Onkyo USA Product Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roku issue with my 809

+6
david0406
flint350
OnkyoUSA
Semp1
tasdisr
d6500k
10 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Roku issue with my 809 - Page 4 Empty Re: Roku issue with my 809

Post  vandregraff Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:16 am

david0406 wrote:Doug,
Thought I had my handshake issue fixed with the Roku2 and switching inputs between my STB and Roku2 after DD+51.1 or DD 5.1 on the Roku2 by changing the colorspace output to RGB on the STB. While that does indeed fix the handshake issue when switching between the STB and Roku2 after a dd+ or 5.1 stream it makes the picture on the TV picture look like crap. So I changed the STB back to ouput YCC 4:4:4 to get the better picture on my TV and of course the handshake issue occurs again when switching inputs after said streams. I just have one question. If I were to put some sort of HDMI switch ( 1 input 2 output) from the monitor out on the AVR then have the Roku2 connected to a different input on the TV so the macro on the Harmony One changes the Roku2 to a different input on the TV when " watching Roku" , would that possibly eliminate the handshake issue? Would that even work? I would not want to have to mechanically switch the HDMI switch to that the TV recognizes that same one signal source but on a different input on the TV. Does that make any sense?

Dave

You need to report this on the ROKU forums. You have reported the issue solved there and this will take some pressure off them to fix it.

EDIT - I think you are seeing exactly what I see. After playing a 5.1 or DD+ title from the Roku 2 it affects the black level on RGB inputs to the Onkyo. My work around is to adjust the RGB black level on my TV from standard to non-standard when using 5.1/DD+ titles from the Roku 2. A pain - but can be done.

If I were you I look would at other streamers WD Live, Apple TV etc before looking at HDMI switchers. Price will probably be similar and depending on content you view may be a better solution.

vandregraff

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:20 am

Dave, I know that Vandegraff has it spot on. It is exactly what needs to be done. Somewhere in the morass that is the Roku site, I pointed out that the Roku outputs a different Colorspace for content embedded with dd5.1 and +. Now while you can set up your Tv display to 0-255 or expanded or ycrcb, all other attached components WILL NOT be affected. That is why all other components do not have any problems. Only the Roku, which when necessarily needs to be set to expanded for proper playback of DD causes an issue if you happen to watch any programming with the Roku that IS Not encoded with DD. At least that is the way mine reacts. I can view my stb or bd/DVD with my panel set to auto, standard or enpanded and those devices work perfectly.

The issue is the Roku. While number 5 may be trying to help, he has not.

Onkyo, in my belief, will get to the bottom of both the pink screen and the black crush at some time in the near future. They will have to adapt their, IMO, excellent gear to work with a mass produced cheap streamer that is simply one buggy dongle.

I just could not stand the endless circle jerk over there and at least here there is hope.

I really felt for you Dave as 5 kept you and I to some extent jumping through the same hoops over and over.

Use the procedure of switching the Onkyo to direct and expanding the Colorspace on the display while the Roku is in DD mode. Switch back with non DD and Roku to standard-auto and you can use the Onkyo's processor as you will.

All the best fellas!

Typed on the iPod so please forgive any punctuation or spelling goofs.

Doug k

d6500k

http://www.6500kcalibrations.com

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:48 am

If I were you I look would at other streamers WD Live, Apple TV etc before looking at HDMI switchers. Price will probably be similar and depending on content you view may be a better solution.

Thanks Doug,
I did do that a long time ago. I was just trying to give it another shot but that is the last shot . Hoping I could resolve the issue. I did repost what I posted here over on the Roku forum.

Use the procedure of switching the Onkyo to direct and expanding the Colorspace on the display while the Roku is in DD mode. Switch back with non DD and Roku to standard-auto and you can use the Onkyo's processor as you will.

Your verbage is different than what is on my Samsung. Either way I just going back to my WDLive TV for Netflix and all other HD sources. Never have liked the direct mode for anything so I do use my Onkyo processor at will.

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:34 am

Well Doug. I took your advice and went out and bought a new Sony BDP-S590 Blu-ray player. It streams the big 3, Netflix, Amazon and Vudu. All 3 services stream the DD+ and DD5.1 audio codecs on this device and guess what? Go ahead you gotta guess??? I'm waiting....... NO handshake issues and no black level issues. The streams are beautiful and I can use my Onkyo's video processor at will. I am finally in my own little personal A/V heaven Very Happy . Roku has a problem with their device. It's sad the leader in content streamers appears to be looking the other way and not providing a fix for it's consumers. What a headache this has been. I am done seeking a a fix from them or even trying to go through any more wild goose chases trying to find a fix or come up with a workaround for a defective device. Best of luck and thanks for providing all the valuable help. Maybe Roku will sooner or later address the problems with their device.

Dave

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:51 am

OUTSTANDING!

Dave, you have been an inspiration to myself and others in your perseverance. Kudos to you.

I'd be happy to calibrate your display for a beer, glass of wine, a good chat... whatever.

You tried as hard as I did to work WITH roku. I consider you as a brother in arms and if I can help in the future with any HDTV situations, contact me through my website. Or send me a PM and I'll deliver my email address to you from here.

All the best and I really mean it when I say.... Happy Streaming!

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  dowop Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:20 am

I had the same problems with my 709 & 3009.
I am now using Apple TV & Sony 591 & 391 & they both stream beautiful.
I was looking for help on the Roku forum & they locked the thread on me when I got upset with 2 of the posters.

dowop

Back to top Go down

Post  david0406 Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:35 am

d6500k wrote:OUTSTANDING!

Dave, you have been an inspiration to myself and others in your perseverance. Kudos to you.

I'd be happy to calibrate your display for a beer, glass of wine, a good chat... whatever.

You tried as hard as I did to work WITH roku. I consider you as a brother in arms and if I can help in the future with any HDTV situations, contact me through my website. Or send me a PM and I'll deliver my email address to you from here.

All the best and I really mean it when I say.... Happy Streaming!

Doug k

Thanks Doug,
I'll take you up on that calibration offer. When you gonna be in FLA? Around the Tampa area. Tropical beaches, sunshine, Disney ay......... Very Happy .

It has taken me a long time to call Roku a defective device. It has TOO many things about it that I like i.e fast load times, beautiful app interfaces. This issue has killed it for me and Rokus lack of or at least at this point the appearance of a lack of care to remedy this issue. While I will still use it because I subscribe to MOG, my HD sources will all be streamed through my new Sony.

I'm sure I have seen you website address on our numerous Roku threads but I don't want to scroll through them all again. Tell me your website address so I can bookmark it and use it for reference. I will just PM you through here for your email address. Thanks again.

Dave

david0406

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:00 pm

I had the same problems with my 709 & 3009.
I am now using Apple TV & Sony 591 & 391 & they both stream beautiful.
I was looking for help on the Roku forum & they locked the thread on me when I got upset with 2 of the posters.

It is their way of settling nothing. You were never out of line IMO. Just pissed that you could not get a straight answer.

Without bashing the cute little cube any further, it is more for strange, bizarre content providers to deliver their goods with the rare but sometimes wonderful nugget. As far as a dedicated ht enthusiast that generally wants to view HD film content with DD exclusively, it simply falls very short.

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  dowop Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:54 pm

Thank you. It is not a problem with Onkyo as far as I am concerned.It is Roku. I have three other devices that work perfectly with my Onkyo receivers. I will not post on the Roku forum anymore.

dowop

Back to top Go down

Post  dowop Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:19 am

I see the rokuu5 is still saying its Onkyo fault even though the roku is the only device known not to work with Onkyo. Unbelievable!

dowop

Back to top Go down

Post  d6500k Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Yes Sir,

I've been finished with the Roku site and Roku for that matter save for when the Bride wishes to watch some British programming on Accorn.

I still think that it is a solve-able problem. What really isn't?

That being said, Roku's site can be a complete waste of time.

Doug k

d6500k

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4