS. YOU WILL ALSO LOSE ANY PROGRAMMED RADIO STATIONS IN MEMORY.

To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go thru the setup menu for all custom settings.

If you are still experiencing the same issue(s), Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation below. We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thanks,

Forum Moderator

OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty Tried it all and sending it back

Post  maa42 Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:20 pm

The factory reset. This unit does not have a vcr button. Its the cbl/sat button. It says clear and resets. The problem is the issue persists.

I spent 30 minutes with onkyo customer support. Do not respond at all. No matter what we tried. In my case, I used the ethernet wire that connect to my pc. So, I know it is active. The usb was both the portable 2Gg type with nothing on it but the new firmware and my iphone connect and the wirless adapter.

We tried the setup again, going through setup hardware, etc.

Nothing worked.

I'm getting another one from Amazon. It seems like someone else on this thread bought one from Amazon recently. Could it be that they received a defective shipment? Please check, as I don't want to be going back and fourth.

maa42

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty Mine worked!

Post  techgrad03 Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:09 am

Did not get a chance to come back on here and post an update, but the factory reset worked for me! Have since had no issues and have actually been able to download the firmware updates via the wireless connection...thanks for the help!

techgrad03

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty Worked for me too!

Post  rklockner Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:06 pm

I know this is a relatively new product, so there isn't a lot to search on yet, so I thought that I would at least say that doing the factory reset worked for me.

FYI
1- I plugged the wireless adapter into the back of the receiver before doing the reset (which I didn't do the first time)
REMEMBER: This will erase all of your customized settings (but it would seem you have to do this to get it to work)
2 - I went in and stepped through their initial setup which ends with Network Activation
3 - When you select wireless, it tells you to do that when setup is finished (which it is)
4 - It automatically changed the input to USB (F) which is the front USB, since mine was in the back, I pushed USB on the remote once and it was set to USB (R).
5 - Within 15-30 seconds it was asking me for the network credentials.
6 - I then updated the firmware which takes significantly longer than the 60 seconds it suggests...

Since I got that cleared up, I love the unit. I had a Sony STR-DH810 (I think), which I thought was awesome, until I got the TX-NR717 up and running.

rklockner

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty 60 Minutes

Post  rklockner Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:04 am

My unit notified me that another firmware update was available, and on the screen it said 60 minutes (not 60 seconds like I wrote in my post). The lame part is that when I did it, it also kindly did a factory reset for me Sad

rklockner

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty Re: TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing"

Post  OnkyoUSA Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Correct- some firmware revisions will opt to doing a factory reset to fully write onto the receiver. If you have any more questions or concerns , Please contact our Product Support Dept for further assistance with this specific issue via our phone number and hours of operation (Monday- Friday 9am- 8pm/ Saturdays and Sundays 10am- 4pm EST). We would like to speak with you and work to troubleshoot and resolve your issue as prompt as possible.

Thank You;

Forum Moderator
OnkyoUSA
OnkyoUSA
Admin

https://onkyoproductsupport.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

TX-NR717 USB issues - "now initializing" Empty Worked for me tooo!!!

Post  turmoil Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:11 am

Guys I was on the same boat, brand new 717 (replaced my 2009 TX-SR707 under warranty) with network greyed out and firmware missing from menu.
Thanks to you I simply factory reset it, went through the Initial Setup menu and viola! king Network is up and running and firmware update notice immediately came up Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I'd like to add a personal note as an avid, slightly disappointed Onkyo fan, in hope this message gets to someone at Onkyo:

My brother bought an Onkyo TX-DS838 back in 1998. It replaced a Dolby ProLogic harman/kardon receiver he bought very shortly before (which sucked big time) and was one of the first home theater surround receivers I had experienced. The 838 was the first Dolby Digital AC-3 A/V receiver I laid my eyes and ears on and let me tell you, I COULD NOT BELIEVE the sound I was hearing. That receiver works TO THIS DAY, 15 years later, rocking our 5.1 speakers and entertaining our family, all those years without missing a beat. I loved the the 838 so much (and still do) that for many years it's been my benchmark for a powerful yet detailed and pleasing sound - any system that didn't sound like that amazing receiver simply disappointed me. It didn't have "it". I spent so many years of my life enjoying my favorite CD's being played back by that wonderful system that when I left my parents house I couldn't stop missing it. It was like someone had taken my oxygen mask off.

And so I swore that one day I will have my own Onkyo, and 9 months ago I finally did. Ordered myself a refurbished TX-SR707 from eBay with a pair of nice big speakers, hooked it up, cranked up the volume and immediately started feeling that wonderful sound I missed so badly caressing my ears (and kicking me in the guts)... What a joy!

Well, that joy didn't last too long because four months later I started having the dreaded "no sound" syndrome where the receiver would sometimes fail to turn on the speakers (2nd relay wouldn't click). Fortunately the distributor I purchased the receiver from (AmberTech, Australia) offered 2 years of full warranty and they were extremely helpful. I requested that they replace the HDMI board as according to research I've done was the culprit. Luckily they didn't have the part and to my surprise simply swapped the whole receiver with a BRAND NEW TX-NR717, some three generations newer. I was flabbergasted (still am, only picked it up yesterday), but as you can see, even this brand new out-of-the-box one isn't without fault.

Now I understand that competition is tough and costs must be kept low. But what Onkyo has done with all the x07, x08, x09 series and other models will not be forgiven by anyone who's not an Onkyo die-hard fan. These units are now notoriously unreliable and this will hurt Onkyo's name for many years to come. Reputation is one of those things that take very little to destroy and lots of time and hard work to (re)build and Onkyo have a long way to go to get their reputation back up. Someone up there made many bad decisions over the years and I sincerely hope that the lesson has been learned (i.e., the responsible have been sacked). For instance I can see right away that the 717 doesn't generate as much heat as the 707 did. The difference is significant. Regardless I placed two low RPM 120mm fans on top of it to make sure it NEVER boils itself to death.

At least the legendary sound hasn't changed (the only reason I bought an Onkyo). Let's all hope they don't screw up that one too.

turmoil

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down